Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Steam Reviews: Caesar fingers

http://store.steampowered.com/reviews/

Steam is giving us the ability to be highly judgemental and downvote the games we bougth by mistake. Yay!.

It also promote all these "opinions" about games, now can be edited and can be a downvote for the game. It seems this aims for long format, big long articles about games. It also seems to allow you to stalk^W follow some author you like the opinions.

Also, we need a generic Steam thread, so we don't open a new thread every time we have Steam news.
    I kindly suggest you to donate/subscribe to RPS, to help this type of professional journalism

Q. Do these written reviews create an overall score or rating for a product?

A. Not yet, but we are looking to add that during the beta. Many products on Steam change significantly over time as the game or software is updated and new content is added. In order to form a score that accurately reflects the current state of a product, we first need to gather and evaluate the data from reviews.

Oh god, if they do that it's going to be a whole new Metacritic user review section. They should just stick to aggregating the reviews of the people in your friends list, otherwise it's just going to become a cesspit interspersed with bits of astroturf.

On the bright side, I can now write about a game I own on Steam negatively without it showing up as a generic 'recommendation'.

Honestly I think I liked recommendation system more.

I prefer hearing about games others recommend. Recommendations did that to some degree even if a few people insisted on making negative "recommendations".
    I want to hear about games people like not games people hate, the latter is often a pile of rage that doesn't tell me anything.

Also, I recall correctly you had to own the game on Steam to give a recommendation, which I thought was a good thing. From what's mentioned here you can post a review without even playing the game, and that leads to all sorts of nastiness. If a game gives off a poor impression up front then it'll tend to attract a lot of knee-jerk negative reviews from people who haven't even touched it yet regardless of what's actually in the game.
    I don't like the idea of certain games getting even more of an advantage just from having a pretty store page than they already do.
    Last edited by Professor Paul1290; 25-11-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Network Hub
    I'm worried that it's another step towards Steam not regulating the store for games that are in no position to be sold.

"It's broken and buggy but isn't an Early Access game? Ok, you should post a review then, to warn other users as we have not plans to remove it from the store."

I'm not saying that it's guaranteed to happen, but Steam seem to be attempting to set up a smokescreen with regards to what they can and can't sell in the store. The one thing I'm hopeful for is that it removes a lot of the useless whinging and complaining from the forums for games so I don't have to go through pages to find any useful information for the game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    GoG.com reviews work, I think more so the community is smaller and better minded.

Generally on Amazon reviews work unless something unrelated to the product happens and it gets 1 starred.

I really do not have hope for this system really, but at least Steam is finally catching up to E-Commerce 201.

Network Hub
    How are they handing stale reviews? Most games on rules these days generally have some sort of baggage which people shout to high heaven about but these things generally get fixed. If im looking at a review thats dated from a year ago where is the value in it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    How are they handing stale reviews? Most games on rules these days generally have some sort of baggage which people shout to high heaven about but these things generally get fixed. If im looking at a review thats dated from a year ago where is the value in it?
    The link mentions, For Developers:

Q. My game or software has changed a lot since it launched. Will reviews reflect that?

A. The reviews that are shown most prominently on your store page are selected from recently-written reviews, which should reflect the current state of your game or software.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    The link mentions, For Developers:

Q. My game or software has changed a lot since it launched. Will reviews reflect that?

A. The reviews that are shown most prominently on your store page are selected from recently-written reviews, which should reflect the current state of your game or software.
    This bit right here is something I do like. I would hope that the messy rush of perfect and zero reviews that occur at launch quickly fall off and make way for those by people who actually the games and/or are in the game's intended target audience.

That said, I would also hope that this doesn't pressure game developers to make "games that would look good on Steam" instead of making the game they would make otherwise.

I worry that may already be a thing to some extent. I notice that a lot of games that do better Greenlight seem to "front-load" their content so as to make for better first impressions and demos. I would hate to think that the devs are doing that specifically for that purpose as I strongly dislike the idea of "Steam impressions" becoming an incentive for a design decision.
    Last edited by Professor Paul1290; 25-11-2013 at 09:36 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post

http://store.steampowered.com/reviews/

Steam is giving us the ability to be highly judgemental and downvote the games we bougth by mistake. Yay!.

It also promote all these "opinions" about games, now can be edited and can be a downvote for the game. It seems this aims for long format, big long articles about games. It also seems to allow you to stalk^W follow some author you like the opinions.

