Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    Problem is suddenly no one wants to make anything except CoD because that's the only thing that's selling millions of copies. The law of supply and demand punches the minority in the crotch.
    And yet there's more non-CoD FPSes than CoD clones. By far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    And yet there's more non-CoD FPSes than CoD clones. By far.
    Which are not indie games or otherwise generally ignored by just about everyone in the world? Let's see we've got Half-Life, Halo (which is now turning into CoD with new QTEs), Borderlands, Counter-Strike and what else?

This is 2012. Check your calender.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    You could argue that annualizing franchises (especially if close competitors are doing it) can squeeze a genre/dev to death. See: Neversoft and Harmonix.
    The plastic guitar fad was exploited very well. You think that genre had any chance to survive?
    As for Tony Hawk, that's from the same era as Limp Bizkit. Skating just isn't cool anymore. Military shooters are cool since they were invented.

MW3 was the low point of COD. It was very front loaded but the first BLOPS had better monthly sales later. BLOPS2 has good word of mouth so it may overtake both.

I'm not sure what to think of another Modern Warfare game. Perhaps Activision feared BLOPS2's reception and wanted a game in a proven time period next year. They did this with WaW, which was supposed to save the franchise if the modern setting flopped.

Or maybe they're playing it safe with the cross-gen title while the A-team works on something big for the first next-gen exclusive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Which are not indie games or otherwise generally ignored by just about everyone in the world? Let's see we've got Half-Life, Halo (which is now turning into CoD with new QTEs), Borderlands, Counter-Strike and what else?

This is 2012. Check your calender.
    In 2012:
    Natural Selection 2, Primal Carnage, Doom 3 again, Borderlands 2, Dishonored kinda, Counterstrike GO, Tribes Ascend, Firefall, Planetside 2, The Darkness 2, Gotham City Impostors, that sniper game I can't remember the name of, Halo 4, Serious Sam

'CoD-clones' in 2012:
    CoD, Medal of Honor, Blacklight Retribution, maybe.
    Last edited by Smashbox; 16-11-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Banned
    It works out even better if you count from Modern Warfare(so last four years). You get things like DX:HR, two STALKER games, Singularity, Metro, Borderlands, Cryostasis, FEAR 2, Crysis: Warhead, Crysis 2, Dead Island, RAGE... quite a list against what... two MoH games and Homefront? Maybe FEAR 3 if you want to try really hard? Killzone too if you want to include console-only titles.

Obscure Node
    I guess he refers to the multiplayer.

The majority of shooters nowadays use the same experience based system. The traditional gameplay where all the weapons are unlocked is almost gone thanks to Call of Duty...

DX:HR wasn't a FPS. At least, not a very good one if you played it that way.

The STALKER franchise has been over since 2010. *Sniffle*

Singularity worked out fairly generic. And it hasn't been heard from since 2010.

Metro was half-baked so hopefully the sequel gets it right. This is only upcoming FPS I'm even paying attention to now.

I mentioned Borderlands. 2 is one of my GotY contenders.

Cryostasis was in 2009 and didn't leave much of an impact.

FEAR 2 was poor back in 2009. It hasn't gotten better with age.

The Crysis series turned into CoD after the (still awesome) Warhead stand-alone expansion in 2008.

Dead Island wasn't technically a FPS - except when it tried to be in its second act and failed at it horribly.

Rage... What else even needs to be said about how badly that turned out?

There's not much going on in the FPS genre more recently. Only two pure FPSs I see as doing their own thing and doing it well right now are Borderlands 2 and (REALLY HOPEFULLY) Metro Last Light. Everything else is either an indie, an older game, or a completely scripted, QTE-riddled mess in between nice set pieces and topped off with "Press Left Mouse/Right Trigger to Continue".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Everything else is [...]
    Eh. Okay.

/10char

Indies usually don't do shooters. They do first-person, but shooting things while in that perspective is usually never the game's focus.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    When a Bulletstorm, Cryostasis, Singularity or Spec Ops comes along it bombs.
    I blame retards that think every game with military dudes is a COD clone. I also blame antagonistic PC gamers that won't buy something because they're too good for it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I don't begrudge people their choices. Ever since I started working at my new job, I found myself surrounded by console gamers who really, without any hint of irony, enjoy the AssCreed and CoD series. They're having fun, and we're not them.

