Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 261
  1. #81
    Lesser Hivemind Node RobF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    They're 'indie'. They likely all have more money than THQ has right now too.
    I've got 5$ someone sent me earlier. I think I've got more money than THQ have right now.

    Anyway, understandable reactions really because keeping the big publisher wolves at bay is always smart, it's not about snobbery or indie cred it's about being able to maintain something sustainable without big money coming in and crushing it. Except, it's THQ and see above.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

  2. #82
    Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Estados Unidos
    Posts
    656
    Games games games games games games games. If HB jumped the shark, I was riding in the boat that pulled the Fonz.

  3. #83
    Lesser Hivemind Node Scumbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by ZIGS View Post
    This is doing rather well, isn't it? Only a few hours in and it already made almost 1 million
    SRIII plus some bonus games for a Fiver is kinda nice, other people possibly also see its nice. How much was SRIII during the steam sale?

  4. #84
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,649
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Anyway, understandable reactions really because keeping the big publisher wolves at bay is always smart, it's not about snobbery or indie cred it's about being able to maintain something sustainable without big money coming in and crushing it.
    Maybe. But of the 100s of developers THQ makes redundant, some of them are going to start working on indie projects while looking for a new job. I'd expect an indie baby-boom about 9 months after they go bump.

  5. #85
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    SRIII plus some bonus games for a Fiver is kinda nice, other people possibly also see its nice. How much was SRIII during the steam sale?
    $7.5 I think

  6. #86
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,983
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    That's the thing. They need to have these downloads available in a year or two's time. And by then, all the "good samaritans" will have gone on to torrent other stuff. Putting them right back in the "Wow... that's a lot of bandwidth" camp.
    Not as much as having to provide direct downloads.

    Since the OSTs are only available direct as well, I think THQ is not comfortable with the piracy rate torrenting would have brought along.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  7. #87
    Lesser Hivemind Node Scumbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by ZIGS View Post
    $7.5 I think
    Just checked and it was about $10 / 7.50ish.
    Even spending a little over the beating the average is cheaper then when it was on sale. Can imagine that's pissed a few people off.

  8. #88
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    No but really. Are you saying that they care more about their indie cred than they do about "charity"? Or than they do about publishers not going bankrupt? Or than the Humble Bundle people care about their indie cred? Or something else again?
    They don't care about the circumstances surrounding this bundle. They go through mental gymnastics to ignore these previous HB entries:
    - Shank (Electronic Arts)
    - Bastion (Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment)
    - Hammerfight (Kranx Productions)
    - Penumbra series (Paradox Interactive)
    - Vessel (indiepub)
    - Zen Bound 2 (Secret Exit)

    Basically what I meant is that they only care about their indie cred. They have this toxic "us or them" mentality. Blame my foreignness for the poor wording.

    THQ stock is up 38% today!

  9. #89
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Not as much as having to provide direct downloads.

    Since the OSTs are only available direct as well, I think THQ is not comfortable with the piracy rate torrenting would have brought along.
    Actually, it will probably be comparable.

    During the course of the sale, the only people grabbing EVERYTHING are going to be the people who feel the need to archive everything and people who want to act as seeds over the next few weeks. Everyone else will grab one or two games at most, then get the rest later.

    "Later', those seeders will have moved on to other things. And most of the people grabbing stuff will be "leechers" who probably didn't even forward ports. So it will basically be the same state they would be in if they gave direct download links.

    Remember: Torrents aren't magic.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  10. #90
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Steam keys only. The humble guys don't use any bandwidth.
    That wasn't my point, if these games had been delivered DRM free via Humble Bundle as some would have liked it would have cost a large amount in bandwidth. Steam was the only practical choice.

  11. #91
    Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ohio, US
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    SRIII plus some bonus games for a Fiver is kinda nice, other people possibly also see its nice. How much was SRIII during the steam sale?
    I picked up the whole complete package with dlc for 12.49$... I'm still happy with that purchase.

    I would be interested in this bundle how much of it will go to THQ...

