Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    No relationship minigames

Dear god, YES!

Although I've berated the GTA series and the direction it's gone in IV, I'll probably end up playing this, the same way I did for IV. But by making the game less serious, I'm inclined to think they'll be taking some tips from Saints Row The Third, which attempted to follow a whimsical yet serious method of story telling.

Also interested in the animals part. I'm sure this feature will be helpful for a slew of side-missions such as hunting, rescue, smuggling and what-not. It remains to be seen if any goat based easter eggs are included.

Cheers,
    DeathPig

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Some of those points sound interesting. I particularly like that they are looking at MP3 for the combat inspiration, which had some excellent gunplay that had a weighty feel to it.

I'm a little sceptical on the characters doing their own thing when not controlled. Being able to switch between them on the fly is a sign that there will at least be some randomness to it and not all scripted, but I can't see how they will do anything meaningful without messing up the storyline. If they end up just wondering the streets, perhaps buying clothes or eating, but not much else I can't really see the point.

It does make me long for a city based open world game that attempts to do something along the lines of STALKER's A-life system, with police raiding gangs, crooks on collecting protection money and the possibility of people fighting back, others performing drive bys on rival gangs, and a whole load of other things that could go on in a city that is filled with organised crime. San Andreas attempted a little of this the territory control idea, but I'm sure something a lot more interesting could be done now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I think in terms of the characters doing their own thing, they mean that if you switch to them you might have them be at a bar, or something like that, you won't just spawn in their home. An example they gave was Trevor waking up on the beach surrounded by a couple of dead bikers. As far as I'm aware if it's a mission that involves just one of the characters you can't switch. However you can switch when others are with you, so you could play a level as the sniper, then switch to the guy on the ground at a whim.

Something I forgot was that you can also hire men to go with you on a heist now and the quality of those you hire will affect how effective they are.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    This makes GTA 5 look crap:
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I think i finally understand when people say GTA 4 is boring..I stopped playing it after lets say,27 hours in to the game,it was fun,driving and shooting people doing missions..Then it was just that,drive here shoot this motherfucker,drive there,repeat etc.

The missions need some fucking variety,also i stopped caring for story :(

I'm cautiously optimistic about GTAV thus far. Hopefully they won't spend five seconds on optimization and saddle it with GFWL like IV.
    Why yes, I am one of those quiet psychotic types.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    I think i finally understand when people say GTA 4 is boring..I stopped playing it after lets say,27 hours in to the game,it was fun,driving and shooting people doing missions..Then it was just that,drive here shoot this motherfucker,drive there,repeat etc.

The missions need some fucking variety,also i stopped caring for story :(
    I played hours of the game and enjoyed it but I think the mission variety is pretty poor, the pacing of the DLC's was much better IMO.

@Adamant, hopefully if it comes to PC it'll be similar to Max Payne 3 in terms of port quality. That had no GFWL and runs pretty great.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    This makes GTA 5 look crap:
    That. There are no words for this. None. I am no pro, but I've read the mags back in the day. To understand what they are doing, in real time, is mind boggling. The guys at Pixar, when they first came up with the ideas of animation, would never even imagine this. I thought such things were legend and myth, never to be done. That... is... not... possible?

If they pull off that engine (perhaps using pixilation over the darkness, which is limited by the number of "photons", as the likes of Bryce does), then EVERYTHING changes.

It's impressive, but I mean it's not a game at all and to compare it to one and say it looks better doesn't really make sense at this point.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    It's impressive, but I mean it's not a game at all and to compare it to one and say it looks better doesn't really make sense at this point.
    ^ This

Compare like for like. Don't 'this blows that away' when somethings essentially a tech demo devoid of any game play.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    ^ This

Compare like for like. Don't 'this blows that away' when somethings essentially a tech demo devoid of any game play.
    Your comment would make little sense unless you were the Director of Pixar and V-Ray or something. And even then, I care not for your opinion.
    It's a render engine technology. It is not a game. I did not comment on the game. I commented on the graphics and image fidelity. The type they show, blows the way games are rendered out of the water. The gameplay is still down to the programmers and designers.

