Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    My friend played this and cried at the end. What a loser.
    And you didn't?

Kadayi sets up the Voight-Kampff for Duff

'You're in a desert, walking along in the sand, when all of a sudden you look down... '
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    And you didn't?

Kadayi sets up the Voight-Kampff for Duff

'You're in a desert, walking along in the sand, when all of a sudden you look down... '
    I didn't cry okay.

I DIDN'T CRY.

I was blubbing like an idiot.

When Duff originally said "my friend" what he really meant was "I SOBBED LIKE BABBY". I'm not starting episode 5 till wednesday, but I think i'll sob like babby too. I can't see this being anything but sad.
    You, sir, are awesome.

Obscure Node
    I wonder if they'll ever get to the point that our protagonists are people who've grown up in that world.

Quote Originally Posted by Novel View Post
    I wonder if they'll ever get to the point that our protagonists are people who've grown up in that world.
    You mean like having Clementine as the playable character? Thats where I hope it goes. That would be pretty damn sweet.

I suspect it's unlikely tbh. A key part of TWD in a way is challenging this idea of what makes us human, much of which comes down to the notion of civilization, which is ultimately a conceit that we choose to subscribe to. Albeit I'm not a huge fan of the comics per se (I think Kirkman's a bit of a hack writer tbh) a key ingredient of the series is about ordinary people finding themselves challenged by this legacy of civilization when faced with the very real prospect of daily extermination, and attempting as best they can to cling to it as an idea.

The problem with going too far forward in time is that you're effectively heading into 'The Road' Territory where in that whole veneer has just given way to out and out survival, and everything is extremely reductive in nature. All existing food supplies would be long gone (any survivors would have to be farming to feed themselves..even cannibalism will only get you so far), ammunition would be largely used up and the managing of walker herds (in terms of keeping them away) would likely be the key concern.

I think the road is a great book...I'm not entirely sure it would necessarily make for a great game however. Even 'The last of us' despite it's bloody E3 presentation is still a sanitized Apocalypse.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 04-12-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

So, Episode 5

I hid my bite from the group, told them I had to go for Clem alone, and that they should all get the boat sorted.

I don't remember it being explicitly said in my game that Christa was pregnant, but it was hinted that everyone knew.

Ben survived Crawford because my Lee didn't leave anyone behind. Yeah, I took Lily with me.

(on that note, Lily is obviously having a breakdown after her Dad dies in Ep 2. It turns out she's right about the supply theft, but her behaviour is erratic and manic regardless. I didn't see it coming - and I had to pause the game and calm down for a few minutes right after - but it seems plausible to me that someone having that kind of paranoid episode, and who has a gun, would do what she did)

I went to Vernon's hideout alone and chopped my damn arm off. That was some gruesome, fucked up shit. I don't know how many cuts it takes your friends if they come along, but it took Lee far too many. That was not easy gaming, even after Episode 3. Then my PC bluescreened and I reloaded back at the start. I did not chop his arm off again.

Ben was with the group. Ben fell. Kenny died. I wasn't sorry when Ben died, even if I'd saved his life before. His actions killed Carly and Duck and Katjaa and then, ultimately, Kenny. He was a fuckup and I hated him at the end, but he was alive and I kept him alive as long as I could.

I sent Omid and Christa to the train and went on alone. I didn't notice the station wagon.

I strangled that fucking kidnapper with my bare hands, but Clem killed him. I wish she hadn't had to do that. Even if I hadn't taken the food from the station wagon, I'd have killed him anyway. He'd taken Clem from me.

Clem handcuffed me to the radiator, killed the guard, and then I told her to leave. I didn't want her to see me die, and I didn't want her to see me come back. I didn't want Clem to be the one to have to kill me again. She'd done enough.

I wont be playing through Season 1 again, unless I can convince someone else to play through it.
    My Lee is dead, and like my Shepherd, his story is told. To try to retell it would cheapen the emotional experience (I say that even though I was horrified by how poor the original ME3 ending was and even though I replayed the extended cut)

It'll be a crushing, crushing disappointment for me if season 2 drops the quality of writing in any regard. I'm looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by SirDavies View Post
    To be fair, it was quite a great ending. I think if an artistic creation has the power to make a person cry, that's a merit of the cration, not a demerit of the person.
    I was in goddamned floods of tears during episode 3. And 4. And 5 too.

