Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot is now accepting your loot

As touched on here

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...epic-trailers/

You can now buy into the closed beta and get yourself in-game money and toys and as all a-la-mode F2P games do, it has a tiers (same in $ and EU - see Gamersgate for an option in £ which may or may not be cheaper depending)

9 gets you into the beta with 15 of in-game monies and some toys
    39 gets you into the beta with 50 of in-game monies and even more toys (including the mage class when it's ready)
    99 gets you into the beta with 150 of in-game monies and all the toys including your name in the credits

There are scary people who buy top-tier rewards DESPITE them being there to make the other things seem like better value - but anyway, your loot for their loot is now an option...

I'm intrigued - I dislike the 'taken straight from Deathspank and OMD" humour which seems a bit crude and unsubtle but multiplayer Diablo with Towers is appealing IF the F2P aspect hasn't been made too punishing for people who don't have their own island...

p.s. I note Gamersgate are touting the extra in-game cash you get over purchase price as a 'discount' which is mildly dishonest?!

p.p.s. someone asked the reasonable question as to what would happen in in-game monies in the event of a wipe (it's closed beta so that's a fair chance) and they're saying there's none planned - which makes me suspect that this is another UBI "it's not finished but charge for it anyway" moment (see M&M6, Trials and so on) :(

Anyone playing this already (you could beg invites until recently - still can, in fact!?)
    Last edited by trjp; 10-06-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I'm sure there are better ways to be fantastically irresponsible with money.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oh I'm sure there are - but this is Diablo mixed with a Tower Defence game - that is quite a compelling concept.

Despite my horrible experiences with UBI, part of me wants to accept that the developers may not be morons or idiots and that they may make something good.

But I want someone else to tell me that

a - this is mostly true
    b - that the game is ready for play (most reports seem to confirm this)
    c - that it's not a 'person with the most cash wins' game

Oddly, it also makes NO mention of UPlay and the UPlay shop doesn't have the packs available - which is weird...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Oh I'm sure there are - but this is Diablo mixed with a Tower Defence game - that is quite a compelling concept.
    If you work for Zynga, maybe.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    If you work for Zynga, maybe.
    Oh nonononono - take any ARPG loot-em-up but give yourself the ability to build a fortress with your ill-gotten-gains - inside which you can build things, mine things and generally horde your wealth.

Extend that so that other people can attempt to rob your fortress - and you can attempt to rob theirs - and I think you have a rather interesting idea.

If it wasn't UBI, didn't have 'that' humour and I wasn't a bit skeptical of how you monetise it - I'd already be in there...

e.g. it's the way they've chosen to MARKET it which puts me off - the game itself I'm sold on

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Played this a while ago but stopped due to the constant resets. I doubt these will be gone given that you know can spend real money(?)

It's okay for some mindless fun but nothing I see my self playing for a long time. Neither the Diablo, nore the Dungeon Keeper part of it was all too exciting.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Their current position is "no more planned resets" but if they do that, they'll refund all money spent (as in-game - not real) money of course.

I'm guessing asking for real money suggests they think it's mostly done tho - famous last words and all...

Network Hub
    Diablo mixed with Tower defence and/or Farmville? sounds like "The Horde" to me. damn i loved that game when i was young.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hmmmmz - they apparently did a big piece of this at E3, during which they invited people to "Join our Free Beta" - the director even gave away the address of his castle, which to me is a "come play now" and not "come queue to play now" sort of invite?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlsZgjLHbeM

I don't think that was wise - it will just put people's backs-up (and indeed has, if their forums are anything to go by) - esp as they are charging for instant access!?

Oh dear
    Last edited by trjp; 11-06-2013 at 02:18 PM.

“People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    In fairness you're buying in-game cash - and getting more than you'd get if you did that - with a few bonuses thrown-in.

But if the number of spiders I've seen in Neverwinter is anything to go by (they cost $120) it's a good move, business wise...

After watching the trailer yesterday I thought: "that was way less funny than they intended it to be". Like a direct-to-dvd Shrek knockoff.
    currently playing: Assetto Corsa

Steam/GFWL/PSN: namefinder

Quote Originally Posted by Makariel View Post
    After watching the trailer yesterday I thought: "that was way less funny than they intended it to be". Like a direct-to-dvd Shrek knockoff.
    Yeah, the whole presentation was painful. The worst part was when he paused for applause that never happened "And you can raid my dungeon right now! ................." and it took a full five seconds before the drones realised it was their cue to clap.
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    I am so glad somebody cut a Youtube clip of this!
    *bookmarks for later use*

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Makariel View Post
    It's trying too hard - the more recent trailers are WAY WAY better than the earlier ones tho, which read like discarded scripts from Deathspank (which itself read like discarded scripts from something funny).