It's just that I saw that post in a game forum first, not an art forum. So continue to follow your weird views in this forum, but nothing you can say about that video will have any relevance. :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    The video was presented alongside "this makes GTA5 look like crap."

From a technical standpoint, yes, it does make GTA5s engine look like crap if we were to compare tech demos to each other. But that's not what's been done. What's been done is people are comparing a tech demo for an experimental and in development engine to actual gameplay. And you agreed with what he was saying and didn't mention anything about how you were comparing the engines and not the games.

So until this is in games and being used properly, it doesn't make GTA5 look like crap. It is rather impressive stuff though and I look forward to seeing what people do with it. The real time shadows look amazing and the room at the end looks spectacular. How much power does that require though?
    Last edited by Jesus_Phish; 07-05-2013 at 09:36 AM.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Network Hub
    It's not all that impressive if you've been following the things happening elsewhere to be honest.

Real time raytracing was being done over a decade ago already. And a short glance at that tech demo doesn't show me much I haven't seen yet. See all the duplication there? Pretty cheap to render. Notice the apparent loss of resolution during movement? The jittering?

There are many interesting things about the rendering, but as usual gamers mistake the facade of a game for the actual thing. How well it might perform with animation, sound, game logic, threading, model loading code, ai code etc. bolted on..well..
    Kailany Hayssam seems to be pretty well aware of that, though. I don't see the grandiose statements of people like "unlimited detail"...yeah, remember those guys? Because I do.

The duplication scene was easily the least impressive but the final scene looked amazing to me. How it'd work in a game obviously still has to be seen. If that scene is for all purposes a picture you can walk around, it's a bit crap isn't it. How does it interact when things start changing in the scene, when the player starts doing things.
    Last edited by Jesus_Phish; 07-05-2013 at 01:29 PM.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    The video was presented alongside "this makes GTA5 look like crap."

From a technical standpoint, yes, it does make GTA5s engine look like crap if we were to compare tech demos to each other. But that's not what's been done. What's been done is people are comparing a tech demo for an experimental and in development engine to actual gameplay. And you agreed with what he was saying and didn't mention anything about how you were comparing the engines and not the games.

So until this is in games and being used properly, it doesn't make GTA5 look like crap. It is rather impressive stuff though and I look forward to seeing what people do with it. The real time shadows look amazing and the room at the end looks spectacular. How much power does that require though?
    "This makes GTA 5 look crap" was his quote. Who mentioned the play style? You think a game engine is dependant on gameplay mechanics? I've seen games ported to different render engines (Minecraft, and any other game ported to/from consoles. Plus some indy and some triple A stuff).
    Come again?

Most other real time ray trace rendering looked like slideshows to me, and that was with simple scenes. If things have changed recently, then I'm late to the show. Care to post any examples?

GTA 5 is a game and in this thread we are discussing the game, the things that will be in that game, the design of that game.

What he has shown is not a game. It's an engine. It's a tech demo of an engine.

Engine =/= game.

Engine != game.

If you want to be accurate, that video makes Euphoria and RAGE look like crap.

Steam ID

I can't really say if GTA V looks amazing because I've only seen one video for it; I know I want to play it in principle but I don't want to engage with the hype until it's confirmed for the PC. It may look amazing in trailers but it presumably won't look so great when it comes out for current gen consoles, which is where we're going to see it first. I'm still smarting over Red Dead Redemption not showing up on the PC, personally, so I hope Rockstar do the right thing this time.

Activated Node
    I can't wait to cruise through the mountains on a motorcycle. Cities get so boring after a while.

GTA5 doesn't actually look that impressive to me. Am I the only one?

Plus, it'll probably get the typical Rockstar(TM) treatment for PC. [In other words, it'll come out a year later and with no PC-specific features or native AA]

I still think Red Dead Redemption was Rockstar's Magnum Opus. I don't think they're ever going to top that, and RDR wasn't even on PC.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronSky View Post
    GTA5 doesn't actually look that impressive to me. Am I the only one?
    You are not. I call gameplay or gtfo.

I thought GTA IV is massively over rated, but judging by its success, it might mean that GTA V will be more of the same.

That, and I don't care for bad ports, and GTA IV was literally unplayable on release..