Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

New Call Of Duty Rumor

So less than one week after launch of the latest Call of Duty, there has been rumor of new Call of Duty in development...... and scheduled for launch within next year! Now we are in the second last month of this year!!

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1399456..._consoles.html

Given Activision's track record, it wont leak info of a new COD if it cannot be launched within a year. This franchise has become so hot that it doesn't need more than a year to hype up for a new installment.

And you can imagine the damage it can do to the sale of Black Ops 2, so Activision naturally denied it:

https://twitter.com/InfinityWard/sta...62021884559361

I think this implicates that Activision realized COD has reached its limit of potential. They not gonna wait. Unless they can revolutionize it so it wont be just a hi-res version of Counter-Strike as all previous installments be.
    Last edited by squirrel; 16-11-2012 at 02:02 PM.

B-but... everyone already knows there'll be another COD next november! It's just the way the world works!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Wait,you are actually excited by this ?

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Wait,you are actually excited by this ?
    Well, I for one am not, because, anyway,

Call of Duty, inevitable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    This just in:

Annualized franchises continue to saturate market and make announcements about being the biggest something-something entertainment something ever, as innovation and inventiveness leak out, bit by bit.

And at 11:

How publishers hugged music games and Tony Hawk to death, brought to you by Lego Ass4ssin's Speed & Call of Honorfield 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Annualized franchises continue to saturate market and make announcements about being the biggest something-something entertainment something ever, as innovation and inventiveness leak out, bit by bit.
    This is just a very classical McDonald's way of marketing. Yes, you know McDonald is selling junk food. They dont taste great. Yet, they are highly standardized. You know exactly the junk food you gonna buy is perfectly within expected (though often not satisfactorily) quality. With low price, this is a very strong competitive edge.

Run by a very aged engine, you won't run into any crazy bugs. Think of it, have you heard of any serious bugs out of any of Call of Duties?

But seriously, if they want my money, they better deliver us the free COD Elite first.

Don't forget just moving your gun assets folder into next year's directory. It saves a lot of time.

Activated Node
    The annual release will simply go on until people stop buying it. I don't see anything bad with Activision satisfying an obviously existing demand for a new CoD every year.

It's not that people can't pick other shooters... they just refuse to do so. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Dekkard View Post
    The annual release will simply go on until people stop buying it. I don't see anything bad with Activision satisfying an obviously existing demand for a new CoD every year.

It's not that people can't pick other shooters... they just refuse to do so. ;)
    Problem is suddenly no one wants to make anything except CoD because that's the only thing that's selling millions of copies. The law of supply and demand punches the minority in the crotch.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

You could argue that annualizing franchises (especially if close competitors are doing it) can squeeze a genre/dev to death. See: Neversoft and Harmonix.

I don't know if I'd actually argue the folly of it too vehemently. You're right, they're satisfying a market demand. If they squeeze super scripted near-future fake-war military FPSes to death, I probably wouldn't mind.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Yep, Shooop, that's where it gets to be a problem. All of the COD-likes that come out.
    Of course Natural Selection 2 keeps me from worrying too much about that.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    Problem is suddenly no one wants to make anything except CoD because that's the only thing that's selling millions of copies. The law of supply and demand punches the minority in the crotch.
    Yea... and funny enough, every new shooter looks more or less like CoD. So maybe I was wrong when I said that people could actually pick another shooter than CoD. There's CoD... and 1,000,000 CoD clones out there. Sad...

I've been looking at NS2 with interest. But no one I know is going to buy it - is it really hard to work with a PUG?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    No one is surprised by this. The only marginally interesting thing from the article is that the next CoD is looking to be released on the next-gen systems. That means it is very likely that the new Sony and Microsoft hardware will be out in not much more than years time (not surprising either, but as close as a confirmation as we are likely to get for a few months.)

Activated Node
    I've been looking at NS2 with interest. But no one I know is going to buy it - is it really hard to work with a PUG?
    NS2 looks awesome, but I'm not going to get it as it appears to be too complex for just a few casual gaming hours after work. The whole RTS element (Commander) is too hardcore for me. Maybe great for hardcore gamers though...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    No no no. THQ is the company that does crotch-punching. Activision and Infinity Ward shoot​ minorities.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    No no no. THQ is the company that does crotch-punching. Activision and Infinity Ward shoot​ minorities.
    The snark is strong with you sir. And I like it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekkard View Post
    NS2 looks awesome, but I'm not going to get it as it appears to be too complex for just a few casual gaming hours after work. The whole RTS element (Commander) is too hardcore for me. Maybe great for hardcore gamers though...
    I love the game and have never played as commander.

It's hit or miss, but it usually works. It is not rare to have some savvy vets on your team. It is a game that heavily relies on voice communication, so when teams are using mics the PUGs can seem much more organized than in a lot of games.

NS2 is the anti-COD in many ways. The developers have stated they will never release paid-for DLC that splinters the community. They support modding and modded servers. Also, ten years until they released the sequel.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I guess it could be exciting because it means that the new bunch of consoles will be out next year. But everyone knew they were coming anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I guess it could be exciting because it means that the new bunch of consoles will be out next year. But everyone knew they were coming anyways.
    You're right, that's a more interesting conversation.

Here's a purported leaked hardware diagram for the next Xbox:
    http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/...=292606,00.jpg

It's x86, basically a high-end PC designed by an insane person. 6-core cpu, with backup 3-core ppc cpu for backward compatibility, 4 gigs of RAM, 1ghz GPU of undetermined size, "8x xbox 360 performance target"

So, what does that mean for ActiWarfare and its ilk? This aged engine probably has to go, but I would bet on one or two more releases using this engine and an up-resed PC-port for the new consoles next year. They'd be insane to drop support for a Fucking Massive install base on current-gen consoles. Especially because they've got to keep breaking those records.