Secondary Hivemind Nexus

38 Studios, Big Huge Games - Auction in Nov

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/26/477...-for-nov-14-15

An auction in which 38 Studios' assets, including intellectual property for Kingdoms of Amalur, will be held Nov. 14-15, according toa listing on Heritage Global Partners' website.

Assets up for sale include those for Project Copernicus, the massively multiplayer online role-playing game that never shipped, sequel rights to the only game that 38 studios ever shipped, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, as well as Reckoning's merchandising rights. IP rights to former Red Sox pitcher and studio founder Curt Schilling's Big Huge Games are also up for grabs and include the strategy games Rise of Nations and its follow-up, Rise of Legends, Xbox Live Arcade title Catan, the Big Huge Games Engine and a "social media and development platform codenamed 'Helios.'"
    The lawyers should do a Humble Bundle of Amalur, Rise of Nations, Rise of Legends. Got THQ some quick monies, do it lawyers!

Rise of Nations I feel would sell well at GOG.com and Steam. Such a great game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    If this would mean, Amalur combat system would come back, it would be awesome.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Rise of Legends wasnt bad either. Arguably even better than Rise Of Nations.

There was a game that did the entire "rise through ages" thing better as an RTS, but I forgot the name. It even had 2 sequels.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    There was a game that did the entire "rise through ages" thing better as an RTS, but I forgot the name. It even had 2 sequels.
    Empire Earth?

Quote Originally Posted by KauhuK View Post
    Empire Earth?
    Ah yes, thats the one I meant.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Even though KoA was essentially quite repetitive I loved it to bits. There's a lot more that can be done with the franchise as this video of Project Copernicus shows:

The guys over at 38 Studios had flavor, that's for sure. Really hope a quality studio will pick it up.
    Last edited by Battlehenkie; 27-09-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Are the 'Rise' games under "Microsoft Games" banner - e.g. they'll never ever be seen again (see also Starlancer)???

Owning some of the rights to an IP or even a game and owning the right to resell the game are very different and everything which fell under that banner seems to have died a long death?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Ah yes, thats the one I meant.
    Which sadly got worse. EE II was ok, but not really any improvement on the first game. EEIII tried to go C&C 4 on the series and was terrible.

Network Hub
    I guess the good news is that Rise of Nations can be bought separately from Amalur

Amalur isn't bad, but I presume some RPG developer would just bury Rise of Nations if it was bundled with it

yeah, the third empire earth was shit. but the second was still great
    - Tom De Roeck.