Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    But 11 people left at first and filled the squad. I was going to leave it at that. Then people started asking me to open a platoon and lots more joined in. My opening statement wasn't "fuck this shit, let's play strat, join or die".

I am sure it was at some point mob mentality of course, but I am just trying to change the perception that there is a small miniority that prefers to play with split channels with orders, because it is not true. Many of us might want a large chatty group, but many of us also do not want that at all.

Again - I never have and never will want to change wednesdays. I have never ever said that. It was not my intention to fuck up last wednesday like I did. Am I sad because of it? No, since I vastly prefer to play that way. I do feel like a dick because new people might have been scared off.

If I ever start such a squad again, I will limit it at 12 and people that do not like big chattyness will take those spots, but I dont think I will.
    Last edited by RIDEBIRD; 06-02-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Connecting to mumble.... Connected!

"Hmmm, it's Wednesday, what do i fancy today. Well, i know already (for the purposes of this suggestion) that:"

Platoon 1 mumble channel is for people who want casual comms.

and...

Platoon 2 mumble channel is for people who want more strategic comms.

"I think i'll join this one tonight *CLICK* "

Ta-daaaa

I suggest that we set the above as guidelines. Just so people know which one they should to join via their preference. Any person who just expects Wednesdays to be what it is can jump straight into "Platoon 1" mumble and enjoy. (As they would of done anyway.)

Meanwhile, as Platoon 2 mumble fills up with people wanting the opposite, they can decide whether or not to emigrate over to the StraGir or SpecGir channels for more ordered comms.

As long as people take it upon themselves to set up the correct whisper lists; the outfit teamwork will still continue.

Is it just me or is that not completely obvious? There's literally no need for people to be confused. No grey area. Nobody should be feeling like they have to defend themselves, nobody being annoyed that they are missing out. No thinking that newcomers are being scared away. No issue at all. It's totally black and white. If people want to go have more ordered comms they can. That was the whole point in the first place. People who don't, don't. There is a choice anyway.

People who are new will not know any better and will just jump straight into Platoon 1 mumble, joining in with the casual lot as they would of expected. So there will be nobody scaring anyone off. They then can decide for themselves if they want to join in with the ordered comms lot after a while.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

For the 5000th time tho - it's not strategic comms. Both the channels will be the same. There will just be less people, making both channels tolerable for "strategic" people. Big chatty group people lose and will get mad at "strategic" people for wanting to play their way again.

The problem is NOT that people tell storys and talk. The problem is that there's way too many people in one channel, and some people like this.

Agree with that Nick!

It seems like there's a bit of a reluctance to have 'strategic/organised/whatever you want to call it' comms part of nights that aren't dedicated StratGir nights, but in my opinion more organised and laid back groups can live together in harmony! It doesn't really seem fair to not allow people to play the way they want to play; whether its on a dedicated night or not I think we should be given the choice.

There are so many of us now in this lovely community. On any given night there will be people that want more of a laid back time in a big group, and people that want to knuckle down a bit more and get stuck in. It's going to change on a nightly basis how many people want to do what, so why not give people the option when they log in? I can see how calling for a split in comms halfway through a night could be disruptive (I wasn't on last night, but that seems to be what happened), but surely that's more of a reason to have the different channels available at all times?

There may be the issue of not enough people being in one or the other group for them to have a good time, which isn't ideal. But that's not the fault of the group that is more populated, it's just the way things are going to be sometimes. With so many of us wanting different things it's always going to be difficult to please everyone all the time!
    Last edited by MitchK; 06-02-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Agreed, stop making the distinction between gameplay. That is for the Stratgir nights. What Ridebird and others want is just fewer people that talk over each other, and I think everyone agrees. 30+ people can quickly become too many, the only thing that people do not agree 100% on is the size of the splits and how to do the splits. My preference is to split into two 12-24 man groups instead of 4 12 man groups. Also feels more productive to have 24 people when you need to do some fighting, also makes it easier for the leader to manage 2 squads with new orders than trying to manage 4 squads.

Leading 2 squads is definitely something I am up for and able to manage without stress and having my own game session "ruined" by micro management. When that creeps up to 4 squads it just turns into "everyone go there and shoot stuff".

If you split in two squads those two will need to be working together all the time or we have the same confusing problem yet again. As long as that is consistent I am fine with this, except for shorter (<15 minutes) periods of time when you need to split to ghostcap or whatever. I really, really, really, really think The Hydraffe needs split per squad. I think that tactic is DOA otherwise.

Deciding beforehand when if/to split channels is not going to work. No one knows when we'll have a lot of people, and are you saying we should be forced to stay in 30 people channels just cuz' like yesterday? Then I can't play in RPS any more, because I seriously do not enjoy my time with the game when communication is simply not working (I don't think it does with 20+ people).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Guys, can I just ask why everyone is having the same discussion in this thread and in this one?

Can everyone not perhaps just discuss it in one and not the other? Perhaps keep all this talk or any talk related to how many channels we should or shouldn't have to the other topic?

No idea, let's move it to the other thread.

@ Ridebird.

I'm sorry but you've completely taken what i've said out of context there.

I fully understand and agree with your point. That was what my post was about. You seemed to just pick up on the single "strategic" phrase there and run with it, pal... I agree, splitting comms allows more room for talk and jokes.

