Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar

Steam's 2012 Autumnal Sale Discussion - A bountiful harvest of video games

Here are the rules of the Steam sale:
    1. Do not buy a game you want until the last day unless it is on a flash/daily sale where it is unlikely to be further reduced.
    2. Are you actually going to play the game that you bought? Just because it's on sale doesn't mean it's money saved!
    Bonus Autumn sale advice: The Christmas sale, generally the biggest of the year, is a month out. If you see a good deal now, snatch it up, just in case it's not in a future sale. That said, if you do miss, there's still a good chance it'll be in that one.
    Bonus very good tjrp advice:
    "Buy the game if the price matches your idea of it's value AND you're likely to play it"
    If you don't play it, it will ALWAYS be cheaper at some point in the future - always...
    Feel free to discuss the games on sale, gauging opinions from people who have already played and so on and so forth. I'll update this post with any useful links, such as compilations of sales over certain periods etc.

Personal Day 1 recommendations:
    Daily - Darksiders 2 (and DLC) - 66% off. It's a good game, mechanically superior to the first, even if it perhaps has its own flaws and isn't as narratively interesting as the first. Still a good fun action adventure (bring a controller). [Note, DS1 is on sale for 75%. It may be off more, but it's unlikely. Great game, definitely play it before DS2 if you have the choice.]

Flash - Ends in 10 hours from post - Limbo (75% off) is generally well liked, haven't played it myself but hey.
    - // Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 (75% off). KOTOR1 is an excellent RPG set in a great Star Wars universe. Good fun story, get to colour your own lightsabers. Haven't played 2, some say its better, some worse, all agree it's unfinished. Be sure to grab the community made unofficial patch/mod that fixes a load of content.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 22-11-2012 at 01:27 AM.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Yup, the key question for any purchase in this sale is "am I really going to play this in the next month?"

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Darksiders 2 (and DLC)
    This looks like a fair price. If I pick it up, what in the huge list of DLC will I need? The horsemen of the apocalypse definitely need horse armor, no?

Wake me up when one of these goes to 75%:
    Batman games.
    Crusader Kings 2.
    The witcher 2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Er, I already made an autumn thread.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...-is-Inevitable
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Worth nothing that last year, the Autumn Sale actually had some deals the Xmas Sale didn't get - so the rule about 'holding out' is probably not valid.

TBH, the rule we need to actually care about is

"Buy the game if the price matches your idea of it's value AND you're likely to play it"

If you don't play it, it will ALWAYS be cheaper at some point in the future - always...

The amount of games I've bought which I really fancied and were stupidly cheap yet I've never even installed is getting quite embarrasing (it's north of 50 games!!).

Now, our first 'do you or don't you" is Borderlands 2. Only 25% off atm on Steam but 65% off at Simply Games (Steam Code) here

http://www.simplygames.com/info/1971...EY-Download-PC

Will it be a 75%-off sale over the w/e? Will that 10% matter if you want all those guns???

Dishonoured is my other lookout - 25% off atm but it's been under £20 UK retail from several places - most of whom are now out-of-stock and PC titles are often not restocked so...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Is the Spiderman game worth a tenner? I'd like to hear about the swinging mechanics, I wouldn't really care about a bad story or whatever.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by F. Lynx Pardinus View Post
    This looks like a fair price. If I pick it up, what in the huge list of DLC will I need? The horsemen of the apocalypse definitely need horse armor, no?
    You don't NEED any of it tbh...

Only 'Death Rides' changes the main game - by adding sidequests and other bits. Everything else is either 'cosmetic add-on' or 'endgame' stuff...

Beware that the Season Pass isn't a Season Pass either...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Well, I think it's still a good sale for older things that are unlikely to go any lower in the Xmas one as well (such as KOTOR) - but yeah, probably best to avoid recent games now.

And Limbo. Avoid Limbo. It's awful.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Are you actually going to buy the game that you bought?
    of course not. why should i buy the game if i already bought it?

:) but I presume you mean play.

I just threw away 10 bucks on gog for games which I probably will never touch. I play so little these days. and it is not because i have no time.

still haven't touch portal 2 which i got from previous steam sale and i barely put any hours in Fallout New Vegas Complete Edition.

i'll pass. even tough KOTOR games are tempting. anyone else. get terraria. so much fun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    If you don't buy all the games now you will never be able to buy them again. Stock up for the inevitable breakdown of society, when you will finally play the hundred unplayed titles in your steam library.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorzan View Post
    Crusader Kings 2.
    CK2 is 75% off once or twice a month at least. Not always on Steam, but the Amazon version registers on Steam too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    And Limbo. Avoid Limbo. It's awful.
    This. All of this and more of this. Limbo is a massive pile of wank.

I'm waiting until the Christmas sale to buy anything, for two reasons. First, I'm not getting paid until the end of the sale and I've very little left to go spending on games and second, I have enough games to keep me occupied between now and then and I'll actually have free time at Christmas to play my purchases.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Er, I already made an autumn thread.
    Ah. Oops. Sorry! Christmas sale thread duty? Didn't intend to poach. :/

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    You don't NEED any of it tbh...

Only 'Death Rides' changes the main game - by adding sidequests and other bits. Everything else is either 'cosmetic add-on' or 'endgame' stuff...
    I'll back that up. The one DLC I played, Argul's Tomb, was under an hour of content, repeating some of the worst in the base game (you can easily bypass it by not using the items in play and fighting normally) and doesn't really add anything other than a boss fight for which, if you play it when I did, you were completely over-powered for and made short work of. The base game should be fine, especially if you haven't played DS1. I probably recommend DS1 over 2 though, mostly for the story.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Worth nothing that last year, the Autumn Sale actually had some deals the Xmas Sale didn't get - so the rule about 'holding out' is probably not valid.

TBH, the rule we need to actually care about is

Noted. I'll add in the advice/comments above.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    of course not. why should i buy the game if i already bought it?

:) but I presume you mean play.
    Oh who needs the English language anyhow?!