Also, we need a generic Steam thread, so we don't open a new thread every time we have Steam news.
    Well providing you have to actually buy the game first I don't see a problem. Much worse are the Trolling / anti game threads by people who never actually played the thing and are just slating it due to a misguided brand loyalty to a rival game.

I can see it being a useful tool for spotting both truly terrible games like war z and day one Garys incident, while also unearthing some hidden gems.

Perhaps they should only let people post reviews if they've got 10+ hours played though.
    Last edited by karaquazian; 25-11-2013 at 10:04 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Paul1290 View Post
    This bit right here is something I do like. I would hope that the messy rush of perfect and zero reviews that occur at launch quickly fall off and make way for those by people who actually the games and/or are in the game's intended target audience.

That said, I would also hope that this doesn't pressure game developers to make "games that would look good on Steam" instead of making the game they would make otherwise.

I worry that may already be a thing to some extent. I notice that a lot of games that do better Greenlight seem to "front-load" their content so as to make for better first impressions and demos. I would hate to think that the devs are doing that specifically for that purpose as I strongly dislike the idea of "Steam impressions" becoming an incentive for a design decision.
    That's not just a greenlight phenomenen its being going on for years and big publishers do it too. Few front loaded games off the top of my head...
    Age of conan
    Diablo 3
    swtor
    Actually most mmos thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by karaquazian View Post
    Perhaps they should only let people post reviews if they've got 10+ hours played though.
    If they add a time limit, it should be an hour at most. You wouldn't be able to review short games (4-8 hours). I think it's great that they show how long the person has played it right next to the review. If it's less than an hour but praising the depth of the game and it's longevity, I think you should take a look at another review.

-Edit- On top of that, if people really want to abuse the system, then it's possible to have the game run on the background without even actually playing the game. Perhaps show the amount of achievements done (20 out of 40) alongside with the time played for a bit more accuracy. Wouldn't probably change much, if people want to abuse it, they'll eventually find a way.
    Last edited by Maurish; 25-11-2013 at 10:22 PM.

I wouldn't want to play a crap or buggy game for ten hours just to give it a bad review. What if your saves corrupted before the ten hours were up? Happened to me before and completely turned me off the game.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurish View Post
    If they add a time limit, it should be an hour at most. You wouldn't be able to review short games (4-8 hours). I think it's great that they show how long the person has played it right next to the review. If it's less than an hour but praising the depth of the game and it's longevity, I think you should take a look at another review.

-Edit- On top of that, if people really want to abuse the system, then it's possible to have the game run on the background without even actually playing the game. Perhaps show the amount of achievements done (20 out of 40) alongside with the time played for a bit more accuracy. Wouldn't probably change much, if people want to abuse it, they'll eventually find a way.
    Well it depends on the game. I don't see how you could possibly review let's say skyrim after a single hours play.

We've all seen reviews on gaming sites based off just the start of a game, one of the advantages of this system is you can see reviews based on long term play. Particularly useful for those games that front load their content to get nice reviews - e.g. most mmos.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Generally on Amazon reviews work unless something unrelated to the product happens and it gets 1 starred.
    Except for amazon.de, where games get 1-starred into oblivion because they use steamworks.
    GW2: Urraca Aldor

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I like the idea.

Needing to own the game before you can rate it is a great idea. You could also follow the profile of the reviewer to see how much of the game they actually played.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Another problem with requiring X hours played is games with no DRM that people play with steam closed.
    Steam ID ; GFWL: alset85

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by alset85 View Post
    Another problem with requiring X hours played is games with no DRM that people play with steam closed.
    Launch the game from steam 5 min,
    Problem solved.

The real problem with gamers opinions its that we are too passionate both positive and negativelly in a unhealty way :-/
    I kindly suggest you to donate/subscribe to RPS, to help this type of professional journalism

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by alset85 View Post
    If you want to review it on Steam you play it on Steam - how fucking complicated can some people make life?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think we might have another GreenlightGold coming here - SteamReviewGold

How about this for starters

"This game is good.

However it is very hard like rock. Me and my two friends one who is a little bit simple, got stuck on the second boss cos it is VERY hard like man of steel.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Apparently Steam will display play time and achievements earned by the reviewer, so hopefully that should show to some extent how much someone has played.
    steam: sketch