Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar

Post Planetside 2: Outfits, outings & other details

Planetside 2 is an MMO-FPS of thousands of players, each chosing one of three empires, fighting over vast scales of conflict.
    Think the scale of EVE with the gameplay of Battlefield.

It is also best played as part of a group. Given its scale, solo play can be a bit of a slog. The draw of Planetside 2 is its scale. Which also means that a context to your actions really helps. We can provide that context such as "watch me do a loop the loop in a Galaxy", "can you get a tank to help me dislodge my sunderer" and "RUN just RUN".

We currently have three RPS outfits (two EU, one US). Each outfit runs regular evening outings each week, though simply jumping in at anytime and you'll likely find enough people playing to put together a squad (or 4).

These outfits are not strict affairs, we welcome anyone except arsehats. No arsehats.

Getting Planetside 2
    Planetside 2 can be downloaded from Steam

Otherwise:
    People with an SOE account / were in the beta / are in the US should go to:
    www.planetside2.com

EU players should go to:
    www.planetside2.eu

Joining an RPS outfit

1. EU players: Create a Vanu Sovereignty and / or a New Conglomerate character on the Miller server (EU)
    2. US players: create a Vanu Sovereignty character on the Connery server (US-WEST)
    3. Jump in on Mumble and ask whoever is in the relevant Empire channel for an invite (Mumble details below)
    4. Join one of the regular nights

Outfits & Outings

Steam Group Here - For all outfits, join for event announcements

There are currently two EU outfits. One for the Vanu (Purple Giraffes with Lasers! Also: hover tanks, rejects from some 80s disco supply warehouse) one for the New Conglomerate (FREEDOM! Also: massive tanks that crush anything, Bon Jovi loving trailer trash hicks).

Many players have a character for each outfit.

There's also a US Vanu outfit

Two EU outfits:
    Rock, Planet, Shotgun [RPS]
    Vanu Sovereignty (empire description)

Regular outings:
    Silly Mondays (8pm UTC)
    Squad-play Tuesdays (8pm UTC)
    Purple Wednesdays
    (8pm UTC)
    Strategic Giraffes (Thursdays) (7:30pm UTC)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rock, Traitor, Shotgun [RTRS]
    New Conglomerate (empire description)

Regular outings:
    Freedom Fridays (7:30pm GMT)
    Sedate Saturdays (7:30pm GMT)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And one US outfit:
    Rock, Paper, Scythe
    Vanu Sovereignty (empire description)

• Server: Connery (US-West)

Regular outing:
    Scythe Sundays

For those of you whose allegiances are guided by a love for a colour scheme that owes a debt to Dennis the Menace, then PCGamer's UK outfit is with the Terran Republic, also on the Miller server. Details here:http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=69

Update
    : The game now permits multiple characters per server.

Comms
    We usually use Mumble for voice chat on our regular outings. In-game voice chat is decent, but has a tendency to break & require a restart, and the levels can be off on occasion.

You don't have to be on Mumble, and we don't expect everyone to have or use a mic, but at least listening in will give some context. You can always also use the in-game text chat.

Details of the unofficial mumble server & how to join & setup are here
    (with many thanks to the lovely ARPS people.)

Within Mumble there are three channels for Planetside 2:
    Barneys = Vanu Sovereignty
    Elmos = Terran Republic
    Smurfs = New Conglomerate

New Players
    In all honesty, the "New Player Experience" is currently a bit crap. Planetside 2 is also not the most intuitive game; the hundreds of icons on your HUD, reading the continent maps, working out where to go & what to do are not always particualrly obvious.

Your best bet if you are jumping in for the first time is to join one of the regular outings.

Here, though, are some resources that might help:
    Planetside 2 Wiki:
    Classes
    Vehicles

Video tutorials:
    TotalBiscuit's intro video

Slightly out of date, but quick & basic intro to PS2

Detailed intros:
    Empires & Classes
    Menus, Finding fights, Map & Resources
    Ground Vehicles
    Air Vehicles
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cooper; 11-03-2013 at 03:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Thanks for sorting these threads out, Cooper. Nice job!
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Network Hub
    Waiting on the download now. I'll be glad to join the Traitors on Friday

Created my Vanu (Bryghid) on Miller but it wont let me create an NC on Miller? Anyone else getting this?

Activated Node
    Can I suggest that we use Miller for Vanu (since people are already setup for that) and create NC characters on a different EU server (assuming we can).
    Not sure what the server lists are.

Edit: So NC would be on Woodman, I guess, as that's the only other EU server.
    Last edited by Dr.Evanzan; 20-11-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Evanzan View Post
    Can I suggest that we use Miller for Vanu (since people are already setup for that) and create NC characters on a different EU server (assuming we can).
    Not sure what the server lists are.