As for why Bulletstorm failed to achieve its sales goals, there's a variety of reasons for that. It certainly didn't appeal to me, and I like​ stupid fun.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    When a Bulletstorm, Cryostasis, Singularity or Spec Ops comes along it bombs.
    I blame retards that think every game with military dudes is a COD clone. I also blame antagonistic PC gamers that won't buy something because they're too good for it.
    Hey, I bought Bulletstorm! It wasn't without some noticeable flaws though which a sequel might have fixed. But... Yeah, now I'm getting depressed.

I tried the Spec Ops demo, just didn't like how it played.

Network Hub
    Yeah, I heard it's going to be called:

Call Of Duty: Strategic War Action Liberation Line Of Penetration

Banned
    stuff
    So... what is your actual complaint? That CoD is popular? I thought everyone got over this already.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It jumped up to $500 million in sales within 24 hours. Not going away anytime soon.

To each their own. I borrowed MW2, did campaign. Had fun with a little online to get away from the PC (was on PS3). Some aggravating things but good dirty fun.

Have plenty of other great games to get pulled into every iteration, plus I like BF3 and vehicles more.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I don't begrudge people their choices. Ever since I started working at my new job, I found myself surrounded by console gamers who really, without any hint of irony, enjoy the AssCreed and CoD series. They're having fun, and we're not them.

As for why Bulletstorm failed to achieve its sales goals, there's a variety of reasons for that. It certainly didn't appeal to me, and I like​ stupid fun.
    What's wrong with AssCreed ? It's one of the best series out there.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    This just in:

Annualized franchises continue to saturate market and make announcements about being the biggest something-something entertainment something ever, as innovation and inventiveness leak out, bit by bit.

And at 11:

How publishers hugged music games and Tony Hawk to death, brought to you by Lego Ass4ssin's Speed & Call of Honorfield 9.

If you are insinuating cod is going to go the way of tony hawks and guitar hero then you are wrong.
    Neither of those games had the amount of skinnerbox and gambling mechanics cod has. Cod is all about indulging in base instincts and as long as it does that people will buy it.

Activision found the magic formula to sell games to the mainstream, their version of highly caffinated and sugary drinks.

Those of us who stick to water can only shake our heads but nothing will change.
    The people who indulge in these base instincts aren't even aware, cfr:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgar View Post
    What's wrong with AssCreed ? It's one of the best series out there.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    In 2012:
    Natural Selection 2, Primal Carnage, Doom 3 again, Borderlands 2, Dishonored kinda, Counterstrike GO, Tribes Ascend, Firefall, Planetside 2, The Darkness 2, Gotham City Impostors, that sniper game I can't remember the name of, Halo 4, Serious Sam

'CoD-clones' in 2012:
    CoD, Medal of Honor, Blacklight Retribution, maybe.
    Someone hasn't played firefall, what a turd of a game:p
    Also yes, if you complain about cod and you don't own natural selection 2 then die in a fire you mangy hypocrites.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Exactly - so what if people like these games? You know what I hate? Shitty indie art games. "Here, walk around this big environment at a snail's pace while I flash introspective lines of text at you which have no point. That'll be $10 thanks." But apparently people do enjoy these silly things and pay for them. I think it's ridiculous, just as I think the Call of Duty assembly line shooters are absurd, but if people are enjoying them, it's hard to criticise the players.

By all means criticise the devs and the game content, because I sure as hell do for bad indie art games. But this "OMFG COD MOUTHBREATHERS OMFFFGGGG IF THEY ALL DIED WE'D BE PLAYING DEAR ESTHER 6: RETURN OF THE LETTERS" kind of thing is basically the opposite side of the spectrum. Kind of like the extreme left arguing with the extreme right - neither side is good. CoD exists to fill that pointless-action blockbuster hole much like action movies. There's nothing inherently wrong with that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Also yes, if you complain about cod and you don't own natural selection 2 then die in a fire you mangy hypocrites.
    Yeah, screw personal preferences! Right?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post

Yeah, screw personal preferences! Right?
    Reading comprehension bubba, I said those people who say they hate cod and complain about everything it does wrong, and then don't show interest in a game that does everything they keep complaining about right, are hypocrits.

I did not say people who like cod are hypocrites.

It's like complaining about racism then crossing the street when you see a black dude coming your way.