Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Best Videogame Ever Made

The videogames in this thread are the games that shatter the perceived limitations of the medium and excel as milestones in the halls of human culture. These are the games that exceed the pinnacles of game design.
    This community is comprised of some of the most professional and hardcore game-players on the planet; and these are the videogames they say you absolutely must play. The games that truly deserve your time.

These are your favorite games: those that say something about who you are.

These, are the Best Videogames Ever Made.

Think about it a bit, and share what you consider to be the pinnacle of the art-form: the crown in your collection.
    Feel free to discuss your decision process and those last couple games that you pick from, but ultimately..

You get only 1.

Super Metroid

It's also a great way for us to get to know each other.

Ok, go..

Additional games mentioned so far:

Metal Gear Solid 3
    Deus Ex
    The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    Overgrowth
    ICO
    Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
    Gothic
    Planescape: Torment
    Civilization
    Dark Souls
    Jedi Knight
    Quake
    Balder's Gate 2
    Little Big Adventure 2
    Fallout 3
    Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War
    Mechwarrior 2
    Original Ghost Recon
    Delta Force: Black Hawk Down
    Powerstone 2
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1989)
    Battlefield 1942
    Hidden and Dangerous 2
    Thief: The Dark Project

If any of ^these would be your #1 pick too, then share why..
    Last edited by cardinaldirection; 20-09-2014 at 03:54 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar

It says so on the box! :P

That and MGS3 for me :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Err.. If I could to only submit one, and nobody had a veto? It would highly depend on context. Is this a list for knowledgeable readers or newbies.

Assuming it's a message for future humans looking back at us? I'd be split between 3 very different titles for very different reasons. I can't give just one in good faith.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

For me, for personal reasons, it's Deus Ex.
    But obviously it's highly subjective and there are a lot of stuff I'd recommend.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I actually think Metroid Fusion is a better Metroid game then Super Metroid and has a better atmosphere but thats just me.

Favourite Game ever has to be Legend Of Zelda Majoras Mask, probably the only game that has ever made me feel genuine emotions all the way through and made me think about a lot of stuff. Its a very sad and tragic game and the side quests(well the game is the side quests) are probably the best short stories I've seen in a game.

One of my favs ever.
    Last edited by Wenz; 29-06-2014 at 08:41 AM.
    post in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I actually think Metroid Fusion is a better Metroid game then Super Metroid and has a better atmosphere but thats just me.

Favourite Game ever has to be Legend Of Zelda Majoras Mask, probably the only game that has ever made me feel genuine emotions all the way through and made me think about a lot of stuff. Its a very sad and tragic game and the side quests(well the game is the side quests) are probably the best short stories I've seen in a game.
    I agree. Fusion was just great.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

@rockman: 1.

@Heliocentric: edited OP with additional clarity.

@Xercies & QuantaCat: Ok, replaying Fusion is now next on my list. =D
    Followed by Majora's Mask.

@Wenz: bad link?

@QuantaCat: what do you think is the Best game Ever made, is it Fusion?
    Last edited by cardinaldirection; 28-06-2014 at 05:50 PM.

I dont have a best game ever. I have games I play a lot, I have games I replay sometimes, games Im emotionally connected to, and all of that.

But I dont have a Teh bestest evar game. I just liked Fusion a lot because I could just pick up and play whenever, on my GBA second gen.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Sorry... the FF VII pic was more a joke, but I love that game.

But it's hard for me to pick between two great MGS2/3 videos :P

I also have a bunch of games that I consider to be extremely good, and some that I play much more often than others. I've probably put more hours into Heroes of Might and Magic III than any other game; but I consider Super Metroid to be a much better designed game. The point of the thread is to think about it a bit, and share what you consider to be the pinnacle of the art-form. No matter, I'm off to play Fusion, thanks.
    Last edited by cardinaldirection; 28-06-2014 at 06:30 PM.

At least I picked one unlike others :P

Fine... I will truncate some stuff... I'll pick MGS3.

Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    Fine... I will truncate some stuff... I'll pick MGS3.
    Nice. I thought the first one was pretty darn good, so I will definitely add 3 to my list. Thanks. You think it will play ok on a Vita?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    "Best"? I wouldn't have a clue.

My favourite, that defined me as a person, that says something about who I am, blah blah blah...? Um. Probably ICO? I find it nearly impossible to pick between that and Shadow of the Colossus, mind. But let's say ICO. Pretty sure it's the one game out of my rough top ten which I could happily show to non-gaming people without the fear of dying of shame/frustration.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    If we are preaching to the choir, I'd say Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, I mean I could just wait for daft punk to post.

It's 3 games, which might be cheating. A thoughtful and gleeful coop with blitzes of action, a strategic and intense versus multiplayer with incredible attention to detail. And a smooth and elegant single player with a cynical storyline.

All 3 are beautifully crafted and nearly unmatched in their genre.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 28-06-2014 at 07:00 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cardinaldirection View Post
    Nice. I thought the first one was pretty darn good, so I will definitely add 3 to my list. Thanks. You think it will play ok on a Vita?
    It's fantastic on Vita, but I recommend the HD Collection on PS3 if you have one as well. I have it on both because I'm a MGS nut :)

It runs at native 960x544 resolution, so it looks very sharp on Vita. Texture wise essentially on par with HD collection. Alpha particle effects run at lower resolution though. Framerate is excellent, maintains a solid 30 always. Touchscreen functions for changing weapons.

Content is feature complete, except for some features (Snake vs. Monkey and Boss "Duel Mode") that is only available in Subsistence on PS2. The HD collection *does* however include the MSX versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2.

It is an excellent version, surprising that a portable actually does offer a 1:1 experience, some screens for evidence of the Vita version, platinum'd on both Vita/PS3 :)

It's a Tsuchinoko! (what's a Tsuchinoko... I don't know....)

Some more here --> http://curryking3.imgur.com/all/

There is also cross-saving for the PS3 version, forgot to mention that, same with trophies since the first patch after the Vita one came out. Reinstalled the CMA for Vita just to post those, so I hope it helps :P
    Last edited by rockman29; 28-06-2014 at 08:24 PM.

Network Hub
    That's such a hard question; tech advances so quickly.

For instance: I think Galaga is one of the greatest games ever created. What they did with that tiny smidgen of memory back in the day is nothing short of phenomenal.

But how does it compare to Baldur's Gate? How can it?

My answer as a hard-core gamer would be Gothic. A monumental journey that criss-crosses a violent prison camp, Gothic was only accessible to hard core gamers anyway due to it's awkward control scheme (and often brutal difficulty). Beating Gothic for the first time with no outside help is to this day my most rewarding moment as a gamer. Gothic 2 picks up marvelously where the original leaves off.

If you've never played Gothic and are dying for a tremendous PC-only RPG it might fit the bill. You probably only need apply if you started gaming before 2005. Modern gamers don't seem to be able to get past the aged (but nice) graphics and controls.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    The best game ever made *for me* was Planescape: Torment.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    The videogames in this thread are the games that shatter the perceived limitations of the medium and excel as milestones in the halls of human culture. These are the games that exceed the pinnacles of game design.

These are your favorite games: those that define who you are.

These, are the Best Videogames Ever Made.

Think about it a bit, and share what you consider to be the pinnacle of the art-form.
    See, these are a whole bunch of conflicting criteria. My favourite games didn't shatter any perceived limitations or exceed the pinnacles of game design and the games I've played that were truly innovative I probably wouldn't rank among the best games ever.

This is the community of the most professional and hardcore game-players on the planet; and these are the videogames they say you absolutely must play. The games that truly deserve your time.
    *cringe*

Still, if I can make up my own rules I'll also name Super Metroid, because it's the closest I've come to feeling a game was perfect. It's not my favourite game, not the one I've had the most fun with and not one I feel any urge to replay, but at the time it stood out to me as being extremely well crafted and entirely successful at what it set out to do.

Its hard because the longer the time span is the more quality arises. welp I got mine.
    post in progress