Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Banned

Walking Dead: The Aftermath.

Episode 5: Possibly the most tense and upsetting hour and a bit of gaming outside of the suicide run on Mass Effect 2, and yes it's pretty short but golly gosh if it isn't one of the best hours of gaming this year too.

I actually feel exhausted and I'm still a little weepy fifteen minutes later.

So, how did it go for you guys?

SOME HEAVY SPOILERS HERE ON IN:

There was no Ben so he didn't manage to get anyone else killed or jeopardize the life of anyone else further, but Kenny went and sacrificed himself for prego Christa like the total bro he is. That was when the tears started for me. I loved that dumb hick.

Who the fuck chopped their arm off? Figured I was gonna turn anyway and it would help me choke the fuck out of whoever had Clem and I didn't want her to seem me even more hurt.

And urrrgh the awful sick feeling in my stomach when I saw the station wagon, the station wagon. You know which one I mean. Lucky for me I'd taught Clem how to shoot.

Her little blood splattered face was utterly heart breaking at the end. I'm glad she had the brass to shoot Lee though. I actually feel really bad for him. Amazing how the game had you sympathising with convicted murderer. Oh well I hope he's hitting on Carly if Doug hasn't got their first up in heaven.

But yes it does seem like we're guaranteed another season from the inevitable post credits scene. I sincerely hope Telltale upgrade their engine slightly though for future instalments. Surely they have the money to do so after the success and acclaim the Walking Dead has enjoyed. Some real cell shading would be delicious along with some better animation. I may sound like a graphics whore but that's the only thing holding the game back in my opinion, the archaic tech. I'd love to see it in the new Unreal Engine or something similar that is also capable of providing audio that doesn't sound like it was recorded on a webcam. Keep it point and click though, I don't want an action game, just more BLEAK.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    WHAT!? Fuck, I quit during the credits and missed the scene. Now I can't seem to watch it without playing the episode again, which just feels wrong.

We seem to have played quite differently.

There was a Ben. Needless to say, Christa wasn't the cause of death for Kenny, but he got it anyway. It's kind of Ben's thing, you know.

I chopped Lee's arm off! [TV-series spoiler] I knew it could work. [/spoiler] Still choked Daddy.

And yeah, I totally can't wait to see what happens if I leave the station wagon alone. Daddy was such an important part of the plot. Do they replace him with someone else you've wronged or do the gang decide to loot the car against your wishes? I'll find out next play-through.

Oh, and my Lee convinced Clem to leave him. She shouldn't have to do it. Besides, every bullet is important and she might need it later.

I told her to meet up with Christa and Omid by the train.

Awesome game, great finish!

EDIT: Apparently, that post credits scene had an achievement. I guess it's not enough for me to know it, I have too see it too.

EDIT 2: Budged and decided to play through the episode again. Luckily, I just had to do the last sequence again, so I played it identically. Cutscene watched! Achievement un-gained..
    Last edited by Fanbuoy; 21-11-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Spoilers:
    Hacked off Lee's arm, because hey it sounded like a good idea, and the TV says it works? Couldn't believe it when I found out the cancer patients made off with the boat... also had to laugh a tiny bit at Brie coming back. Can anyone remember if she had that gaping abdominal wound that she got left with when they started eating her last time? I didn't look too closely, just curious about a possible continuity error.

Ben was around, got himself fucked up, and Kenny took one for the team (pointlessly, needlessly!) leaving myself, Omid and Christa to continue on. When I saw the station wagon I couldn't believe it. I had my suspicions that it might have been somewhat more significant when it appeared in the opening sequence, but I still pretty much thought it was just character building.

Clem sank a meat cleaver into the Stranger's arm and Lee throttled him. Shot him to make sure he wouldn't come back. I made Clem shoot Lee. Told Clem to go with Omid and Christa because... well, who else?

As for the end credit sequence - god damn it I watched that thing all the way through to the end, and I didn't get the achievement.

All in all, absolutely fantastic series! I loved the characters and how it was still largely a morally grey game that didn't boil down to "Pick the red action for an evil line, pick the blue one for a good line, with blatantly obvious consequences!" Lee might be my favourite protagonist in a long time. They really need a better engine though... the animation sequences glitch up a fair bit for me, with models jerking around sometimes. Graphically I don't mind the art style though, it's like playing through a comic book.
    Last edited by soldant; 21-11-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Fixed spoiler!

Banned
    Apparently the achievement on Steam is bugged. I didn't get it either. But its worth watching none the less, if only for just more tears.

So did (could?) Lee survive or not?

Not gonna lie. I cried.

Spoliers in the next bit:

I got separeted from Omid and Christa by the crossing of the sign. I went first and told them to wait by the train. Seeing as she's along in the last post credit scene I guess she didn't find them? Anyone who knows?

What an absolutely stunning effort by TTG! I've been really happy to have played this game and now I'm emotionally drained.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

I think I had the same ending scene as Stellar Duck. Anyone get anything different?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Well you see

Omid and Christa walking in the distance.

Well, someone at least. I'm thinking that it's probably the same for everyone. That way, we have a canon ending, thus making it easier to launch a second season with only details differing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I have no words, I am emotionally drained. Great series.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I have no words, I am emotionally drained. Great series.
    Didn't expect them to do it but they went there and boy, did they do it in a fantastic fashion. Season 2 can't come soon enough. The post credits part was also a nice touch.

