Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Race?

Which Race?

It seems to be quite opaque, but are the different races good at different things?

Tomorrow I am rolling a new character [8am my time, if anyone wants to come along. I took the morning as holiday from work for Virgin to come and install my broadband, making the most of it]

Anyway. I want to make a Ranger/Necromancer [haven't decided quite yet] - which races would help with that? I want to avoid the Norn as I have done that already, open to any other possibilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    From the start ArenaNet decided against differentiating the races in a strong way, to keep PvP balanced and to avoid every min-maxer rolling one race and one race only.

All races use the same hitbox and weapon reach, despite their visual size differences.

Each race has a few of their own racial skills to learn, however these skills are by design weaker than profession skills and not usable in PvP, to avoid everyone jumping on a particular race for an advantage.

There are still some perceived advantages and disadvantages to each race. Many folks feel playing as a charr or norn make jumping puzzles more difficult, while other feel their epic gear looks decidedly less so on a little asura.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    From the start ArenaNet decided against differentiating the races in a strong way, to keep PvP balanced and to avoid every min-maxer rolling one race and one race only.

All races use the same hitbox and weapon reach, despite their visual size differences.

Each race has a few of their own racial skills to learn, however these skills are by design weaker than profession skills and not usable in PvP, to avoid everyone jumping on a particular race for an advantage.

There are still some perceived advantages and disadvantages to each race. Many folks feel playing as a charr or norn make jumping puzzles more difficult, while other feel their epic gear looks decidedly less so on a little asura.
    What he said... I played an asura: loved the animations, hate the look of armors, Played a norn... felt like playing a turtle and puzzles were atrocious.

In the end I am playing a boring human.

Oh and if you're going ranger, then race affects which starting pet you have - although you can collect them all eventually anyway.

I'm a little gutted I can't tame my own pet like in WoW - but I'll suck it up. May go Charr/Human - Can't face being a little tiny Asura.

I've loved being a norn, but tbh they feel like a vanilla human to me. I didn't realise they were much bigger [although in my chainmail I tower over my girlfriends norn engineer.]
    You, sir, are awesome.

Not sure how it works in WoW (never played that), but there are quite a lot of pets to tame, some of which can only be found in certain regions. I play a Norn Warrior and must say that I like the Norn female appearance much more than the Barbie Human one.

If I had not picked a Norn Warrior, I would have gone with Charr. They just look awesome in heavy armor. But I also like my Ranger, Mr. Charrsy (yes, I somehow managed to screw up on the name with an "s" where a "c" should have been) with his pets, "Pride" and "Prejudice".

Yeah, I already have a norn warrior and I want a new experience. Seems like Charr or Human would fit the bill.
    You, sir, are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by DWZippy View Post
    Yeah, I already have a norn warrior and I want a new experience. Seems like Charr or Human would fit the bill.
    In that case, Charr is the obvious choice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    But I also like my Ranger, Mr. Charrsy (yes, I somehow managed to screw up on the name with an "s" where a "c" should have been) with his pets, "Pride" and "Prejudice".
    Love this

The race choice in GW2 is quite difficult because several of them are interesting! Not just the standard dwarf/human/elf choice. I've leveled a Sylvari, because I found them to be interestingly unique and I liked the customisations. I also like Asura a lot, but I would also like to level a Charr and a Norn -- all are interesting in their own right. Except humans, which I find boringly generic... but sadly I am not a veteran of GW1 so I don't have an affinity with the humans from that.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Personally, I choose race by what it believes in and how it acts. That's why I so dislike cocky asura, even though their loyalty to their krew is interesing and like charr loyalty to warbands in my opinion is quite nice positive side of those races. Since I dislike cats charr fall off quite a lot. That mix of feline and canine properties does not appeal for me.

Humans are interesting, they seem to be offering that human optimism and resilience against desperation being on losing side. But that losing side doesn't really feel like it and that stupid laughing in Divinities Reach just pisses me off (reminds me how ignorant people usually are).
    Norn are practically human loners, who are quite self centred but also they feel sincere from the heart and not oppressive dicks that they could be.
    Sylvari for me are most interesting due to their naive goodness and curiosity. And Ventari tablet is quite interesting state of their philosophy.
    Personally I can practicly have norn and sylvari for myself as playable races, but 3 of one race would bore me of that race.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Network Hub
    You can also give Asura a try. You'll probably love these intelligent humanoids race. Just never mind their looks...

Activated Node
    In terms of racial skills Asura and Charr have the best ones, but there's not that much in it and you can't use them in pvp, so it's all about which starting area you feel like playing in the most. I'm planning to make a mesmer and I'm between norn and asura myself, love the animations and humour of the asura but I kinda like the Norn starting area the most - plus I think it'd be funny to make an absolutely massive Norn and spawn craploads of clones of myself, and as a bonus it'd probably be pretty disorienting and intimidating in pvp!

Oh apparently there's a bug that makes Guardian protection bubbles smaller if you're an asura, but since you're starting a ranger that doesn't affect you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by manveruppd View Post
    Oh apparently there's a bug that makes Guardian protection bubbles smaller if you're an asura, but since you're starting a ranger that doesn't affect you.
    That was fixed ages ago.

In terms of racial skills Asura and Charr have the best ones, but there's not that much in it and you can't use them in pvp, so it's all about which starting area you feel like playing in the most.
    But you can use them in WvWvW. That's good enough for me.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DWZippy View Post
    I want to make a Ranger/Necromancer [haven't decided quite yet]
    I'm planning to make a mesmer and I'm between norn and asura myself
    I tend to just go on the aesthetics of it and lore considerations. The racial abilities are fun to play around with in PvE but I don't think they have too much impact otherwise and there's always equivalently useful class ones. That said I've yet to get to level 80 so things may change there.

I do like the model proportions for the Norn, but it can look very odd in the fancy frilly/opera clothing of the female elementalist/mesmer class. It tends to look good on the leather/metal armour types though.

Asura necromancers look great, especially with some of the more menacing Asura face options and the paler skin colours. I've got one that I'm really happy with the aesthetics off (though I've not invested any time in playing it yet).

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.
    There's a racial elite I really liked from the Humans.

This transformation used to give 20 seconds of stability even if you cancel the transformed state immediately. This made the character immune to the knockdown and stuns etc.

Even when A.net fixed this oversight, I still love it when I ran the Fractal Swamp & Cliffside where people cursed and swore at the environmental hazards from the air-blowing vents and ground tripwires ... I just turn into a tree and walked like a boss while the Norn faceplants into the mud.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    All races use the same hitbox
    You sure? My Asura can run under things my Charr can't.
    Humans are the most prolific by a massive amount, and thus are generally the most boring. (also because they're basically elves)

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
    You sure? My Asura can run under things my Charr can't.
    Yes, it's been confirmed several times by the devs. It's a central part of their balance philosophy.

Having said that, I suppose it may be the case that there are different hitboxes for combat collision than there are for terrain collision? Where did you find you could do this? I wouldn't mind testing it for myself.

Nah I can testify that terrain collision hitboxes are different. You'll learn this very quickly if you do the Arena part of the Eternal Battlegrounds JP with different characters.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Cool, I'll have to go try that JP with other characters sometime.