Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub

Why do console ports have always-on VoIP?

A lot of console ports of multiplayer games seem to have an always-on VoIP in multiplayer games and there's no way to turn it off. I'm wondering why is that? Do console games not have a push-to-talk functionality at all? How do they endure this...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Consoles have a 'when you make sound it transmits' functionality, I believe (either that or a heavy noise gate).

So, the answer's laziness.

Console players of online multiplayer games deserve all they get.

I don't know. Port any console game to the PC and we start complaining that there isn't enough options to twiddle with, do the same in reverse and you'd better remove everything except "press start to start".

Banned
    Push-to-talk would take away a precious button on the gamepad.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    This. This is why in a lot of shooters we get a combined "Use" and "Pick up" key. So instead of disarming the enemy bomb, you just constantly swap guns back and forth with the corpse at your feet until you are killed.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    What if you fart for fuck sake :D haha

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Get your head out of your ass and it'll be fine.

*cough*

erh

*crickets*

um

Sorry.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Consoles have a 'when you make sound it transmits' functionality, I believe (either that or a heavy noise gate).
    So do all PC VoIP programs.

I think a better question is, "why do consoles have VoIP at all?"

MOOOOOM, GET ME MORE CHEESY POOFS

NO I CAN'T GO TO DINNER I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAAAAAME

yeah my mom's being a bitch cunt, now let's rape these fags
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    Wow... weird. I don't play much console games, only rare gems like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls on my Blue-Ray player. Thankfully those games doesn't have any VoIP or I'd go mad...

Quote Originally Posted by guitarxe View Post
    Wow... weird. I don't play much console games, only rare gems like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls on my Blue-Ray player. Thankfully those games doesn't have any VoIP or I'd go mad...
    Just stay away from shooters on your console and you'll be good. Shooters are what attract all the prepubescent "I can spew racial epitaphs so I must be cool" kids because they're fast and loud.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    Just stay away from shooters on your console and you'll be good. Shooters are what attract all the prepubescent "I can spew racial epitaphs so I must be cool" kids because they're fast and loud.
    Epithets, not epitaphs.

Tho, considering all the killing going on, epitaphs works too.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Just make sure you save one for the latest victim of spell-check mishaps.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Activated Node
    Baffles me too. One round of playtesting 1 multiplayer map will show you what a huge problem this can be. Apparantly, they don't bother even though they go through a lot of effort to make the multiplayer function on the pc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Curry View Post
    Baffles me too. One round of playtesting 1 multiplayer map will show you what a huge problem this can be. Apparantly, they don't bother even though they go through a lot of effort to make the multiplayer function on the pc.
    You need a nice mic so that you can have your TV on loud while not actively on whim. Always annoying problem when I played MAG on PS3. Had to find the right volume. There was some sensitivity options but they did not seem to do as much as I would hope.

Dawn of War 2 has built in VoIP that is active by default. And this isn't even a console port. Most annoying thing ever. It was a pain to get it to turn off.

NS2 can be finicky with certain sound setups. I had sound mix on and it did not like that. It has no option to pick output/input source.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    iron brigade had always on voip that was always on even when i didn't /have my mic plugged in/. it played back my speaker audio with a lovely echo on it for my co-op partners until i dug through the gfwl options to turn it off.

Network Hub
    Question - GWFL being a bastardised version of Xbox live for PC or something... are there any rules or guidelines in it saying that games have to have VoIP on by default or something of that sort...?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Not even Xbox Live has a rule like that.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    This is the exact reason why.
    There aren't nearly enough buttons for gameplay (context sensitive actions galore on consoles because of this), let alone for things like a push to talk key.

Don't look for another reason, it's this simple.

They really need to add more buttons to future console controllers (plenty of room on the back for a few, kinda like the trigger on the n64 controller, but without giving you RSI) , would be step one to take gameplay out of the gutter on them.
    Last edited by Finicky; 17-11-2012 at 04:38 AM.

Banned
    Nothing wrong with context sensitive actions.

You played Metro 2033? Tap flashlight button to turn flashlight on and off. Hold it for half a second to pull out the battery charger, and use attack button to charge, then hold the flashlight button again to put it back away.

It probably was only done because of limited number of keys on the pad, but it worked very well and was a very elegant and intuitive solution.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I've encountered so many bad pc gamers online, I have no reason to believe that console gamers are fundamentally any worse.

Also, the official console microphones have a little switch where it plugs into the controller to talk.