Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 261
  1. #21
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    It may not identify itself as an Indi Bundle, but it does smell of a marketing strategy to capitalise on the the 'Humble' name established by Indi studios. They'd be better off collecting on the goodwill of their own fans instead.

    *Throws a handful of pennies at THQ* Treat yourself.
    What part of THQ isn't humble at this point?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  2. #22
    Lesser Hivemind Node Kodeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    What part of THQ isn't humble at this point?
    Their development budgets, for one. Well, that may be a 'used to be' thing. Hell, their next wave of releases may actually look right at home in a humble bundle.

    Saint's Row of block columns.

  3. #23
    Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    It may not identify itself as an Indi Bundle, but it does smell of a marketing strategy to capitalise on the the 'Humble' name established by Indi studios. They'd be better off collecting on the goodwill of their own fans instead.

    *Throws a handful of pennies at THQ* Treat yourself.
    Desperate times call for desperate measures.

    Also, some more Humble Bundle shenanigans:

    http://www.humblebundle.com/double-fine

  4. #24
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    Their development budgets, for one. Well, that may be a 'used to be' thing. Hell, their next wave of releases may actually look right at home in a humble bundle.

    Saint's Row of block columns.
    I immediately conjured up the image of pixellated hooker sprites.

    Which immediately brought Duke Nukem 3D to mind.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  5. #25
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    Also, some more Humble Bundle shenanigans:

    http://www.humblebundle.com/double-fine
    I always knew that guy was no good.

  6. #26
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,890
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    I don't get it,all their games are listed in the bundle or is it something else i didn't catch.
    not all
    App ID Name Origin CDR
    4560 Company of Heroes 9684
    9340 Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts 9684
    20540 Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor 9684
    43110 Metro 2033 9684
    50620 Darksiders 9684
    55110 Red Faction: Armageddon 9684
    The rest of the stuff is just language packs and content packs.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  7. #27
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,184
    Mh. The Humble Bundle people have always been very "strict" on the cross-plattform part. They even have own Linux developers to help with porting games for the bundle. It would be kinda strange if they now have a bundle with a AAA (well, maybe AA to A currently) publisher and then not even going the cross platform route. All that would be left from their slogan is pay-what-you-want. Okay, maybe charity is in for sure, because giving money to THQ already is ;)

    Surely it would still be a great bundle but I wonder what THQ would need the Humble team for if it's not cross-platform. THQ has their own shop, advertising would be assured and setting up a pay-what-you-want website cant be that hard for them...

  8. #28
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    The main bundles have indeed been called humble indie bundle, but the themed bundles (for Android, developer specific, etc...) have not. I guess they could get away with a themed THQ bundle, but it wouldn't go down well with the people who believe in 'the spirit' of HIB's.

    Attachment 2174
    Just like everyone freaked out at the Introversion Bundle?

    And besides, what really qualifies as "indie" these days? The line has been blurred QUITE a bit. Is indie anyone who isn't affiliated with a major publisher? If so, CD Projekt counts (CDP is a distributor mostly) and so does Valve. Is it just someone who doesn't USE a publisher to distribute their games? If so, LOTS of devs who are PC exclusive count and people like Double Fine don't.

    An author I really like summed it up best as far as books go (and look at that ebook bundle :p): The difference between self-publishing (indie) and traditional publishing, at least in the digital domain, is the number of professional eyes that have looked it over and given feedback. A traditionally published book will have a team of editors and a lot of professional feedback. A self-published book has the author and (maybe) a few friends.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  9. #29
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    An author I really like summed it up best as far as books go (and look at that ebook bundle :p): The difference between self-publishing (indie) and traditional publishing, at least in the digital domain, is the number of professional eyes that have looked it over and given feedback. A traditionally published book will have a team of editors and a lot of professional feedback. A self-published book has the author and (maybe) a few friends.
    More or less this. It's not "not distributed by a publisher," so much as it's "not made with a contract with a publisher," implying funding and editorial oversight.

    No oversight means, of course, that they escape the "CoD/WoW is doing well, make this more like CoD/WoW" requirement, but they also escape the "we require at least three months of playtesting" requirement, too.
    Last edited by Nalano; 19-11-2012 at 09:45 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  10. #30
    Lesser Hivemind Node RobF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    880
    I'd buy it.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

  11. #31
    Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Estados Unidos
    Posts
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    "We are THQ, humbly asking for your money so that we don't die"?
    Indeed. It seems to me that this bundle is about as humble as a bundle can be.