I think they may have misjudged this entire thing - the sort of person who wants to play a Diablo/Castle Doctrine game is not the sort of person who laughs at bleeped swearing...

Do you get the overall feeling that someone had a great idea here but that EVERYONE who's gotten involved with it since has misjudged it - in the way that a parent would misjudge a child and turn it's play into something boring and staid whilst THINKING it's young, fresh and trendy? :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    OK, so £15 I'd forgotten I was even owed showed-up in PayPal and as I'm averse to seeing random piles of money just disappear into the 'account which is used for bills and shit" - I spent some of it on the basic cheapskate pack so I could play this.

Why? Well I really didn't want to give money to UBI but the idea is very appealing to me and I wanted to see if the game under the spangle was worth playing.

And is it? Yes.

First surprise - it didn't require/install or reference UPlay in anyway. OK, I already have it but it doesn't call/run/use it at all - it uses a standard MMO-style patcher/launcher. And it's server is called 'bloomberg' which made me laugh.

Second surprise - no voice acting for the tutorial - given the style of the videos, this is a PLUS.

How's the combat? It's not bad, it's a slow-ish paced ARPG with click-to-move and a small range of skills (chosen from an ever-growing pile). Enemies are suitably varied and require a bit of a tactical approach (e.g. kill the necromancer first). I'm playing as the knight and he is a BIT slow to move which means you're stuck soaking-up damage and hoping for health drops but it's not awful - and yes, you can make pots in your own castle.

How's the castle building? It's fun and I find that playing the game gives you loads of ideas on how to improve your own castle - you can expand it and stack enemies up and mix traps in and stuff quite well - there will clearly be 'IMBA' combinations of this stuff (Necromancers hiding in the hamster-wheel-of-death tracks seems to be one already).

How's the F2P? Only thing I've seen that 'Blings' (the currency) does is reduce the time it takes to build stuff. You're encouraged (with free Blings) to do this in the tutorial but it seems unnecessary in real life - unless you simply must have it NOW (it takes between 2 and 20 mins to build the early stuff).

How's the griefing? Heh - you raid other people's castles - they raid yours. Yes, you can intercept them mid-raid but I've no idea how - yet. You can replay their raid too - which is a nice touch - and then you can just raid them straight back.

Castles appear to get a 'shield' after being raided which stops other people raiding them immediately - not sure exactly how that works yet tho.

So is it OMD but much better? - Hell YES

Do I need to pay for it - Hell No - unless you, like me, are impatient...

Go ahead - smash my castle...
    Last edited by trjp; 13-06-2013 at 04:12 PM.

I gone through almost half of my bling already. Bought a few purple items like a crossbow, and a boss for my castle and yeah, using it to finish stuff now is too damn easy too.
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    *waiting for gameplay*

I will wait for the obligatory Total Biscuit video, and judge based on that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    *waiting for gameplay*

I will wait for the obligatory Total Biscuit video, and judge based on that.
    I'm all for video reviews but I find TB unwatchable because he puts himself in front of the game he's playing (metaphorically).

I'd do you a gameplay video but there's an NDA on such things - there are, however, officially sanctioned (I think) Twitch sessions for it.

Thing is - the actual castle attacks start-off super-basic - there's you and maybe 2 groups of enemies and a mini-boss and that's it - but that develops over time and you've always thinking of how you can use what you've seen to make your castle tougher to defeat.

I think the real key to this will be how much you can skew things by levelling stuff out-of-order (I've already been in castles around my level with MUCH higher bosses which I couldn't beat) etc. etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopig View Post
    I gone through almost half of my bling already. Bought a few purple items like a crossbow, and a boss for my castle and yeah, using it to finish stuff now is too damn easy too.
    I think the range from 'easy' to 'hard' is tight - and I need to know more about the sort of losses I'll suffer against earnings before I work-out what's worth buying too

I think minmaxing will be harder in this game than most because you max your char - your castle suffers - you max your castle and you cannot progress and so on.

COuld get grindy either way?