Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar

Splinter Cell:Double Agent SHADOWS NO MORE!

Did anyone managed to fix those god damn shadows in Double Agent,i can't play because of this problem,there is no feeling where can i hide or not,its totally killing the game.

I tried all these fixes and nothing,my game is also patched up to 1.2

http://www.withinwindows.com/2011/07...layable-on-pc/

So, setting these values to 0 is ideal. But if you make these changes and reload the game – nothing happens. Huh? This is where everyone gave up. Hell, even I almost gave up. But as a joke to myself, I threw the game into the debugger and noticed some values drove whether or not the shadow degree settings were used. SimpleShader and SimpleEffect.By default, these values are set to True. Setting the game’s graphics configuration to “next generation” keeps these values at True. You want these values to read False. Setting these values to False tells the game, hey, let’s go ahead and show some advanced stuff on the screen.
    Magic. You have lights and shadows now.

For comparasion see this pic i took and the one from xbox360 version.

and

Last edited by DaftPunk; 16-11-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I believe the IGN pick to be doctored, but yeah that's a huge difference still.

I'm not familiar with the workings of that game (is it a licensed engine) but perhaps the problem is as simple as setting the ini file to read-only.

Nothing helped men,i just uninstalled the game..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Nothing helped men,i just uninstalled the game..
    Called it.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Spent one full hour tweaking the god damn ini files,at the end no results. Its a shame because its a last SC game which was actually good. But playing it without shadows is like playing PES without ball :|

Its a shame because its a last SC game which was actually good.

Bite me :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Remembered I had the game installed on my drive since I bought it in '07.
    Tried the fix mentioned in the page you linked but no go. Ended up jacking up brightness and contrast to full, while using SweetFX (luma sharpen and vibrance enabled). Results are not that bad:

Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

of course, you can always finish the game and replay it with the ridiculous full colour night vision :)

EDIT: Some before and after shots

Last edited by mashakos; 18-11-2012 at 09:32 PM.
    Steam profile

Network Hub
    would love to see the apologist coming to this thread to defend the port saying its good...

Quote Originally Posted by dnf View Post
    would love to see the apologist coming to this thread to defend the port saying its good...
    are you referring to me? I don't just automatically say any crappy multi-platform title is a great PC port! wtf?
    This was definitely a bad port. Just look at the console (dirty, dirty consoles!) version of this game, so much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhGZk3UJybM
    Steam profile

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    are you referring to me? I don't just automatically say any crappy multi-platform title is a great PC port! wtf?
    This was definitely a bad port. Just look at the console (dirty, dirty consoles!) version of this game, so much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhGZk3UJybM
    its mostly the Dark Souls is a good port apologists...

Network Hub
    For the Pc gamers the only way is to emulate the Ps2 version lolz

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Weren't all current gen versions of this game terrible? I seem to recall that, weirdly, it was the version of the game that was developed for the previous gen (and Wii) that were actually better then those for the 360, PS3 and PC. Might be misremembering though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    Weren't all current gen versions of this game terrible? I seem to recall that, weirdly, it was the version of the game that was developed for the previous gen (and Wii) that were actually better then those for the 360, PS3 and PC. Might be misremembering though.
    You are quite right, the wii version has a few major bugs though(saves corrupt and occasional crashes) and motion controls which are meh.

Playstation 2 emulation is looking tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    I remember people loving it on the PS3 and xbox360. It's easy to get nostalgic about the older titles but at the time people wanted to see the gameplay evolve from the original Chaos Theory.
    The only Splinter Cell I played to it's conclusion was CS so I have no idea if this one is bad or not.
    Steam profile

Network Hub
    I remember people loving it on the PS3 and xbox360.
    The ps2 and xbox version was made by the studio behind chaos theory and had different story, engine, level design, etc than the ps3 and xbox360 (and pc, sadly). The first plays more like chaos theory (with noise bar, etc) while the one we got...

edit:
    It's easy to get nostalgic about the older titles but at the time people wanted to see the gameplay evolve from the original Chaos Theory.
    The only Splinter Cell I played to it's conclusion was CS so I have no idea if this one is bad or not.
    The original and Pandora Tommorow were great albeit quite linear. The gameplay of chaos theory was apparently the high point of the series, the second version of double agent and of course conviction are not what I would call evolution.
    Last edited by Prokroustis; 19-11-2012 at 02:17 PM.

I tried to emulate ps2 version and in menu there were no slowdowns,but when the gameplay started..i had about 5 fps :| I guess i'll leave that for better rig.

I tried to emulate ps2 version and in menu there were no slowdowns,but when the gameplay started..i had about 5 fps :| I guess i'll leave that for better rig.
    just get a nice dual core, a nice motherboard and overclock to 4GHz+. I actually found people selling e8400 + asus Maximus Formula for about $135 locally. That is a much better solution than buying a full core i5/i7 upgrade.
    Steam profile