  12. #32
    Lesser Hivemind Node Gorzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    not all
    Ohhhh, so no DoW2? man, I wanted that without GfWL

  13. #33
    Lesser Hivemind Node RobF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post

    Surely it would still be a great bundle but I wonder what THQ would need the Humble team for if it's not cross-platform. THQ has their own shop, advertising would be assured and setting up a pay-what-you-want website cant be that hard for them...
    Their own shop is a bog standard Digital River job if I recall. I don't think they've got the infrastructure to pull that sort of thing off nor the inclination either.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

  14. #34
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,381
    FAO Rauten - SA2 is out on Steam now :)

  15. #35
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I'm almost certain everyone here knows what indie means.

    And just like the record companies of old who used to put music on discs, indie bands, turn into indie labels, which gets bigger and bigger, until indie means more than it's grass roots.

    But we still all know what it means.
    I don't think you do - I really don't.

    "Indie" has been perverted in gaming as much as it has in music - EA do 'Indie' stuff - people release software through Steam, the biggest DD service there is run by a major developer/publisher, are they still 'indie'?

    Is Cliffski over at Positech 'indie' I don't think he knows/is sure about that tbh

    Even if you stick to 'not published by a major publisher' there's a massive range of games from one-man-band stuff upto studios of dozens of people publishing 'indie'.

    It's as meaningless and definitionless with games as anywhere else now...

  16. #36
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    That hellhole known as "Spain"
    Posts
    1,807
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    FAO Rauten - SA2 is out on Steam now :)
    I know. I kept looking at the CDR every few seconds, and bought it even before it showed on the frontpage =P
    Thanks anyway.

  17. #37
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Unaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,912
    Do we know if that's going to be the Official name for it? Could just be an internal name, that Valve have given it, and it's going to be a PWYW THQ Bundle in the Thanksgiving sales, but not called a Humble Bundle to customers and not associated with the Humble Bundle people themselves - Valve have just called it that because the Humble people popularised the PWYW model or whatever.

    I can definitely imagine there'll be some THQ bundles in the sales, what with their current financial straits, and they've had a couple bundles on Amazon downloads recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

  18. #38
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,324
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I don't think you do - I really don't.

    "Indie" has been perverted in gaming as much as it has in music - EA do 'Indie' stuff - people release software through Steam, the biggest DD service there is run by a major developer/publisher, are they still 'indie'?

    Is Cliffski over at Positech 'indie' I don't think he knows/is sure about that tbh

    Even if you stick to 'not published by a major publisher' there's a massive range of games from one-man-band stuff upto studios of dozens of people publishing 'indie'.

    It's as meaningless and definitionless with games as anywhere else now...

    What are you even trying to say? Are you the indie police or something? Do I need to pull up a dictionary or something?

    You've basically just said in your second sentence what I was saying in my post that we all know what indie meant (independent of backing from a company) and what it means now(a lot of things, but primarily something that is produced without a "production" company).

  19. #39
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    That hellhole known as "Spain"
    Posts
    1,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    Do we know if that's going to be the Official name for it? Could just be an internal name, that Valve have given it, and it's going to be a PWYW THQ Bundle in the Thanksgiving sales, but not called a Humble Bundle to customers and not associated with the Humble Bundle people themselves - Valve have just called it that because the Humble people popularised the PWYW model or whatever.

    I can definitely imagine there'll be some THQ bundles in the sales, what with their current financial straits, and they've had a couple bundles on Amazon downloads recently.
    It could very well be, but once again, why give it that name? Valve knows very well that the CDR website is there, and a lot of people check it almost daily, and it's gonna be seen, and people are gonna notice the name, and are going to jump to conclusions (like I did).

  20. #40
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    The "it" is that the humble indie bundle, keyword INDIE is supposed to be for, once again, INDIE games.
    Except when they do books and music and stuff.

    Seriously, if this is real, and actually from the Humble guys and not just THQ stealing a name, what's not to like?

    • THQ raise some much needed funds and maybe don't fold before they get their next lot of games out.
    • Some charities raise a fuck-ton of money.
    • Customers get some awesome games for very little money.


    And the problem is what exactly?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •