Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar

Building a multi-monitor (eyefinity) PC

Long story short, I already have my new build components in mind, but I was wondering if with a single Nvidia 660Ti I can do this, and how:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Look at the size of those bezels. This is an abomination!
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I thought the very same thing. With bezels that size, and looking at the screens themselves, you'd be better with one really large monitor.

I can't answer your question I'm afraid as I don't know much about triple monitors. It probably would be able to display across all three monitors, but how many of the settings you'd be able to max out, I'm not certain.

If you do go triple monitor though, for the love of god make sure you get the smallest bezels you can. That guys set up looks horrible.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Can't really help you if you want to go this route, but AMD has better support for multiple displays than nvidia. Nvidia maxes out at 3 but the 3rd port in most nvidia cards is only hdmi so you will be limited somewhat in the range of resolutions you can select on the 3rd monitor (at least up to nvidia gtx5xx cards). In any case, you will definitely need the top end card of either brand to max out game settings, otherwise you'll have to settle for gaming at medium to low...

The only surround gaming setup I would settle for would be a seamless display such as the Radius320 - unfortunately it's vapourware ...

Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Long story short, I already have my new build components in mind, but I was wondering if with a single Nvidia 660Ti I can do this, and how:

Those black sides of the monitors totally ruin haha.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    If by 'Can I do this?' you mean 'Is it possible to run three monitors at once off of one 660Ti?', it appears that yes, you can. How? You buy three monitors (bearing in mind they must all run at the same resolution), install the latest drivers, find the Nvidia Surround setting and set it up. Easy. The bezels only look seriously bad if you have the monitors portrait, in landscape mode they're pretty much in your peripheral vision most of the time so you don't really notice them, especially in flight or racing sims where they just look like they could plausibly be part of the cockpit. That does mean, however, that a lot of games don't work because they can't handle the extreme aspect ratio, the UIs generally go crazy.

BUT!

- Bear in mind that a 660Ti isn't the most powerful card out there, my 680 struggles with 3x1680x1050 sometimes so if you're hoping to play, say, Project CARS at 3x1080p you're going to have a bad time. Unless you dial the graphics back a bit.

- Please, for god's sake, don't have the monitors in portrait mode, it looks ridiculous and you'd be better off with one huge screen, unless you're hoping to use three 30 inch monitors?

- Buy all three monitors at the same time from the same place. I have three Samsung 226BWs, two of which are from the same factory in... Somewhere. The third, one I bought very recently for 40 (bloody bargain of the week, that was), was built in Romania and appears to use a different panel because it's much greener than the other two. I've tweaked the colour balance a little but it's still off. Buying three monitors from the same place increases the chance that you'll get three from the same batch, thus increasing the chance they'll all look the same.

- Mount the monitors such that the horizontal centre line is in line with where your eyes will be. This is a real pain in the arse, I had to buy one single and one dual VESA mount (oh yeah, make sure the monitors do have VESA mounts, those new AOC IPS ones don't, for example) and spent about a week tweaking them to get the monitors all straight. This is because if the monitors are higher or lower than your line of sight, the image will look weird and may even make you feel motion sicky.

- Don't bother with it at all unless you already know the games you want to play support triples. Racing sims, flight sims, Arma II; these are all foregone conclusions. Console ports rarely work well. Some look stunning but the UI just shits itself and looks hilarious, I think I have some screenshots on my Steam profile of good examples. A great deal of games can work but need tweaking, the Widescreen Gaming Forum can help there I think. But yeah, if you're building a sim racing or flight rig, just do it. It's excellent, like, breathtakingly so.

- Don't take my word for any of this, I'm just saying some things that come to mind.

Somewhat off topic: Those are Dell Ultrasharps, aren't they? That's quite the bezel. I have a 24" 1920x1200 and love it, so I want to swap my 226BWs for 23" 1080p Ultrasharps, but that bezel... I hadn't thought to check if they're thicker than what I have now. Also there's the small matter of the 450 I'd need.

Edit: Oh yeah, as Mash says: Two DVI, one HDMI, possibly one DisplayPort (the 680 has one, anyway, and for the record can do four monitors but I think you can only game on up to three (or so a video I once watched seemed to indicate)). Fine for 1080p, I can confirm it's also fine with 1680x1050.
    Last edited by neema_t; 22-11-2012 at 08:05 PM.

in order to half the bezel size, slightly angle the outside monitors so that their bezel is behind the central monitor bezel. voila, only 1 visible bezel. playing with them in landscape is also better ive found, as the outer monitors are only really for peripheral vision

having them in portrait kind of makes me think what it would be like to play games in prison (with big black bars infront of your game) whereas with horizontal they sit nicely in your eyes blind spots, so you dont really notice them
    Last edited by bigc90210; 26-02-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    What are you working on Brian?

It's a triptych

What's it called?

Bad Sandwich...

Seriously - why in holy fuck would you do that - if you want massive eyestrain, just buy a 42" LED TV (I know someone who uses a 32" at that range!!) :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by bigc90210 View Post
    having them in portrait kind of makes me think what it would be like to play games in prison (with big black bars infront of your game)
    Odd way of thinking given that

a - consoles aren't allowed in prisons anymore (as they have internet access they're forbidden)
    b - if you had one, why the in the name of shivering jesus would you put it OUTSIDE your cell
    c - cells don't have bars anymore - that's just in the movies I think ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Odd way of thinking given that

a - consoles aren't allowed in prisons anymore (as they have internet access they're forbidden)
    b - if you had one, why the in the name of shivering jesus would you put it OUTSIDE your cell
    c - cells don't have bars anymore - that's just in the movies I think ;)
    A) Consoles are probably still allowed in some prisons. They can have all the internet access they want, but unless they're connected to it they're useless for it.
    B) If it was in a common room it could possible be connected to a TV that's in a steel cage to stop prisoners from damaging the tv or ripping it off the wall
    C) see B.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    As it stands, the UK Home Office has a ban on ANY device capable of radio communication/network access (e.g. Wifi) inside any UK prison - that would cover all current-gen consoles (it didn't cover the PS2 as that required extra hardware - or the original XBOX as that was wired-access only)

Oddly, I know of at least 1 prison which has a Wii tho - and all Wiis have Wifi?

ANYway...
    Last edited by trjp; 26-02-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    As it stands, the UK Home Office has a ban on ANY device capable of radio communication/network access (e.g. Wifi) inside any UK prison - that would cover all current-gen consoles (it didn't cover the PS2 as that required extra hardware - or the original XBOX as that was wired-access only)

Oddly, I know of at least 1 prison which has a Wii tho - and all Wiis have Wifi?

ANYway...
    All Wiis have WiFi except those weird new tiny ones in the US. The 360 doesn't do wireless without an adapter either. And the PS2 needed an add-on to even add a wired ethernet port.