Network Hub

The RPS Social Club, CANADA EH?

Yes, I do realize that simply being "in Canada" does not actually make it easier to get together. Vancouver might as well be London as far as I'm concerned. BUT:

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel
    ... You too can set up an RPS social club in your town; you don’t need to wait for a mythical “they” to set one up for you. ... Why not make a half-arsed attempt at arranging an RPS meet-o-chat in your town? Sometimes, half an arse is all you need. The forum’s only a click away.
    I mean, first, we need a census. Who's up for RPS North America? I can't be the only person from Ontario hanging around here. Or, what else isn't too far away... Americans of the Great Lakes persuasion? There's gotta be a few willing souls within a day's travel.

Then we'd need a location. Now me, I'd vote for Toronto as a decent site. That's a daytrip from anywhere in Ontario, and it's not out of the question for much of the surrounding US states either. But really this is more dependent on our centre of population.

Who's in?

Network Hub
    No takers, eh?

Geez, you guys. I thought you were cool.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    This saddens me. Try changing the title to Great Lakes Edition, maybe you'll get some bites?

Network Hub
    With the Social Club back on the front page - I shall call this to attention again. Who knows, right? I'd commit SO HARD if even a couple other people were interested. I KNOW YOU'RE OUT THERE, fellow Canadians.

Ah, but I'm sure it will sink beneath the waves, to slumber once more 'till the stars are right again for it to be brought to mind, and once more dismissed as the fleeting notion of a madman.

Network Hub
    Bump, because I am a sad, lonely man.

I know there are more than a couple of us on here! I'm in Toronto, and would not be entirely averse to some sort of thing. Maybe. For this sort of thing it's a shame our country is so spread out, though.
    I take photos of space and talk about it sometimes: http://ofspaceandthings.tumblr.com Also, I am making a game for which there is a development log: http://elegythegame.tumblr.com/

I'm a UKer, but moved to Windsor, ON a few months ago. Sadly I'm finding it hard to play with the ARPS guys like I used to religiously.

Also. Seriously Canada? Your internet is THAT shit? And I have to PAY for this bad internet. They should be paying me for using their outdated awful "service".

Network Hub
    Come spend some time in the US! We'll show you how little quality you can get for an outrageous monthly fee.

Internet "service" in Canada is the reason I still prefer to get my games on disc, what with the tiny monthly data caps and the ridiculous overage charges.

EDIT:

Besides your internet experiences, how has the move treated you so far ShowMeTheMonkey?
    Last edited by Splynter; 06-06-2013 at 08:40 PM.
    I take photos of space and talk about it sometimes: http://ofspaceandthings.tumblr.com Also, I am making a game for which there is a development log: http://elegythegame.tumblr.com/

Network Hub
    We might have shit internet compared to most developed countries, but compared to the US we don't look bad (that comparison holds for a lot of things, actually).

I figured if there were many Canadians there'd perforce be quite a few from in or around the GTA. Statistically speaking that's pretty inevitable, given that it's a third of our country.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Prolar Bear's Avatar
    Hullo, I'm an Italian looking to move to Canada (namely Toronto) in some months. My girlfriend is Canadian, so I've heard about the bandwidth caps - but is the internet really shitty? After all I'd move from Italy, which doesn't exactly have the best internet around.
    Oh and people around here and ShowMeTheMonkey: dyou think moving is easy or hard? Did you like poutine? How's the moving experience, in terms of bureaucracy, of finding jobs (if you had to)? Thanks a bunch, folks!

Obscure Node
    Are you still around cjlr? I'm in Toronto, around the Eglinton West area. Give me a poke on steam if you'd like to chat or whatever.

My profile:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/andinthegame

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    From Toronto, but not in the country atm.

Will be glad to be a part of the RPS Canada Club though :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prolar Bear View Post
    Hullo, I'm an Italian looking to move to Canada (namely Toronto) in some months. My girlfriend is Canadian, so I've heard about the bandwidth caps - but is the internet really shitty? After all I'd move from Italy, which doesn't exactly have the best internet around.
    It can be expensive. You can get a cap anywhere from 25 GB to 250 GB a month or more.

But there are plenty of unlimited options too, and they aren't even that much more expensive. And I'm not convinced any other country is so much better in this regard (when you come to Canada, you must learn how to complain about everything, especially the weather, that is our standard). In US I have unlimited per month at 25 mbit download for $60 a month. Not a bad price, but not like it's a great price either. Same kind of stuff you will see in Canada (for internet alone).

For internet alone there are options like Teksavvy and other re-distributors of access that basically rent/buy lines from the Big 3 telcos in Canada, best if you just want internet. Big 3 are Telus, Rogers, Bell (I have Bell in Toronto, pretty good service, not too expensive but definitely not cheap either).

If you want phone/tv/internet you can get good prices from Bell or Rogers or something, but IMO avoid Rogers like the plague (they aren't nicknamed Robbers without reason).

Though really you can yell at them when contract time comes around and threaten to switch and see if you can get a deal from anyone tbh.
    Last edited by rockman29; 06-08-2014 at 12:11 AM.

Obscure Node
    We actually just switched our net service from Teksavvy to Rogers. Not because we were unhappy with Teksavvy, but when we moved into the current apartment ~3yrs ago, we were told we we be able to keep the 24/8 DSL connection we had. It turned out that the wiring in the house itself (which is a rental so we can't do much about it) is so crappy and old that the fibre to the door can't really be used and we were limited to 10/0.8. We'd never had cable before and hadn't really thought about it, but we were getting really fed up with the speed and constant disconnections (I appreciate that is as likely Bell's fault as Teksavvy's and don't blame TS).

We recently asked our neighbours what they use and they said they had cable from Rogers that worked fine, so we started looking at options. We ended up going for their 150/15 w/350GB/mo cap hybrid cable option. So far I'm really blown away by the speed. It actually registered just over 200Mbps on one speed test. I can stream at 2Kbps to twitch no problem at all and steam will download about 1GB in 1m10s. That's for 84$CAN/mo which is about twice what we were paying for the old connection. Wewere also fortunate enough to have no problems at all with the installation.

--also let me know when you're back in TO. I haven't met many people in-person from online since I came to canada (~11yrs ago) I think mostly because of the distances, but when I lived in the UK I used to do it all the time and had some great experiences and met life-long friends. (hope that doesn't sound too forward/creepy!) If you'd like to email me or text-chat in google hangouts, you can find me via a/delicate/balance/@/gmail/./com (remove the slashes, natch).

I play a ton of different things. Almost exclusively on PC though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Prolar Bear's Avatar
    Well, thanks for the internet company tips, people. Sadly I still haven't moved to ole Canada - I either need a job or a letter of admission from a university or college and am in the process of trawling through all the tuition fees pages I can find.