Network Hub

Games with Realistic Tracking Mechanics

Insipired by Berzee's thread on Detective Games About Detecting.

Are there any games where tracking plays a large part? I.E. broken branches or footprints in a forest, animal droppings, maybe sounds in the distance, etc?

It seems like interactivity isn't quite to the point where games like these would be really good, but I'm hoping to be proven wrong. I imagine there may be hunting games like this? All the ones I've seen consist of wait-for-animal, kill-animal mechanics which isn't the same thing, of course.

UnReal World has tracking using footprints, but I haven't played it in ages so not sure about the rest.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Try The Hunter. The basic game is free and its pretty to wander around in, even if I totally failed to kill anything.

URW has footprints, sound, blood trails from wounded creatures as well as snares and traps. It's all done via skill checks rather than working it out for yourself, though. Very good game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Can you hunt stuff with bow in THE HUNTER ?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Woot! I'm an inspiration!

Interesting question. I don't know of any recent "complete games" that have it (I doubt my preferred genres intersect much with the games where tracking is likely to be implemented =P). Here's all I can think of:

Wolf! It's a game from 1994 where you play as a wolf, and can track prey (and avoid hunters) by using your various senses (smells has the best range and can actually tell you where stuff is from multiple screens away, but it's dependent on being downwind...hearing has medium range in all directions, but provides vague information...sight is limited to the top-down view around you). That's a different sort of tracking, but still. ;)

Yeti Hunter! This is a sort-of-game that has you sort-of-tracking pools of blood and footsteps to seek out the elusive Yeti!

As a sort of weird BEING-tracked experience, I was very surprised when playing a snow-laden level in NOLF2 (I think it was 2) to hear a guard suddenly mutter "Now wheeeere did these footprints come from?"
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Can you hunt stuff with bow in THE HUNTER ?
    I think there's a bow. Might have to pay for it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I checked it out and they have subscribtion :| LAME!

Network Hub
    I'd really like to see some open-world games (think Far Cry or Stalker) incorporate subtle stuff like animal/human tracks which would occasionally lead you to something interesting or useful. Also dropped/abandoned items, blood spatter etc. which could give you some ideas of what has happened at the location, or inform you about possible future encounters. Specifically, I'd like to see some game do this and never highlight the things for you or explain their significance - either you would spot them and make use of them, or you would not.

Also, maybe real navigation with map and/or compass. No minimap, no quest markers, no dot marking your current location or any found location on the map. You could just scroll and turn the map around, or draw/write on it yourself.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Far Cry 2 actually does a *small* amount of that with some of the hidden diamond briefcases. It's not animals or human tracks, but there have been a couple of times where I noticed a breadcrumb trail of destroyed vehicle parts half buried in the sand, and when I went to investigate there were diamonds about 50 feet away, with maybe a dead guy laying next to them. It would be nice if it happened more and in subtler ways than smoldering car pieces, yeah =)
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Far Cry 2's grass is flattened by vehicles. I don't think that has any use in the game. Hopefully in FC3 animals will flatten it...

Prototype 2 makes me feel like a predator. You have some sort of sonar in your head used to track targets. Get up to a high building, ping and see where the echo ripples from. It's fun as hell for such a simple mechanic. You can also use that sonar to figure out which enemies are watched by others and consume those that aren't. It's absolutely hilarious to eat your way through an entire base without raising an alert. Basically you're The Thing!

I immediately thought of Discworld Noir [spoiler] where you track, albeit for a very short while, track a murderer while you're a werewolf [/spoiler]
    Mijn Uitlaatklep - My (Dutch) blog about games, music and more

Seconding The Hunter, here's a gameplay video I made of it a while ago:

I had a lot of fun with the free version. The gameplay is very challenging. You'll often spend half an hour wandering around tracking animals without seeing anything, but it all pays off with some very tense moments when you finally get your prey in sight and manage to get close enough to take a shot. And the feeling of accomplishment when you manage to get a clean kill? Oh my god. And, of course, it looks amazing thanks to being powered by Just Cause 2's Avalanche Engine.

Network Hub
    Dwarf Fortress will have a tracking mechanic with the next big patch.

Obscure Node
    Andy decides to require a large

And show the planet what vampires square measure capable of and what they're The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 1 capable of doing to the vamps. What’s additional, attending is outwardly obligatory, as she locks the doors therefore any unwilling Wiccans can’t leave. Jessica is telling Nan The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 2 regarding her boy troubles. Nan is unsympathetic. “You square measure nothing such as you square measure on TV,” Jessica tells her. Nan: “Aw, thanks.” Bill returns, and Nan demands to understand what the story is with the witches. Cue to Vampatraz, Watch Skyfall Online wherever they are all in chains up in silver. Bill tells her they will have to be compelled to cancel the competition of Tolerance, however Nan refuses, spoken communication there is been an excessive amount of message regarding it. Download Skyfall Movie "Beyond tomorrow’s headline," Bill tells her, "you square measure a visually handicapped person." "Bolster security if you are feeling it necessary," Nan snarls, "but tomorrow’s competition of Tolerance goes forward, and also the cameras had damn well higher notice you during a festal and tolerant (bleeping) mood."

At Hoyt’s House of Hangover, he's packing up Jessica's things during a box labeled Watch Twilight Saga Breaking Dawn Part 2 Online “For You, MONSTER.” Suddenly LafayetteMavis walks in with Mikey. “Get out of my house,” he/she says to Hoyt, pull Andy's gun on him. Hoyt vamooses. “This is my bebe,” he/she coos to Mikey. At the Bellefleur house, Arlene is telling mythical being Dexter Season 7 Episode 8 that the baby’s father took him. Jason, of course, thinks Terry is that the father, not Rene, Arlene's serial murderer ex-fiance UN agency with great care happens to be dead. Hoyt calls up and tells mythical being that The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 6 Lafayette simply waltzed into his house with the baby and also the creepy doll. Terry is PTSDing. Andy decides to require a large dose of V. that ought to be associate degree awe-inspiring band.

So clearly, after we see a soft-focus awaken during a horny red night-robe, The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 6 we all know it is a dream, however because it went on, UN agency thought, "Wow, is Alan Ball very aiming to go there?" goes to the door, and it's Eric, and it's daylight. they begin cuddling, however suddenly Bill is there, too. "What square measure you doing here?" Eric asks Bill. "Ask . It's her dream." Bill and Eric nearly come back to blows over , WatchTwilight Saga Breaking Dawn 2 Online however she decides to indicate who's boss. the actual fact is, she's infatuated with each of them. "I'm proposing that the 2 of you be mine." Eric and Bill aren't biting. "You guys square measure vampires," chides. "What's with all the morality?" She undoes her gown. "It's either the Watch the man with the iron fists Online each of you, or nothing in the least." They each reach bent her, and he or she kisses Eric, then Bill. Then each vamps bite her at an equivalent time. She wakes up. Tommy is making an attempt to compose a good day note to surface-to-air missile at Merlotte’s. Marcus comes in probing for surface-to-air missile. They sniff one another out. Watch Skyfall Online Marcus tells Tommy to create certain his brother is at Marcus' bike search tonight, or else.

Network Hub
    I've tried The Hunter now, and I agree it's a pretty good way to spend a couple hours. Doubt I would pay for it, but the free version is interesting enough.

There is definitely something satisfying about tracking game, sneaking up on it, and getting the kill clean. It is a bit irritating you don't get points for bring down a doe, just bucks. It's the same animal, one just has a branch on its head!

Jeeze.