Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    just did a quick config here:
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/C...7_Configurator

$1423 with Win8 x64 and zero additional software. Had to settle for the crap 3770k and the proper ROG maximus V mobo, as well as a 660ti.
    Not exactly a bargain....
    To me that's an $879 machine, which is the base config setup. If you want to link a custom setup that you made, select the "share" button on the left.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

those are hideous.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    To me that's an $879 machine, which is the base config setup. If you want to link a custom setup that you made, select the "share" button on the left.
    here you go:
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1ELBQA

looked at the config again, had to switch the case to a HAF-X to accommodate proper watercooling that can actually support decent overclocks. Also changed Win8 to Win8 Pro. Total is now $1600.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    those are hideous.
    can't argue with you there. Have no idea why gaming pc sites don't offer the more sensible Fractal Design, Lian Li or Silverstone cases.
    Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    sounds like useless bloatware, so maybe you're not picturing what I have in mind.

Falcon NW, Origin and others provide amazing PCs. Thing is, you pay a ridiculous premium for what they offer. These boutique builders are not catering for the average user at all.
    I would say that is exactly one of their markets. Casual people that want a good gaming PC with less hassle in having to know much of what you really need to do or get. Then you have their $3000 for people that know what they are doing and all the bells and whistles. You pay a premium for pre configured gaming PC, with overclocking, ability to easily overclock. Its ready to game and made to game. I would say Mac's price is not catering to the average user. They sell their product based on hype, marketing and nice form factors (and good product for those that use everything it comes with).

You mention Mac from the get go as the model to mimic, but everywhere else you complain about prices and premium. Mac is about being expensive and having a huge premium on their products. Part of is from more expensive form factor and providing more content generation apps and part of it is hype and Apple knowing they can charge the largest margins in the business.
    Last edited by Moraven; 14-11-2012 at 09:23 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    PC gaming is easy enough for me. I don't fear complexity. If I did, I'd buy a console or a Mac.
    pass

here you go:
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1ELBQA

looked at the config again, had to switch the case to a HAF-X to accommodate proper watercooling that can actually support decent overclocks. Also changed Win8 to Win8 Pro. Total is now $1600.
    So you doubled the base price by picking a motherboard that can support 4xSLI.

I think you have nobody to blame but yourself.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by nalano View Post
    so you doubled the base price by picking a motherboard that can support 4xsli.

sup dawg i heard you like video cards
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    can't argue with you there. Have no idea why gaming pc sites don't offer the more sensible Fractal Design, Lian Li or Silverstone cases.
    For the same reason nobody releases game trailers without gory neck stabbing and WUB WUB.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

So you doubled the base price by picking a motherboard that can support 4xSLI.

what does that have to do with the motherboard's overclockability? We're on different wavelengths here. If overclocking is not a priority, this whole configuration should be scrapped and replaced with a more reasonable core i5/z68 combo.

choice: not a good path to take for the uninitiated.
    Steam profile

what does that have to do with the motherboard's overclockability? We're on different wavelengths here. If overclocking is not a priority, this whole configuration should be scrapped and replaced with a more reasonable core i5/z68 combo.

choice: not a good path to take for the uninitiated.
    Are you attempting to make a point about choice by making purposefully stupid choices?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Are you attempting to make a point about choice by making purposefully stupid choices?
    what are you talking about? If you have a 3770k cpu in your config, it better be for overclocking (even though it wouldn't be the ideal choice for the mid-range). Otherwise it's just an unbalanced mess.
    Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This is the kind of thing I'd expect people to want. Something affordable. 300 uk pounds though, it would probably be $300 US dollars mind. As prices are high here. I've no idea if anyone would consider it worth it though. I'd say that's an entry level gaming PC as it would play XBox level games, it out performs an XBox for certain. :P

If anyone would consider a swap for some parts, it's possible I guess, but not much for 300 bucks.

You would need to compete with the Xbox right? Or would something totally different really kick off? Most can already go to existing suppliers to get the top range PCs.

Intel Pentium Dual Core G860 LGA1155 3.0GHz 3MB Ordered upon request 48.58
    ASRock S1155 Intel H61M DDR3 mATX Ordered upon request 32.71
    Crucial 1GB 240PIN DDR3 PC3-8500 NON ECC CL-7 Ordered upon request X2 = 12.69
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1 - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English In stock 72.99
    Samsung 320GB SpinPoint M7 (Enhanced) SATA-300 5400RPM 8MB 2.5" While stocks last 20.65
    LiteOn IHOS104 4x SATA Int BD-ROM Drive Bare In stock 39.20
    Akasa Genesis M Micro ATX Tower Case Black In stock 19.77
    Best Value Pulse 500W 120mm Silent Red Fan SATA PFC PSU In stock 12.99
    EVGA GeForce GT 620 700MHz 2GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI Ordered upon request 39.15

Delivery (8.1kg) 0.99
    Total (inc VAT) 299.72

For /$3000 you can buy anything you want PC wise. For 300, less so.

I wonder if Nvidia will ever release their geforce experience, it's basically an auto updating drive service that comes with auto tweaking options for your specific hardware

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Note for Mashakos: you can quote more than one post every time you reply - you could even reply to different people's posts in one reply! That way you wouldn't grind up 600 posts of you writing 2 line replies to a single quoted sentence from a decent length post.
    "Swans are so big, they're like the Ostriches of the bird world"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If anyone can point out a flaw in the above PC I posted for 300, I'd be happy to hear it. :D

I wouldn't. I'm a computer engineer, I can figure it out. If you have trouble building a PC, here where I'm from you can go to an online computer store and get a built-to-order computer assembled and delivered to your doorstep. The components are selected by a renowned Dutch computer tech website who update it every two months. You pay 50 euro on top of the component price for assembly and you get a warranty. A friend of mine used that service and was very happy.

what are you talking about? If you have a 3770k cpu in your config, it better be for overclocking (even though it wouldn't be the ideal choice for the mid-range). Otherwise it's just an unbalanced mess.
    Why are you mentioning overclocking when your OP was about offering an easy and convenient experience for the consumer? Overclocking, while much easier these days than it was years ago, is still a fairly advanced feature and also it places extra stress on the components which if you were marketing this to some kind of "for dummies" reader you would probably have to mention because it can cause components to fail quicker than normal. In any case, overclocking isn't necessary and is something which I would've thought only advanced users do to get a little extra juice out of their components with a little tweaking. I hardly think the consumers which you are speculatively targeting in your OP are really going to want to faff about with getting anal over cooling systems just to get a few hundred MHz more for playing Farmville or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by lordpiggsworth View Post
    Why are you mentioning overclocking when your OP was about offering an easy and convenient experience for the consumer?
    your point being? An overclocked system is not unstable or glitch prone if both the parameters and the operating temperatures are within safe levels. In other words, people like me who know what they are doing can think about overclocking without peeing their pants. So I don't have a problem envisioning an overclocking solution being utilised by a business.

In any case, overclocking isn't necessary and is something which I would've thought only advanced users do to get a little extra juice out of their components with a little tweaking.
    for certain mods and emulators, it's necessary. Try enbseries, or the any graphical enhancement mod. Again, the differentiating factor for the PC is the vast amounts of independently produced content and applications. If you just want to play vanilla games and browse youtube, why not just switch to a PS3 or an xbox360?

I hardly think the consumers which you are speculatively targeting in your OP are really going to want to faff about with getting anal over cooling systems just to get a few hundred MHz more for playing Farmville or whatever.
    farmville? ok.
    Steam profile