Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar

Manually deleting leftovers of TF2?

Played a bit of Team Fortress 2 (offline training) and found it's not something I feel like playing right now, so I uninstalled it to free up some space (with 'delete local content' in Steam), but it's left 873 mb. of files in '\Steam\steamapps\[user]\team fortress 2\'. More than 600mb. of .bik files, for one thing, which seems rather odd. Seems like it mostly only deleted the map files and left everything else, actually.

Does anyone know if manually deleting the 'team fortress 2' directory will screw something up? Mostly worried about Steam itself as hats and achievements (not that I have any) and such are saved on the Steam servers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You should be fine. .bik files are Bink videos - perhaps the map explanation videos? Most of TF2's content isn't stored in the TF2 directory however, but steamapps\user\teamfortressconent.gcf

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    You should be fine. .bik files are Bink videos - perhaps the map explanation videos?
    yes, they seem to be. Odd thing to leave on uninstall.

Most of TF2's content isn't stored in the TF2 directory however, but steamapps\user\teamfortressconent.gcf
    That seems to have been deleted. What is left looks like pretty much all the .dlls, exe files, various configs and all those movies, but none of the game assets or maps.

ETA: Well, I deleted the Team Fortress 2 directory and Steam hasn't complained yet, so maybe it works.
    Last edited by Similar; 10-07-2011 at 05:42 PM.

A related observation: I recently browsed through my Steam-directory (and just checked how large it is, omg, it's 218 Gb of games. Having grown up with floppies & datasettes, this is somehow amazing) and found a lot of old data from long-uninstalled games (mostly demos and such).

How do you people handle this? Just let it grow? Uninstall and re-install Steam every year like it had to be done with Windows XP? Do a spring-cleaning in the directory, manually deleting the left-overs?
    Or is there some kind of tool that checks your game-list and deletes everything not needed anymore?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    How do you people handle this? Just let it grow? Uninstall and re-install Steam every year like it had to be done with Windows XP? Do a spring-cleaning in the directory, manually deleting the left-overs?
    Or is there some kind of tool that checks your game-list and deletes everything not needed anymore?
    i bought new hdd. 1t are so cheap is less expensive to order one than manually care about deleting crap.