Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar

Neo New York CHAOS DUNK advisory warning: the Hoopz Barkley Sage continues!

Sequel to Barkley, Shut up and Jam: Gaiden to be Kickstarted

We'll finally find out what happened to Hoopz.

This will be funded. It is a winner. RPS should just list it as a winner!

Threads with typos in the title seem to garner more interest
    Last edited by icupnimpn2; 13-11-2012 at 09:46 AM.

I have no idea what this is about, but judging from the title, name of OP, and the first thing in the post being a link, I was this close to click the report button... Guess my spambot-nerves are a little too tight these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    I have no idea what this is about, but judging from the title, name of OP, and the first thing in the post being a link, I was this close to click the report button... Guess my spambot-nerves are a little too tight these days.
    Yes, I am a spammer with 680 (now 681) posts. Buy fashion shoes!

Here's the trailer for the original, cult classic hit, free game. Go to Youtube for some of the most entertaining Let's Plays you'll ever watch.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Man, the first game was one of the best rpgs to have come out in 2008. Everyone needs to play it, and then promptly donate their their savings to the sequel's (and Sui Generis') kickstarter.
    Last edited by Shane; 13-11-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I remember Barkley: Shut Up and Jam, but wha....?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm betting it'll be DX11 exclusive.

On a more serious note, they are using the likeness of several NBA players and now getting money for it. It's obviously parody, but I still think it puts them in murky legal waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I'm betting it'll be DX11 exclusive.

On a more serious note, they are using the likeness of several NBA players and now getting money for it. It's obviously parody, but I still think it puts them in murky legal waters.
    That's my concern, too. But if you remember the ending of the first one, Charles Barkley may not be IN this one at all. The last game saw (SPOILER) Hoopz head off into space. The game is not called Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden 2, so they don't have trouble there. Since the promo text identifies an amnesiac baller, it's possible for a thinly veiled Charles to be in the game. Hoopz, meanwhile, should not pose any legal violation as the theoretical son of Barkley in the future.

So it is possible to pull this off without a lawsuit.

Yay RPS does not disappoint. This announcement made the front page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    If it doesn't have Saturn level gfx and Full Motion Video, I'm out. Seriously, when will these indie game devs move ahead one generation?
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    If it doesn't have Saturn level gfx and Full Motion Video, I'm out. Seriously, when will these indie game devs move ahead one generation?
    when they stop being indies and be a real man.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    There's plenty of stuff with current gen graphics and tech. It's actually nice that there exist games which aren't. Everything doesn't have to look the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    There's plenty of stuff with current gen graphics and tech. It's actually nice that there exist games which aren't. Everything doesn't have to look the same.
    i meant: move from 16-bit to 32-bit aesthetics.
    Steam profile

Honestly, the "art style" of this game is the least of my concerns. The first game was cobbled together from RPG-maker tiles and cribbed graphics from basketball games, with some original stuff hammered on. And it still managed to be deeply entertaining. Not profound, not magical, not majestic, but entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    Honestly, the "art style" of this game is the least of my concerns. The first game was cobbled together from RPG-maker tiles and cribbed graphics from basketball games, with some original stuff hammered on. And it still managed to be deeply entertaining. Not profound, not magical, not majestic, but entertaining.
    since I have a gigantic backlog which includes ridiculously great titles like Psychonauts, BG&E, Penumbra, not to mention the last two mass effects and a ton of console games in my emu iso folder... yeah, can't be bothered with the gaming equivalent of a mildly funny web series. Haven't reached that point yet.
    still, wouldn't hurt if they step it up a bit now that they will have a kickstarter and all.
    Steam profile

Network Hub
    You're complaining about graphics. Graphics, a thing which do not need to be high definition, and are sometimes served best by not being so.

I think it being low resolution only adds to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
    You're complaining about graphics. Graphics, a thing which do not need to be high definition, and are sometimes served best by not being so.

I think it being low resolution only adds to it.
    Complaining more about the dated FF V rpg gameplay mechanics which all indie outfits use as the go-to style for most indie rpgs. This 16x16 pixel sprite turn-based grid engine is a holdover from the NES era and was used liberally on SNES and megardive titles because it was difficult to portray large open worlds or intricate dungeons using 16-bit gameplay styles at the time. The one exception being Beyond Oasis which came out at the very end of the megadrive's life cycle. TBH I only tolerated these rudimentary rpgs because I knew better things were around the corner with the Saturn and Playstation. Like Brave Fencer Musashi or Gaurdian Heroes.
    Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    Complaining more about the dated FF V rpg gameplay mechanics which all indie outfits use as the go-to style for most indie rpgs. This 16x16 pixel sprite turn-based grid engine is a holdover from the NES era and was used liberally on SNES and megardive titles because it was difficult to portray large open worlds or intricate dungeons using 16-bit gameplay styles at the time. The one exception being Beyond Oasis which came out at the very end of the megadrive's life cycle. TBH I only tolerated these rudimentary rpgs because I knew better things were around the corner with the Saturn and Playstation. Like Brave Fencer Musashi or Gaurdian Heroes.
    You're right, this game really isn't for you.