Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node

Lost my bookmarks, friggin all of them.

I had made a backup .json of my thousands of bookmarks a fortnight ago, before uninistalling Forefox. Today, I decided that Firefox was the better browser after all, and while trying to restore those backups I ended up overwriting the file with my bookmarks for Chrome. Is there any way to retrieve them? I looked around on Google, and most people recommend getting backups from your profile folder in AppData, I didn't find the original file in there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Nothing in the Firefox\Profiles\[xxx.default]\bookmarkbackups\ folder either?
    It looks like mine has a daily backup in there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If you're overwritten the actual same file - same name and location - then there's no realistic chance of recovering that file, so unless there's another copy somewhere, you're screwed.

If the file was deleted at some point (even if it's gone from the Recycle Bin), there's a longshot that an HDD recovery program could get the file back for you.

There are a few to chose from - some offer limited 'free' recovery - most will at least tell you what they can find 'for free'. They may, for example, find your old Firefox profile directory...

At this point I have to ask why you're not

a - using an online bookmarking solution like XMarks?
    b - using a proper backup utility like Dropbox/SugarSync/Crashplan??
    c - sticking with Chrome as it's quicker/slicker than Firefox by a country mile???

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Nothing in the Firefox\Profiles\[xxx.default]\bookmarkbackups\ folder either?
    It looks like mine has a daily backup in there.
    Here's the thing: The file wasn't there, but I managed to recover it using Recuva. The problem is that the Firefox gives 'Unable to process the backup file'. Someone please tell me there's hope.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    c - sticking with Chrome as it's quicker/slicker than Firefox by a country mile???
    a,b ...It never crossed my mind, honestly. As for c, that's the reason why I made that backup in the first place, but I never got around to actually trying Chrome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Here's the thing: The file wasn't there, but I managed to recover it using Recuva. The problem is that the Firefox gives 'Unable to process the backup file'. Someone please tell me there's hope.
    hmm. Might be corrupted? If you open it in a text editor, you should be able to see if some of it has turned into garbage (the format looks relatively straight forward, so if there's suddenly all sorts of odd characters, something is wrong).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Is there a way to fix or salvage something from it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, a bookmarks file should just be a text file rammed with URLs so even if it's partly corrupt or just not in a format FF can read, you should be able to make some sense of it.

Try opening the file in notepad (or a proper editor if you have one installed)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Also - let Recuva check for the whole profile folder - the 'backups' are taken when you ask but the actual bookmarks should be stored in a plain HTML file in there too!?!?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Also - let Recuva check for the whole profile folder - the 'backups' are taken when you ask but the actual bookmarks should be stored in a plain HTML file in there too!?!?
    Since I had replaced my own backup, I had been trying to retrieve the ones that the software makes by itself. Anyway, they're back! Doing the deep search in Recuva showed up a whole bunch of undamaged files that the normal scan had missed. Lesson learnt, I'm uploading the files to a cloud and my gmail account. Thanks for the help.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    At this point I have to ask why you're not

Because it's not.

If you're on Windows Vista/7/etc and had Shadow Volume Copy enabled, then you can probably restore a backup of the deleted files (Restore Previous Versions).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Because it's not.

The big issue, for me, is startup time - where Chrome is head, shoulders, arse and elbow ahead of Firefox (Chrome is near-instant on this PC - Firefox takes 20-25 seconds to start).

It's also slicker when it comes to running addons - I have a stack of addons in Chrome and it makes no obvious difference to startup-time or in-browsing performance wheras the same addons in Firefox not only take eons to startup but actively slow the thing down (to the extent I was disabling most of them just to use Firefox at all).

Chrome is a big resource waster tho - every addon consumes a tonne of memory and can consume CPU as well but when you have loads of memory and cores, that doesn't really matter.