  12. #92
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Capital of Scandinavia
    Posts
    1,030
    I've bought it twice. Already own all of the games, but I have friends who are less fortunate.

    Quote Originally Posted by DevinSmoth View Post
    I picked up the whole complete package with dlc for 12.49$... I'm still happy with that purchase.

    I would be interested in this bundle how much of it will go to THQ...
    That's up to the buyers. There are sliders that can be adjusted to suit your preferred split between developer/publisher, charity and Humble tip.

    EDIT: The OST for SR3 was a real bummer though. No licensed tracks, whatsoever.

  13. #93
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,195
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    They don't care about the circumstances surrounding this bundle. They go through mental gymnastics to ignore these previous HB entries:
    - Shank (Electronic Arts)
    - Bastion (Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment)
    - Hammerfight (Kranx Productions)
    - Penumbra series (Paradox Interactive)
    - Vessel (indiepub)
    - Zen Bound 2 (Secret Exit)

    Basically what I meant is that they only care about their indie cred. They have this toxic "us or them" mentality. Blame my foreignness for the poor wording.

    THQ stock is up 38% today!
    No blame =) Except for that horrible gif. O_O
    You make good points now that I know what points you make -- that those guys on twitter, if they were going to get mad, should have done it a while ago. ^_^
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

  14. #94
    Lesser Hivemind Node RobF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    860
    Having met two of those guys, they really don't foster that attitude at all and they're certainly not concerned about "indie cred" whatever the fuck that is. But hey! Let's not let that get in the way of DRAMA.

    Folks just get concerned, y'know?
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

  15. #95
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,153
    Quote Originally Posted by byteCrunch View Post
    That wasn't my point, if these games had been delivered DRM free via Humble Bundle as some would have liked it would have cost a large amount in bandwidth. Steam was the only practical choice.
    Indeed, sorry I didn't made the connection. Now that I think about it it would have cost them a lot of money.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  16. #96
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,983
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Remember: Torrents aren't magic.
    Even if your reasonings were actually correct, OSTs are not so big that you can explain the lack of a torrent option that way.

    If you need any more confirmation that this is a deliberate choice, this is not a first for Humble: Bastion wasn't available as a torrent while all the rest of the bundle was.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  17. #97
    Activated Node Matzerath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    75
    This bundle brings up a whole host of interesting questions. For one, does Steam really benefit from hundreds of thousands of people suddenly owning 4+ huge AAA games downloadable exclusively from their website but bought elsewhere for as low as a dollar? Does the influx of new customers mitigate the huge bandwidth expenditure?

  18. #98
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Even if your reasonings were actually correct, OSTs are not so big that you can explain the lack of a torrent option that way.

    If you need any more confirmation that this is a deliberate choice, this is not a first for Humble: Bastion wasn't available as a torrent while all the rest of the bundle was.
    Please explain what is wrong with my explanation of what a seed is.

    And last I checked, most previous games weren't larger than 2 gigs. Maybe it is thq, but even if they were cool with it, hosting the files when the hb doesn't have to would just be stupid.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  19. #99
    Network Hub SirDavies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by Matzerath View Post
    This bundle brings up a whole host of interesting questions. For one, does Steam really benefit from hundreds of thousands of people suddenly owning 4+ huge AAA games downloadable exclusively from their website but bought elsewhere for as low as a dollar? Does the influx of new customers mitigate the huge bandwidth expenditure?
    You get a game on steam without paying them a dollar, but for that you start using their service, and you will probably buy some other games now that you have it in your computer, and you might ask your friend to get a steam account because those holiday sales sure are impressive, and he will probably buy a few games too... you get my point.

  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Matzerath View Post
    This bundle brings up a whole host of interesting questions. For one, does Steam really benefit from hundreds of thousands of people suddenly owning 4+ huge AAA games downloadable exclusively from their website but bought elsewhere for as low as a dollar? Does the influx of new customers mitigate the huge bandwidth expenditure?
    All of the games have either sequels out recently or soon, or other games in the series, that people will now be more likely to buy, and most likely on Steam, with Valve getting their usual cut.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •