Network Hub

[Mission Feedback] Defence in Depth

This mission was tested following today's Tactical Tuesday session, and has been tested once before as well.

For those who have now played it, what were your thoughts?

Was it fun? What were the good points and what could be improved?
    Was the mission briefing clear but concise enough? Were there any misunderstandings?
    Did the defenders (Independent) have enough time to prepare?
    Did anybody encounter any bugs or framerate issues?
    How did people feel about the gear setup?
    How was the balance between the two sides? How much of a numerical advantage should the attackers (Blufor) be given?
    Do you think there will be any additional issues when the mission is played with a full TT/Folk roster? Is it ready to enter TT/Folk rotation?

Any feedback, criticisms or recommendations are welcome.

Changes I am thinking of making for the next version:
    (Possibly) reducing the level of light further.
    Placing starting markers visible to Indy for the flare directions and colours.
    Giving the mission host the option of locking the Blufor Little Birds.
    Adding an explosives action to the detonator for the enter-able tower, so that Indy cannot just hold up in it and kill anyone who peeks through the doorway (not that that has been an issue yet).

I would say nix the floodlights and let the defenders carry primary flashlights. That way the attackers won't get NV blinded by the spotlight and can still swarm, and the defends get something a little more concise and all around useable. Also the explosives on the wall are super danger close, this is just a personal opinion but maybe both rounds of explosives can be pushed out more? Like, the tree line and then the yards. I dunno.

Otherwise seemed just fine.

Network Hub
    I enjoyed it quite a lot. I don't think that the NV gives much of an advantage to blufor, it might be something worth looking at depending how you want the mission to play. Over all I thought it was good fun, I would like to see a test with more players (maybe beginning of session or last planned mission) to see how heavy player counts affect the defenders as there is not much in the way of space in the castle. Maybe a larger outer barricade that they could post men at? The other thing is with static traps that people will learn where they are quickly, having either randomly placed explosives or have them placed in very important places that blufor will want to risk travelling through.

Remove the detonator form the scrap pile and give it to the CO so he will actually know when he can detonate (I touched all of them off randomly), also give indies personal flares which they can shoot up (AK with the GP launcher with flares).
    Leave the floodlights because if every indie will run around with a flashlight they will be easy pickings for BLU
    This might seem that BLU has a serious disadvantage, but IND really doesn't have a decent place to hide, everyone just rushes in the tower.

Bodge yea.. if those traps would be in like choke points (the gatehouse or other wall openings) then BLU would have to deploy smoke screens and hope for the best :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    I didn't play in yesterday's TT so it might not be in the spirit of the mission, but have you checked out the Tripflares that come with F2? They might serve as a nice counterbalance to BLUFOR'S NVG.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Kefirz View Post
    This might seem that BLU has a serious disadvantage, but IND really doesn't have a decent place to hide, everyone just rushes in the tower.
    But the tower IS a decent place to hide. It's super hard to effectively clear that.

I don't know how much you plan to play with it but the spawn as it is seems kinda odd. Spawn in no where with the hummers, then drive to the helos, when it would be all around faster to just drive there. Maybe spawning in the north east airfield with one or two hueys or black hawks with door gunners. Then IND has to pay attention to something other than the door to the tower. Give IND some rpgs to counter it so the choppers can't just hover and rain down fire, they have to keep moving, which makes door gunning more difficult.

Good mission overall, just needs some balancing tweaks. perhaps a higher ratio of blu for as the fort is pretty easily defensible.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    I didn't play in yesterday's TT so it might not be in the spirit of the mission, but have you checked out the Tripflares that come with F2? They might serve as a nice counterbalance to BLUFOR'S NVG.
    I had the same thought, and thus they are already part of the mission. They are a bit hard to distinguish at more than a few hundred metres however.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaco View Post
    I don't know how much you plan to play with it but the spawn as it is seems kinda odd. Spawn in no where with the hummers, then drive to the helos, when it would be all around faster to just drive there.
    The idea behind that is to give Blufor the option of either driving to the castle in the HMMVs or flying there in the Little Birds.
    If they starting by the Little Birds then Indy would no have enough time to prepare, or it would leave too long a distance to drive.
    I could automatically teleport Blufor depending on whether or not they slot helos, but on past attempts that has not worked correctly when played on a dedicated server.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaco View Post
    Good mission overall, just needs some balancing tweaks. perhaps a higher ratio of blu for as the fort is pretty easily defensible.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodge View Post
    Maybe a larger outer barricade that they could post men at? The other thing is with static traps that people will learn where they are quickly, having either randomly placed explosives or have them placed in very important places that blufor will want to risk travelling through.
    The castle is smaller than I would have hoped, it is a pity castle pieces cannot be placed in the editor, so I will consider more outer fortifications.
    I considered having random explosives in the area around the castle, but ultimately decided that it wouldn't be fun for Blufor players if they could die randomly before encountering any enemies due to bad luck. Each Indy fireteam has a saboteur however with satchel(s) so there is that at least.
    Some of the walls of the castle do have explosives in them ready to be triggered by the detonator, but in the last playthrough Indy had nobody by the detonator when we saw Blufor coming in through the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kefirz View Post
    Remove the detonator form the scrap pile and give it to the CO so he will actually know when he can detonate (I touched all of them off randomly), also give indies personal flares which they can shoot up (AK with the GP launcher with flares).
    If I do that then Indy would probably just all rush into the tower, and it would be very difficult for Blufor to force their way in.
    It would also remove the devious possibility of Blufor gaining access to the detonator and destroying Indy's castle around them.
    As for the flares, I thought I already gave them to Indy FTLs but I may be wrong.
    Last edited by kalelovil; 14-11-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kalelovil View Post
    Some of the walls of the castle do have explosives in them ready to be triggered by the detonator, but in the last playthrough Indy had nobody by the detonator when we saw Blufor coming in through the gate.
    To be honest that detonator concept is not a good idea.

Macaco, BLU have grenades.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    The castle is smaller than I would have hoped, it is a pity castle pieces cannot be placed in the editor, so I will consider more outer fortifications.
    There's an addon that allows you to place OA buildings in the editor, maybe something similar exists for A2 buildings.

Activated Node
    All the pieces of the Castle have classnames iirc. So the light version of MAP Editor Upgrade should do that just fine.

Network Hub
    Anybody know of a way to decrease the brightness of a searchlight through scripting?