I'd like to say they were manly tears, but I'd be lying. I was properly sobbing as I told Kenny that I'd see to his son. As a father myself... that was tough. That was really, really tough.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    The only way that's going to happen is if someone's giving birth in that time and survives with the baby, and it also depends how long the whole zombie epidemic stays active. If it's only a couple of years the kid won't remember much and it's over by the time he has grown up.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Quote Originally Posted by mpk View Post
    I was in goddamned floods of tears during episode 3. And 4. And 5 too.

I'd like to say they were manly tears, but I'd be lying. I was properly sobbing as I told Kenny that I'd see to his son. As a father myself... that was tough. That was really, really tough.
    Heh don't worry. You could of made a youtube of you losing it during the final part and have a gazillion people watch: -

Poor PewDiePie :(
    Last edited by Kadayi; 05-12-2012 at 12:30 AM.

Probable Replicant

I finished. http://www.jaketucker.com/aftermath-...ead-episode-5/ Pile on and leave your comments! - Basically, I was underwhelmed with episodes 4/5, I felt like Episode 3 took all the emotions I had out of me.
    You, sir, are awesome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I reckon most people have their limits when it comes to the crushing hopelessness of The Walking Dead, they eventually get burnt out and turn away. It's really important to balance things with moments of hope and beauty. The normalcy of the farm, petting the cow, the back and forth between Lee and Clem (did you lick it? the door was unlocked), these few precious moments seem to dissipate around episode 4.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I finished the game last night.

I don't think I'll play it again. I've been reading some of your stories of what happened to get an idea of it, but the game is not a fun game to play. I did not feel happy at all when it was over and I've never had a show, movie, book or game make me that upset before.

Here's how my final few hours played out.

By the time Lee was bitten the usual suspects are dead, so Duck, Katjaa are gone. Larry was killed by Kenny. Doug was killed by Lilly. Lilly stole the RV and drove away, I don't know what happened her. Carley died in the first episode.

I hid my bite from the others, I was desperate to get Clem and wasn't about to waste time with them pestering me over a bite, so I chose to go it alone. I hacked my own arm off hoping it would save me, it was easily the worst scene I've ever played. I thought the scene in the woods cutting that dudes leg off was bad, but this just took the cake.I got it over with as fast as I could.

Ben got Kenny and himself killed. I had a feeling it was him who was supplying the bandits with the drugs, but at the time I was a man of "kill nobody and leave no man behind" (I left the two brothers alive for instance). In retrospect I should have left him to die in the bell tower or at the side of the road. Perhaps Doug would've lasted longer. I'm not entirely sure if Kenny did die though. I didn't hear him scream like I expected after he shot Ben.

I crossed the sign first, I had a feeling it would break. I told those two to meet Clem at a boat. It was a mistake I know, but I was rushing. I didn't want to send them near the train because that seemed to be the direction the walkers came from.

When I saw the station wagon I knew who had taken her. I didn't take any supplies from the strangers car, but he blamed me anyway because "my group" took supplies and as a result his wife and child left him. I tried to ration with him but when I saw the bag I knew he was gone. For a moment I feared it was Clems head in that bag. I had her put a cleaver in his arm and then I choked the life out of him.

In the end I had her put a bullet in Lee. She had already seen her parents as walkers and she couldn't stand the sight or thought of Lee being one, so I felt it was the best for her. It would also prove to her that she could make tough calls and do things that nobody should have to do when needed. It was a life lesson for this horrible brave new world.

One thing that I guessed at, but that was never confirmed until crossing the sign was Christa was pregnant. I guessed it myself out of game in Episode 4 because of her reactions and her vomiting. But at the crossing she mentioned "walking for two now". That was the first time the characters ever spoke of it. It was very strange.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I finished the game last night.

