Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar

What in the what? THQ Humble bundle? *head a-splodes*

So I was checking the Steam CDR, because supposedly Sonic Adventure 2 was coming out today for PC but it's not showing up and I'm about to have a seizure and kill someone, and I find this...

http://cdr.thebronasium.com/sub/18207

What the f...

If this really is part of a new humble, either they've really stretched the meaning of the word "humble", or Wolfire scrounged up enough money to buy THQ's remnants.

If this is just THQ's way of using "funny" wording to raise awareness, I hope a truck runs them over.

Just... christ.

Edit: as a plus, there's also an entry for a "Metro 2033 December Giveaway"; a hint of things to come during the winter sale? http://cdr.thebronasium.com/sub/18029
    Last edited by Rauten; 19-11-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I don't get it,all their games are listed in the bundle or is it something else i didn't catch.

The "it" is that the humble indie bundle, keyword INDIE is supposed to be for, once again, INDIE games. They've already been stretching the meaning of it a few times in the past, with things like Psychonauts, but a THQ bundle is just taking the piss over the term.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Maybe, longshot here, but maybe it has something to do with Thanksgiving that coming up?

Perhaps the bundles on sale this year will have names associated with them beyond the publisher?

Humble THQ, Pilgrim Square Enix, Bounty Ubisoft.

Edit: Seriously, the word "humble" is not owned by the guys at Humble Indie bundle.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    "We are THQ, humbly asking for your money so that we don't die"?
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Edit: Seriously, the word "humble" is not owned by the guys at Humble Indie bundle.
    True, but considering the CDR entry is specifically named "Humble Bundle Core" it's really hard to think anything else other than it's the PWYW portion of the next HIB.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    The "it" is that the humble indie bundle, keyword INDIE is supposed to be for, once again, INDIE games. They've already been stretching the meaning of it a few times in the past, with things like Psychonauts, but a THQ bundle is just taking the piss over the term.
    Well, the site is humble bundle. Not necessarily indie bundle.
    I don't have much problem with publishers putting games on a pwyw scheme.

If it's pay what you want and some of the money goes to charity, I don't really see the problem.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Maybe, longshot here, but maybe it has something to do with Thanksgiving that coming up?

Perhaps the bundles on sale this year will have names associated with them beyond the publisher?

Humble THQ, Pilgrim Square Enix, Bounty Ubisoft.

I think the point is this bundle will probably be sold via the Humble Bundle guys, who up to now have done exclusively indie bundle pay-what-you-want deals.

The way I see it:

1) a Humble THQ Indie Bundle could be a thing, I'm pretty sure THQ aren't owned by anyone and are therefore technically independent... Just a publisher, not a developer. A Humble Volition Indie Bundle would be a problem because Volition's games are funded by THQ.

2) If the bundle really is PWYW and features recent Red Faction and Saints Row (as well as other THQ titles, I just can't think of any right now) games, that's pretty decent value for people who were waiting for a good deal.

3) Despite 1), the word 'indie' hasn't even been mentioned, so let's all just calm down.

THQ are responsible for a few pretty good games which have been enjoyed by many people and I don't want to see them die. I do want to see them get some better management who don't want to make TV shows out of all their halfway decent IPs, however, but of all the publishers out there they're one of the ones who least deserve to die. I can forgive their ridiculous DLC practices in light of the fact that they're pretty desperate, and I also hope this bundle sale brings in some decent cash. After all, which would you prefer as a THQ fundraiser: A pay-what-you-want bundle, a kickstarter or THQ alpha funded releases?

Network Hub
    Gotta give THQ credit. Even if they go down, they will go down fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Well, the site is humble bundle. Not necessarily indie bundle.
    I don't have much problem with publishers putting games on a pwyw scheme.
    The main bundles have indeed been called humble indie bundle, but the themed bundles (for Android, developer specific, etc...) have not. I guess they could get away with a themed THQ bundle, but it wouldn't go down well with the people who believe in 'the spirit' of HIB's.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Can I just say that not one person reading this has the first clue what 'indie' actually means - everyone has their own take on it and we can't ALL be right so...

End of the day the only consistent thing it means is "not Call of Duty or FIFA or Halo"... ;)

Well, if this happens, it'll make me happy, what else can I ask, than a copy of every THQ game on my library and DRM free on my hard drive? Not much, I say.
    But it's fairly suspicious, of course.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    ACTIVISION'S HUMBLE CALL OF DUTY BUNDLE

PayWhatYouWant 500 minimum.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Can I just say that not one person reading this has the first clue what 'indie' actually means - everyone has their own take on it and we can't ALL be right so...

End of the day the only consistent thing it means is "not Call of Duty or FIFA or Halo"... ;)
    I'm almost certain everyone here knows what indie means.

And just like the record companies of old who used to put music on discs, indie bands, turn into indie labels, which gets bigger and bigger, until indie means more than it's grass roots.

But we still all know what it means.

Well to be fair the average indie developer probably has more money than THQ at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by lasikbear View Post
    Well to be fair the average indie developer probably has more money than THQ at this point.
    I probably have more money in my wallet than THQ at this point!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I probably have more money in my wallet than THQ at this point!
    I think that's true of anybody, unless their wallets hold miniature black holes.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    Even if it came out as THQ Indie Bundle (which it won't), I'd still tell everyone to buy it. The term indie doesn't matter much to me, other than its a game made on a low budget and 1 out of every 100 is better than AAAs made on 10x the budget. Either way, I'd still tell everyone to buy the bundle, preferably for a decent amount going to THQ and the charity when it does arrive, those are some very nice games in there and well done to THQ for taking initiative in trying to save their company.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    It may not identify itself as an Indi Bundle, but it does smell of a marketing strategy to capitalise on the the 'Humble' name established by Indi studios. They'd be better off collecting on the goodwill of their own fans instead.

*Throws a handful of pennies at THQ* Treat yourself.