As for the graphics PZ mentioned, I don't mind average graphics but at least make it consistent, character models look fine but non interactable objects are like a blur made out of super low textures. Then again some zombies look fine and others are low texture. Really strange stuff that I hope will be fixed, I also hope season two will be more of a point and click adventure.

Also seems like the last achievement didn't activate, curses!

Now for some spoilery decisions!

I chose to tell Clem to leave and not shoot me in the face, bullets are better saved than wasted and I still had a little bit of hope I wouldn't die and somehow get out or survive.

I also killed that motherfucker who took Clem, I'm not sure if they did it intentionally but the whole chopping the arm and that creep having a bowlingballbag with a head looks like a nod to the Walking Dead comics.

Last edited by Ravelle; 21-11-2012 at 04:23 PM.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Well you see

Omid and Christa walking in the distance.
    That doesn't explain her reaction though.

Also: sawing off my arm was fucking gut wrenching. Easily the must gruesome thing I've ever done in a game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I'm guessing it's because she can't tell, but from the silhouette it's heavily implied it's them

Obscure Node
    I feel like I just ran a marathon. God this game.

I'm not going to lie. There were tears. I mean, obviously, I didn't cry. But someone in the room did.
    While I was playing Walking Dead. By myself.

I need to watch a sitcom to cheer me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclad View Post
    I feel like I just ran a marathon. God this game.

I'm not going to lie. There were tears. I mean, obviously, I didn't cry. But someone in the room did.
    While I was playing Walking Dead. By myself.

I need to watch a sitcom to cheer me up.
    I recommend playing Train Simulator. That sorted me out. No tragic events, no pressure, not tears, no yelling and dying people.

Just spending 3 hours driving a night train through Germany.

Network Hub
    I certainly teared up, and have done so for the last three episodes at certain points. It was a fantastic ending as far as I'm concerned, and looking forward to a season 2 (and Sam & Max season 4!).

As for choices:

I decided to cut my arm off for starters, not read the comics and only seen the first season of the TV series so I wasn't sure what effect it would have, and at least the others would know they survived and ran into something similar. Ben didn't decide to join me at the end of Ep. 4 but when escaping the mansion he fell and Kenny did what he could for him. I had to leave Omid and Christa when the sign fell. When I first saw the station wagon I wasn't certain but had guessed what was going to happen. Ended up killing him after Clem whacked him with a lamp, I didn't know you had a choice but wanted to kill him anyway (I'm very protective of Clem). I told Clem to shoot me, I was worried about wasting the bullet but felt Clem needed to do the same way I made Kenny shoot Duck, and Lee kill his brother, its something you'd regret if you didn't, and will help prepare her for the world. Convinced it was Omid and Christa in the background, and I'm really hoping that Season 2 involves a 19-year old Clem leading a camp of survivors, strong female character making tough decisions and being able to take care of herself and others, would be one of the best written characters I'd see for years.

Banned
    I think we'll see more of Clem because she was remembering things right up to the end of the game, but I don't think we'll see her as an adult, possibly an early teen at most though more than likely just a year or so older.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    I think we'll see more of Clem because she was remembering things right up to the end of the game, but I don't think we'll see her as an adult, possibly an early teen at most though more than likely just a year or so older.
    I hope she will become the playable character.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firewhisper View Post
    I certainly teared up, and have done so for the last three episodes at certain points. It was a fantastic ending as far as I'm concerned, and looking forward to a season 2 (and Sam & Max season 4!).
    Lee dolling out fatherly survival advice with every last breath had me struggling. I wanted him to get back up as much as Clem.

Do we really need to hide spoilers? Who in their right mind would click on a thread called "Walking Dead: The Aftermath" before finishing the game?

Anyway, on to my choices:

Even though I knew cutting Lee's arm wouldn't save him I was really curious to see how they'd handle it and was not disappointed. In fact, it was done so well halfway through my playthrough I began thinking it might be one of those non choices that happen regardless of what you pick. It is kind of weird how the other characters still just stand around and wait for the one armed half-dead guy to solve their predicaments, but at least they comment on that.

Ben is a really interesting character. Most stories don't use someone like that unless he ends up having a moment of redemption, but Ben managed to fuck up every single time (Even causing Kenny's death in his final moments).

Speaking of Kenny's death, that's my biggest complaint with this episode. It was a really dumb and unnecessary sacrifice given the state Ben was, and we can't even rationalize it as him committing suicide since he raged about the couple and his wife in the previous scene.

Wish they didn't make Clem's kidnapper full on crazy. He was almost becoming likeable and a decent new ward for her, but then he started talking to the severed head in the bag...

The final moments were perfect. The relationship Lee and Clementine built during these 5 episodes is one of the most endearing I've seen in a game, and I got real close to tearing up when she meekly said "but I'm so small..." after Lee said she'd have to leave him. Wish it didn't have that post-credits scene, though, as it would make sense for the game to end when Lee died since he was our sole POV through the game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have. After hearing so many good things about them I wanted to see if the general feeling was if the ending was up to scratch or not.

Glad to see it is, though part of me kind of wished it wasn't to see how that changed the perception of the game. After all with Mass Effect 3, the ending ruined the preceding 30 hours for many people. I'm wondering if that would still happen for an episodic series where people have already been reacting and talking about how awesome it was for 5 months.