Edit: So NC would be on Woodman, I guess, as that's the only other EU server.
    Reasoning behind miller is that a lot of large Euro outfits are basing out of it. Means more organised shenanigans!

Activated Node
    The problem then is that people have to choose either NC or Vanu outfits.
    If you want to be both, then you can't be both on Miller (from what Kimded has said).
    Or am I just making a panic over nothing.
    Can someone confirm you can create a 2nd character on another server but not the same server?

Network Hub
    I had this same problem with the beta last week when I wanted to join in with Freedom Friday. There seemed to be a one characer - of any faction - per server limit.

I got round it by making a new account with another beta key, signed in with that could then make a new NC character on Eurydome.

Activated Node
    Creating a new account is problematic if you want to use Alpha Squad/Subscriptions.
    (Not to mention that if they don't like you having 2 characters on a server they may not appreciate 2 accounts to do so.)

You would have to be pretty dedicated to have 2 accounts with 2 subscriptions.

Edit: Arthur has confirmed on Mumble chat that you can't create another faction character on the same server but can create different faction characters across servers.

As such, I'd really prefer if NC would move to Woodman so I can join both outfits.
    (Vanu seems to already be established on Miller which is why I suggest NC move.)
    Last edited by Dr.Evanzan; 20-11-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    But that would put NC into a less organized/outfit-active server, which would screw NC-mainers like me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Same for me. Have VS on Miller, cannot create NC or TR on Miller now.S
    Sucks.

*edit*
    I just looked at the Miller creating screen and sometimes it displays the server as "full". Not always but it jumps to that every now and then. With that numbers highly doubt that the other server will lack outfits/organized play (Not saying who should move or if anyone should).
    Last edited by bonkers; 20-11-2012 at 09:45 PM.

I dont see the issue with maintaining 2 accounts on 1 server. If you want to have membership on your main character and maybe just use the other for the respective factions event. Its up to individuals where you want your mains!

Well true. But still sucks and isn't really a "good" solution to the issue. Don't know why soe didn't go with a two faction per server limit. Especially since people can just create a new account.
    I think I go and complain a bit in the official forums

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Wafflynumber View Post
    I dont see the issue with maintaining 2 accounts on 1 server. If you want to have membership on your main character and maybe just use the other for the respective factions event. Its up to individuals where you want your mains!
    This is true to a degree but would you really be happy to wait in a queue for 30 mins because your subscription is with your main character on your other account? Not to mention what would happen if SOE regard having different faction characters on the same server as cheating and nuke both your accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Evanzan View Post
    This is true to a degree but would you really be happy to wait in a queue for 30 mins because your subscription is with your main character on your other account? Not to mention what would happen if SOE regard having different faction characters on the same server as cheating and nuke both your accounts.
    It's just a suggestion, if you don't want to risk it then fine. The point is, it's hardly fair to expect the NC outfit to move from an already known to be organised server to a server we know little about.

Well, game crashed three times now. Get the same G37 error message every time. Think I might leave it for a while and let SOE servers breathe. My character is SceptrumVS on Miller. Thought you could have different characters from different factions on same server, hence the nickname, but meh not a big deal.
    Steam: krusader83 | Origin: Sceptrum
    Planetside 2: SceptrumVS (Miller) : SceptrumNC (Cobalt) : SceptrumTR (Cobalt)

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Wafflynumber View Post
    The point is, it's hardly fair to expect the NC outfit to move from an already known to be organised server to a server we know little about.
    I agree that the situation isn't fair and I don't think SOE's decision to ban multiple faction characters is a good one.
    However, I'm skeptical of how much of a difference being on Miller will make and I think a server move would be a better idea than splitting the player base for the RPS outfits. What's more, it would be better to do that now while people are just getting setup rather than later once characters have properly been established.

As this doesn't look like it will be resolved at this stage, however, I guess I'll have to cast my vote and try to create my NC character on Miller. Hopefully SOE will change their mind and I can have a secondary Vanu character on there too.
    But anyway, my client has finally downloaded so let's see if I can actually get into anywhere!

The thing is that we do not have that many players. If we require people to have additional accounts to play for both outfits I doubt all too many players would do that, harming both outfits in the process.
    Imho one outfit should switch to another server but it surely isn't on me to decide and I am greatfull for that

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I wish there had been some kind of heads up about this from the devs.

In anycase, I'm not averse to working with multiple accounts to get around this (even if I'm thinking of plumping for the membership and that'll leave me without the bonuses on one charrie)

I say we try that out for the first week. See how it works out. If people are just not turning up for one faction or another because they've been forced to chose and don't want to run multiple accounts, we'll work through that later.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Hey folks, I'm new around here (long time reader though), I'm hoping to hook up with you guys in the next few days. I prefer to play NC, but honestly, the online games are about playing with other people, so I'm easy like that.