I really couldnt give a monkeys what one wants to class the two mumble platoons as. The premice was that there are two of them and there always has been. Once people are in them they can have atmospheres and agendas of whetever they want. They can be pretty pink butterflies for all i bloody care.

My choice of phrase was based on what i have seen. People who put forward the idea of splitting are almost always the people who enjoy more "strategic play". That doesnt classify them under people who go and create a nasty evil stratgir spin off of the platoon on casual nights. I just used it in the context of how i view them and how they have portrayed their playstyle preferences.

In the end, it is completely errelevent anyway, if you have gathered the main theme of the post and understand the main issues and reasons behind splitting comms in the first place.

EDIT: Also, i would champion that regardless of your comms point Ridebird. Some people will want to go and be more Strategic.
    Last edited by NickWhite; 06-02-2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Typos
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Lesser Hivemind Node BasicPauly's Avatar
    I think this thread is fine to discuss casual nights tbh?

Anyway, I never meant split people by playstyle cooper.

What I mean, is that we could always split it into some with cluster comms, and some with 12 man comms....

Anyway, last night did become a mess, but I have to say, the only interruption was by people giving orders. It didnt seem like much of the interfearance was from any actual casual chat, which is funny.

At the end of the discussion yesterday, I just decided that it was best to make the executive decision to split into two chat channels. I hope that made it more bearable for those of you who were really hating it. What I HAD meant for the platoon 2 guys to do, was for you to migrate into STRATGIR channels so that you didnt have many in chat (after having discovered who was going strat of course).

It didnt turn out that way, and we just stayed in to moderately sized channels, but I didnt at all mean to necessarily split by play style, but rather comms, so people in 1 could talk up and talk crazy, while people in two were more disciplined.

It may or may not have improved the situation, but it was the best we could do quickly, so apologies if it caused any undue stress. I didnt exactly mean to rebel against the "lets go strat channel" decision, but a few of us felt that we wanted to stay in a larger chat channel as it was a casual night. Apologies also for any conflict, though it wasnt intended if people viewed it that way

<3

Also, two more terms for our dictionary (which needs its own thread):

Hydraffe: The act of dividing the platoon into a large number of semi-filled giraffe galaxies, and splitting to drop on smaller objectives to quickly cap.

Flying Giraffe and/or Galraffe: A galaxy with giraffe camo.

Giraffe Bus: Giraffe camo sundy designed to carry giraffes (and only giraffes) into battle. (lock that shit to squad, son.)

Again with the filter. Can this thing not be removed?

I think this thread is fine to discuss casual nights tbh?

Anyway, I never meant split people by playstyle cooper.

What I mean, is that we could always split it into some with cluster comms, and some with 12 man comms....

Anyway, last night did become a mess, but I have to say, the only interruption was by people giving orders. It didnt seem like much of the interfearance was from any actual casual chat, which is funny.

At the end of the discussion yesterday, I just decided that it was best to make the executive decision to split into two chat channels. I hope that made it more bearable for those of you who were really hating it. What I HAD meant for the platoon 2 guys to do, was for you to migrate into STRATGIR channels so that you didnt have many in chat (after having discovered who was going strat of course).

It didnt turn out that way, and we just stayed in to moderately sized channels, but I didnt at all mean to necessarily split by play style, but rather comms, so people in 1 could talk up and talk crazy, while people in two were more disciplined.

It may or may not have improved the situation, but it was the best we could do quickly, so apologies if it caused any undue stress. I didnt exactly mean to rebel against the "lets go strat channel" decision, but a few of us felt that we wanted to stay in a larger chat channel as it was a casual night. Apologies also for any conflict, though it wasnt intended if people viewed it that way

<3

Also, a few more terms for our dictionary (which needs its own thread):

Hydraffe: The act of dividing the platoon into a large number of semi-filled giraffe galaxies, and splitting to drop on smaller objectives to quickly cap.

Flying Giraffe and/or Galraffe: A galaxy with giraffe camo.

Giraffe Bus: Giraffe camo sundy designed to carry giraffes (and only giraffes) into battle. (lock that shit to squad, son.)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    It's pretty simple, really. Whenever we have more than 30 people in one channel, things get messy. Most may not do it intentionally, but there's always someone talking over someone else, and that can get really annoying for some.

Last night wasn't about going strategic or people having to shut up (well ...), but it was about creating an atmosphere that's more bearable for most of us. To that end, i think that we need to decide spontaneously. If we have 30 people or more that aren't too chatty, normal comms are fine. If we have 30 people and it's like yesterday, it should be an automatic split into two channels. That means more people actually get to chat, while it's far less annoying everyone.

Strategic nights are something completely different.

P.S.: Hydraffe style game-play requires everyone to shut up, or to split comms i'd say. There is no organising this beast otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    stuff
    Yeah, I see your point. One thing though, as I keep saying, I didnt mean going strategic as in tactical gameplay.. simply comms. The original split didnt work, because 12 is too small for casual nights. The second split was fine, and I personally have no issue with it if it gets too much.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Darn game crashed on me a bit after 9 and I was unable to get back on despite waiting around for some twenty-odd minutes. Bleh. Had a good time up until then, though, so thanks to Ridebird and the rest of special giraffes!