Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar

Health in the News

Just saw this cool article and was gonna PM it, but I thought... why not share with everyone :D

Gut feeling: How intestinal bacteria may influence our moods
    Researchers beginning to understand link between gut bacteria and mental health

There is also a cool heat map of people's bodies based on their moods, maybe I'll find it again later :)

One in three Alzheimer's cases preventable, says research

A lot of common risk factors for heart disease on there.

Alzheimer's research in 'major step' towards blood test

Currently it is *clinically* diagnosed empirically in a patient interview combined with a metric called the "Mini Mental Status Examination." The only absolute final confirmation can be made after death, right now. Medical therapy is extremely limited unfortunately.

HIV re-emerges in 'cured' Mississippi girl

This one is interesting on two fronts... one in what the title reads. Two in that there are people with blood and marrow resistant to HIV due to random mutation. It has been mentioned before of the two or three people reported completely cured of HIV, but most people haven't heard of it I think.

Healthy gay men urged to take HIV drugs - WHO

How dead are dead people? Probably the weirdest article of health related ones in a while: The ultimate comeback: Bringing the dead back to life

Malaria parasite 'gets down to the bone'

And lastly for now, a big question: Will today's children die earlier than their parents?

I like reading the titles alone sometimes, it makes me feel like I'm playing SimCity :P
    Last edited by rockman29; 14-07-2014 at 06:08 PM.

Network Hub
    Thanks!

Gut bacteria thing is interesting-- color me skeptical for now. Gut flora are kind of the sexy thing right now. Shouldn't be hard to test in people, let's get some replication. (Link between GI distress and some mental health disorders long recognized, although the causality's always been assumed to go the other way. Always interesting to see directions of causality challenged.)

Would love to see the Alzheimer's risk factors paper. Article suggests an intervention, but I don't think any occurred? (Just as an aside: all of these big databases make me worry about the future of this kind of research.)

Hadn't heard of Lazarus phenomena previously. And I always find the obesity stuff fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    How dead are dead people? Probably the weirdest article of health related ones in a while: The ultimate comeback: Bringing the dead back to life
    wow, crazy. thx

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Network Hub
    "Is the Daily Mail the single biggest killer of health-related threads?"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    In the scope of what is taught, a lot of that is actually very important information, just presented in a very crude way :P

For example, chronic acid reflux may transform into a condition called Barrett's oesophagus, which carries a 1%/year rate of transformation into adenocarcinoma of the esophagus.

The primary method to battle it is not surgery, but to use preventative care to fight it. And antacids are definite in reducing risk of development of Barrett's and adenocarcinoma of the esophagus.

Like that relationship, many of the links are actually incredibly important information that would be great for the public to be aware of, only the actually really important health information is also side-by-side and hidden under the wall of text that also includes some things that just aren't nearly as valuable.

Example is aspirin and cancer risk, it has so much conflicting and probably useless data because it's probably the most readily available medication and is so widely used. But that again just kind of covers up the more definite research with aspirin on other topics where it is very valuable.