Obscure Node

What did you do to the back button?

Talk about frustrating...
    Every time I hit back, it starts back, then reloads the same page I was on.
    Sites that do this (and there are quite a few) need to be torn down and rebuilt.

Seriously, breaking the most basic functionality of a web browser for no apparent reason is inane!

This is now happening on every page I browse to on RPS (excluding the forum apparently).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I cannot duplicate the problem you're having.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think it's the twitter or facebook links at the top of the articles that do it.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Network Hub
    It's an outdated version of firefox, that's what. Go update it.

Try updating firefox, see if that helps! We have had reports of back-button strangeness before, so it could be something playing up again.

I've had it happen occasionally these days. The problem was gone for several months, but it came back a few weeks ago I think. Though, it doesn't happen every time. If I run into a repeatable problem, I'll report back.

Obscure Node
    "update firefox"? really? :| its a fucking script redirecting forward when I hit back.
    Then assuming I'm using firefox (which I'm not, I'm using Iron and chrome which are both fully up to date.)
    I finally disabled the stupidity by blocking all social buttons with a second adblock+ plugin https://adversity.googlecode.com/hg/Antisocial.txt

Those damn social buttons have been nothing but trouble..

Quote Originally Posted by Nesetalis View Post
    "update firefox"? really? :| its a fucking script redirecting forward when I hit back.
    Then assuming I'm using firefox (which I'm not, I'm using Iron and chrome which are both fully up to date.)
    You never specified your browser, so people zoomed in on the easiest and most probable cause, please be more specific in future and people can be more accurate. Its not something that's affected me (I'm not a firefox user, too), so I was assuming it was something to do with your setup. Glad you found a solution.

Obscure Node
    the problem is how inane the response is. A script is doing something rather stupid, must be the browsers fault. That doesn't even make sense. A redirect is a specific piece of javascript, it has to be implemented exactly to even work.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hmm. Interesting. I was about to post and say that i hadn't experienced the issue, but I checked it out and it is happening for me too. But because I always open links in new tabs I almost never actually use the back button.

But, as far as i can tell it isn't actually the back button.. what happens is that when I click on a link to an RPS article I actually get that page twice in my back history. (it doesn't seem to be reloading the page twice, but it might be if it's very fast). So the back button isn't exactly broken... it's just that "back" one step in the queue is actually the same page.

I'm on an old version of firefox btw... but it's a company system so i can't update it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    It's a quick redirect. Just tap the back button twice.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Obscure Node
    when I tap the backbutton twice, i ended up with some 30 or so reloads of the page in the back history. filled the back history dropdown TWICE.