Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Activated Node
    As a PS veteran of old I did find the beginning a little clunky and unfamiliar, which I was surprised about, but then I found my feet.

My opening went something like this:

First ever spawn. Die. That was quick.
    Spawn. Oh look friendly tro- die.
    Spawn. Hide. Start figuring out WTF the map is telling me. I think I have this now, let's head outside. Ooh look, red dot. Die.

So on and so on. This is no bad thing, this is Planetside.

Then I begin to hide and move with cover and follow people. I get my first rank from capping a few foo's and then just moving around and, you know, being a trooper. I found being the medic gave me quite a bit of kudos and experience.

Then it happened, what I was waiting for, my first Planetside moment. I was crossing a bridge as a trooper with armour cover, a heap of us hiding behind the armour as mobile shields, taking and dishing out fire. It was proper old school fun, like it used to be. Sniper rounds pinging off the tanks, bullets flaying past. People calling out for medics. That was how I remembered Planetside.

Too many numpties are still spawning armour and just driving over everyone and not positioning themselves to provide proper cover, but it's early days. I'm generally feeling pretty damn positive about the future of Planetside.

I knew little of Planetside when I first loaded up the beta (and before they added the "help screens" etc) but I was quickly able to determine oh flashy means bad, shoot , kill, repair, heal, capture it was very intuitive to me, but I suppose they could do a better job of explaining things which is where the help screens I thought were dong a decent job, but of course most gamers will just switch them off and ignore them.

Oh, and last night was really fun running around with the VS guys, should hopefully be able to make it again at some point

There are quite helpful videos on Youtube called Planetside 2 Basic training. They are also advertised in the launcher. I know it would be better if the game itself was better at telling new players what to do and where, but the game itself feels much more like a beta than anything else.
    I would be pissed that i bought Alpha Squad if i did not have so damn much fun.
    I am mostly soloing around, very often as a light assault in base fights, trying to overload generators behind the enemy lines or, well trying to throw grenades and C4 right into the enemy lines.
    Yesterday i was approaching a tower in Indra in a Flash (the buggy) and i went down one of those rocky Indra-mountain-slopes to approach from a different direction than our Armor did. And around me there were 3 other Flashs doing the same. That felt so awesome, the 4 of us jumping over rocks, overtaking each other and basically having an offroad race into the fight.
    And another time i was a medic in my magrider together with a random stranger who also was a medic and we took a few almost abandoned outposts in the desert that the south end of Indra is, reviving each other if a stray NC brought one of us down. Felt like we were the last civilized people left on the planet.
    Last edited by DeVadder; 22-11-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Network Hub
    Ok, this game has absolutely unplayable lag when a server is at high. Like, laughably bad.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I'm feeling quite lucky with this.

I've hit some lag, but not enough to break the game and I've not hit any bugs yet and it's not cooking my pc alive. Only issue thus far are the queues.

Network Hub
    I keep being able to snipe cloaked infriltrators from range because the server isn't displaying the cloak. I've killed many people through walls and hills because the lag causes them to be displayed running through a wall/hill giving me line of sight. I'm getting killed while cloaked because my cloak isn't displaying. Every single character is warping like crazy, and trying to play a vehicle is not working at all.

Is this going to be it?

Unlikely.

No MMO game has ever launched without hiccups. It wasn't near as laggy in the beta, I'd say in a day or two it'll be evened out again.

Obscure Node
    What's most interesting is running with people that are clearly lagging (rubberbanding, running in place and the like) who are also complaining of serious lag, while I didn't have ANY lag last night.

For reference I'm using the non-steam client and through SOE's launcher.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
    I keep being able to snipe cloaked infriltrators from range because the server isn't displaying the cloak. I've killed many people through walls and hills because the lag causes them to be displayed running through a wall/hill giving me line of sight. I'm getting killed while cloaked because my cloak isn't displaying. Every single character is warping like crazy, and trying to play a vehicle is not working at all.