I don't think I'll play it again. I've been reading some of your stories of what happened to get an idea of it, but the game is not a fun game to play. I did not feel happy at all when it was over and I've never had a show, movie, book or game make me that upset before.

One thing that I guessed at, but that was never confirmed until crossing the sign was Christa was pregnant. I guessed it myself out of game in Episode 4 because of her reactions and her vomiting. But at the crossing she mentioned "walking for two now". That was the first time the characters ever spoke of it. It was very strange.

Shhh, it's ok, man. It's over. You'll never have to play again.

There's clues right from when you meet them - Omid's "hey, a kid!" reaction to Clementime (though unfortunately some mistook him for a creepy child molester) and his panicked "she's a woman, don't you know..." comment on the train escape. I put that second one down to pure chivalry until episode 4, when it clicked for me as Christa vomited and a concerned Omid double checked on her. By episode 5 Lee has pretty much figured it out, even if the player hasn't.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Shhh, it's ok, man. It's over. You'll never have to play again.

There's clues right from when you meet them - Omid's "hey, a kid!" reaction to Clementime (though unfortunately some mistook him for a creepy child molester) and his panicked "she's a woman, don't you know..." comment on the train escape. I put that second one down to pure chivalry until episode 4, when it clicked for me as Christa vomited and a concerned Omid double checked on her. By episode 5 Lee has pretty much figured it out, even if the player hasn't.
    I totally hadn't noticed any of that.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I noticed most of it except I pulled her onto the train because he had hurt his leg and by that stage I was getting tired of people being a liability. SO I didn't get to hear him say his line. She gave out to me because of his leg though.
    So who in peoples view was the weakest or lamest character? Not in physical strength or ability of course, but in a "I didn't care for that guy/girl because he was just dull"?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    So who in peoples view was the weakest or lamest character? Not in physical strength or ability of course, but in a "I didn't care for that guy/girl because he was just dull"?

Charles the train hobo, because he was more plot device (to get you to toughen up Clem and to give you another reason to hate Ben) than character.

Also the station wagon guy. He would have been so much more effective without his wife's head in a bag.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I finally got round to playing this a week or so ago (got it in a sale ages back, never played it, finally was driven to by seeing it get 'best game of 2012' votes left and right). Bloody hell, seriously, bloody hell. I'm not ashamed to say that last scene had me tearing up something chronic. Here's how it all played out for me:

In previous acts I saved Doug in the drug store, he looked in worse trouble than Carley and from how he was spoken about, he sounded like the kind of guy worth saving, a bit of a hero in spite of how he looks. Then in spite of my policy up to that point of leaving nobody behind, when Lilly shot Doug by accident I was horrified, she crossed the line, grief or not. I left her on the road to fend for herself.

In Crawford's bell tower I let Ben fall, not through any malice towards him, but the zombies were approaching and he was telling me to let him go. This was his moment of redemption, so I let him go.

I honestly wasn't expecting the events on the rooftops, Christa went down to grab the walkie talkie and ended up attracting the walkers. Then Kenny jumped down and saved her at the cost of his own life, though I suppose it made sense. Kenny had already lost everything, his wife, his son, even his escape route. But damn, I liked that guy.

I went first across the sign, expecting the break, I told Christa and Omid to find me and Clem though. I got a sinking feeling when I saw the hatchback in front of the hotel, I did loot it earlier. Then sure enough, it's the loony who owns the hatchback inside. I had Clem hit him with a bottle, then went to strangle him. Before I could finish the job Clem shot him through the head though, I wished like hell she didn't though, she was the last person I wanted blood on the hands of.

In the final scene I had Clem shoot Lee. This is one murder she had to go through with, she had to be able to make those impossible choices and do what's right. But Christ that whole last scene was heart-wrenching, the realisation that this is finally 'it', when Lee just can't get up anymore.

I don't think I'd play the game again if you paid me to, I know the game is basically linear, but it felt like choice and consequence all the way through. I won't turn TWD into 'just a game', it deserves better than that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    I hope I don't have to play it again... I've uninstalled it since finishing, and I've no idea if it wiped out my save games as well - but given that apparently season 2 will be influenced by season 1, I hope those save games are there somewhere!