Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub

So, apparently Epic Mickey 2 sucks

Saw some reviews already and they're all pretty dismal. Is Warren Spector the new Peter Molyneux? Former great designer that now promises too much and delivers too little?

I'd be hesitant to conclude a game sucks based on a few bad reviews. That said - can you link the ones you're referring to? Only one I've seen so far is Game Informer, which isn't exactly a reputable publication.

Network Hub
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-...critic-reviews

Also gamespot gave it 5/10 and Destructoid gave it 2/10

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    i've always failed to see the interest in this game. but i also am real hate disney so, who knows?

What a waste of Warren Spector. Would love to have seen his face when he realised he was being paid in Disney Dollars.

Really I lost all hope when I saw the Fantasia demo where nothing moved in time to the music.
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I think the fact that it's called "Epic" and "Mickey" is all I need to know that it's not a classic Warren Spector game. And somehow that's led me to the assumption that it will suck... and yeah, that's pretty baseless... but hey

Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    Would love to have seen his face when he realised he was being paid in Disney Dollars.
    He was probably excited since it's surely valued higher than US currency.

That's a shame. I was hoping for some Trine 2-esque coop-fun. :/

I give Warren the benefit of the doubt and say he probably is sincere in how much he loves Disney. But having played the first game it just drives home how comparatively crap "classic" Disney actually is. Warner Bros, Tex Avery, Hanna Barbera et al just make Mickey and co seem so lame and charmless.

It's weird that since they stopped making shorts Mickey now only exists as corporate mascot. I have to wonder what children now a days actually recognise him from.
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    I have to wonder what children now a days actually recognise him from.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    He was probably excited since it's surely valued higher than US currency.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just think, he could be working on a Star Wars in the future!

Which is hard to say if thats good or bad. Assuming he has a job still. I'm sure Disney doesn't need big profits from the game, but its more to keep the brand of Disney exposed in the minds of children.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Most great game designers have only produced excellent games within a fairly narrow range. With Spector, they're really all immersive sims, or at least games with aspirations in that direction.

It's really hard to think of someone who's served as the primary designer of more than two or three very different and very good games.

I'd say "stick with what you love", but the truth is also that most creatives tend to decline after a while. Musicians, film directors, almost everyone either starts producing crap or stops entirely.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    It's really hard to think of someone who's served as the primary designer of more than two or three very different and very good games.
    Shigeru Miyamoto stands out, but I'm not sure he counts BECAUSE CONSOLES but I consider Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri/Civilisation/Colonisation(batched for similarity), Sid Meier's Pirates! and Sid Meier's Railroads! to be rather different.
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    I'd say "stick with what you love", but the truth is also that most creatives tend to decline after a while. Musicians, film directors, almost everyone either starts producing crap or stops entirely.
    Many dont go crap, so much as they repeat themselves.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    From the IGN review, the game design sounds lovely but the co-op AI and camera are crap/broken. Can't blame Warren for that, surely?

I get the feeling that it suffers from botched controls, I thought the original had pretty good art design and an interesting premise. In all honestly I'm kinda surprised this got a sequel though.

This is the one that's supposed to be a musical, right? I'm curious about that, actually. Anyone know how much of a musical it is?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ZIGS View Post
    Former great designer that now promises too much and delivers too little?
    Warren Spector was never a great designer. His claims to fame are Deus Ex and System Shock, but he was an Executive Producer in both, which means his job was to keep the coffee flowing and watch the deadlines. Executive Producers have little to do with the actual creative process.

When he became the Studio Director for Ion Storm, he brought us Invisible War and Deadly Shadows. Need I say more?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I hate disney, because helped extend copyright laws to make them so abusive the popular music you used to love wen you was young will never go public domain in your life, so it will make it more rare for you to heard them again. Disney basically made the world worse.

The day disney close, I will celebrate it.

Banned
    They made the world worse by making music you loved as a kid?