Chrome is also more secure - the way it 'sandboxes' Flash and other stuff means it crashes less often - it's a better tool for development and debugging IMO

Believe me, I've used both on various systems extensively - as a user and a developer - and I'd take Chrome every single time. I would, however, keep Firefox for the odd site which Chrome doesn't work well with - which includes, ironically, Google's own Developer Site for Android!! :)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Chrome is also more secure - the way it 'sandboxes' Flash and other stuff means it crashes less often - it's a better tool for development and debugging IMO
    Firefox sandboxes all plugins in the Plugin Container.
    "Swans are so big, they're like the Ostriches of the bird world"

The big issue, for me, is startup time - where Chrome is head, shoulders, arse and elbow ahead of Firefox (Chrome is near-instant on this PC - Firefox takes 20-25 seconds to start).
    Firefox starts up slightly faster than Chrome in Windows 7. In Windows 8, it is, well, head, shoulders, arse and elbow ahead of Chrome in that department.

Not to give the impression that Firefox is better across the board, but in these specific areas it's definitely better than Chrome.
    It's just a testament to how fast things move in the browser wars. Look at the huge gains for IE between Win 7 and Win 8 - which includes stepping up from IE 9 to IE 10.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Every time I launch fire fox a game or app has installed a toolbar in stealth. Chrome checks if I want this crap installed or not, generally speaking opera, chrome and firefox are all "alright", my favourite browser is opera mini, security concerns aside it turns mobiles that I'd shoot if they were horses into competent systems.

I just want to have a competitive browser market so they are forced to get better.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Firefox starts up slightly faster than Chrome in Windows 7. In Windows 8, it is, well, head, shoulders, arse and elbow ahead of Chrome in that department.

As I said before - on this system, with broadly the same plugins, Firefox takes so long to start that I can make coffee - Chrome is near-instant.

I think Chrome's approach to 'silent' upgrades and loading plugins after launch is it's advantage there - that and the fact that webkit is simply a better renderer for most webpages (and almost anything HTML5 or CSS3)

The fact I develop for mobile platforms locks me into Chrome anyway (as webkit is the browser on both mobile platforms worth caring about) but I'd stick with Chrome even without that link - it just feels more modern and slicker than Firefox.

I used Firefox for years - I still use it for some stuff (some things debug better in Firebug on Mozilla) but it feels like a cranky old product for the most part. It's become a bit bloated and a bit sloppy in terms of fixing problems.

Not everything in life is covered in benchmarks y'see :)

If it's going to be about gut feeling that's alright, just don't claim it's clearly better in something benchmarkable when the benchmarks disagree with you.

Taking so long to start that you can make coffee sounds like a bug. Bugs, especially with plugins/addons, happen to all browsers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If it's going to be about gut feeling that's alright, just don't claim it's clearly better in something benchmarkable when the benchmarks disagree with you.

Taking so long to start that you can make coffee sounds like a bug. Bugs, especially with plugins/addons, happen to all browsers.
    The 'benchmark' isn't some holy "always right" thing - it's one result on one system and will in no way pan-out to every system. In most cases, in fact, benchmarks are 100% useless because of that - they often aren't even 'like for like' comparisons - and people compare apples and oranges too.

I said earlier that I reckon a lot of the slowdown is addon-related - and updates (as I don't use Firefox as much, it's likely to be updating on startup most of the time0 - but I use the same (or highly similar in purpose) addons in Chrome without the issue.

For reference - I uninstall and reinstall browsers quite often because, as a developer, things tend to get a bit screwed-up otherwise - and I keep retrying Firefox but it remains slower than Chrome both in startup and general use.

For me...

So you're saying your uncontrolled and unverified experience, including all kinds of addons probably screwing things up, is more reliable than a benchmark by Tom's Hardware who do that stuff for a living?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So you're saying your uncontrolled and unverified experience, including all kinds of addons probably screwing things up, is more reliable than a benchmark by Tom's Hardware who do that stuff for a living?
    For me - yes - that's why >I< use Chrome - >I< find it quicker and slicker (I know I'm not alone but I make no claim to speak for anyone else).

Firefox has all the hallmarks of a nerd-led project which has gotten a bit far away from reality tho - it's consistently gotten slower and larger and generally 'grumpier' - it used to feel like a sharp and light bit of kit - now Chrome feels like that

To me...