Thread: PhysX

PhysX

Oh I'm going to turn this on tonight! Didn't realise they had actually turned this on yet. Rather excited to see if I can actually use this without any issues.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I know everyone is amazed by all the particles, but it really looks like absolute crap and I've yet to see a game that makes it look good. Sure, it's visually impressive to see that many particles reacting, but it just looks unappealing to to me. It makes it look like water particles or smoke and the particles have a weird weight behind them.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I agree with Jesus fish. The only time I've found such behaviour interesting was in the rise of flight physics demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3tJl...Ry5shC08Wpp1GA

Well, it looks kinda pretty, but a kinda pretty that was tacked on afterwards and doesn't really add anything.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    That's all PhysX ever is it'd be nice to have it used for actual physics, but I'm happy enough with some visual flair.
    mickygor, Battlefield 3
    Otmer, League of Legends EUW
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC

I would be even prettier if the plane becam purple and yellow/orange for a little while
    But it is pretty
    You need me again, sweet lips?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Those stream particles are pretty, as are the medic tool effects, and what they've done with jump pads, but the best parts are really what happens when you shoot at stuff. Look at debris from explosions and the sparks that fly all over the place when you shoot your lasers at a wall. That adds a bit to the feel of the game. This is a good demo:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    I wish you could disable the lift effect. Wasted GPU power, what's cool is the explosions and stuff.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Explosions and rubble are great looking, the lift and swirly smoke crap is meh.

Lesser Hivemind Node BasicPauly's Avatar
    I like the look of all of the physx stuff. There are probably better uses for it other than the grav lifts, but the med stuff, jumps, debris is nice.

It has been used in other games for improved physics... In batman arkham city, physx is used to make realistic paper flutter around the floors. If you run into it, it acts like paper, and lifts/sticks to your leg etc. Thats just one example ive seen, but its a really nice little addition.