Is this going to be it?
    The "no cloak at distance" was a LOD bug that was fixed a few patches ago. But I saw it rear its head again last night.

The warping got pretty bad Wednesday afternoon, I was warp free for the evening jolly though.

But razgon's right: Warping can be really client-sided. It's not uncommon to be the only one of a few with / without lag in a squad.

One of the major causes here is packet loss. PS2 is very sensitive to this, moreso than latency.

Wireless connections are pretty bad for PS2... Also, make sure there's nothing torrenting etc. in the background...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

So whose been buying items yet?

I've not bought a gun or anything yet, but I'm tempted to buy a 1 day xp boost for every Wednesday (its about the only time I get any serious playtime in) and see how it goes.

I saw something about "trial guns" popping up twice yesterday, can we try before we buy?

I bought a few guns. Apparently they only show up after client restart though. I bought the Crow twice because of that but got refunded within a few hours after i set up a ticket.

Sadly i can not use them because i am not setting a foot on the laghell that is Miller currently.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yesterday I had a enormo-lag in Miller. I was able to walk around for minutes,with everybody frozen in place, except a few persons. Imagine if you can induce artificial lag. A sniper could "freeze time",just by adding 4 seconds lag, to be able to aim to the head with impunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    So whose been buying items yet?

I've not bought a gun or anything yet, but I'm tempted to buy a 1 day xp boost for every Wednesday (its about the only time I get any serious playtime in) and see how it goes.

I saw something about "trial guns" popping up twice yesterday, can we try before we buy?
    Bought quite a few things for my Vanu. Bought the Infantry starter bundle as it gave a nice amount of goodies, including the Pulsar LMG for Heavy Assault and Nova shotgun. Also, since I prefer the HA class I bought the two lock-on missile launchers (Hades & Nemesis) and have netted me some xp from shooting down Reavers and Liberators.
    Also bought some cosmetic stuff, like composite helmet bundle.

Quote Originally Posted by DeVadder View Post
    I bought a few guns. Apparently they only show up after client restart though. I bought the Crow twice because of that but got refunded within a few hours after i set up a ticket.

Sadly i can not use them because i am not setting a foot on the laghell that is Miller currently.
    A logout-login works for me, but yeah it really should unlock at once.
    Steam: krusader83 | Origin: Sceptrum
    Planetside 2: SceptrumVS (Miller) : SceptrumNC (Cobalt) : SceptrumTR (Cobalt)

I dont know why I get so much warping, I am on a decent PC (i7 3930k, 32Gb RAM, 670GTX) and a 100Mbs cable internet, but at times (like last night every so often) it gets almost laughably bad with people/vehicles going everywhere and people suddenly appearing. Any advice?

Although I will say that last night I saw less of it than in the afternoon, it was still there but at least I didnt end up walking into an empty room only for server to suddenly render a room full of bad guys

Network Hub
    pingtest shows there to be no obvious problems with my connection! Can someone friend me so I can be added to RPS? 'Khamilto' in game (VS).

Hi, I think I want to be in an RPS outfit. Why wouldn't I! I'm maxson on the EU server.

Activated Node
    I'm rocking the Nemesis as well. The damage reduction is nothing compared to the ability to take down those pesky Mossys. And dumbfire still works for the tanks and MAXes.

Obscure Node
    After playing yesterday with you guys, and today with a guy at work, I "Get" Planetside 2. I'm probably gonna be Vanu-ing it up every day I'm not in Skyrim, let alone Wednesday.

Name: Kalesche

Log on at midnight last night to a far smoother experience then yesterday afternoon.
    I was then faced with this:

EDIT: Goddamnit Youtube! Why so many artifacts?

Besides people flying drunk / on lag tablets, game was a load of fun.
    Last edited by Scumbag; 22-11-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Obscure Node
    Had great fun playing Vanu last night, I was thinking of going TR originally, but think I'm sticking with Vanu and the RPS crowd now, good times! Magrider power slides ftw!