Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

I know we have a few Zelda fans on here. Anyone else playing this currently? I can't believe how good it is. It's easily the best Zelda since Twilight Princess in my book. My two biggest concerns, the item rental system, and the silliness of the 2D mechanic were completely unfounded. Item rental really doesn't effect the game in any way, and the 2D mechanic is actually really well done, and allows for some great puzzles. I'm several hours in, and so far I can't name a single fault with the game.

The thing that excites me about it the most is how they did away with the stylus controls, and went back to a traditional control scheme. It gives me hope that they might not force motion controls on us with the upcoming Wii U Zelda. That's about the only thing that will get me to buy a Wii U.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    I beat it in a weekend, and I agree with everything you said. Fantastic game and the best Zelda I've played in years. All the reviewers seemed pissed that it reused the Link to the Past map and so gave mixed reviews, but if you haven't played LttP a million times it won't bother you.

Also, this was the first 3DS game where the 3D effect felt necessary. The game looks pretty crummy in 2D, but it pops in 3D.

I hope they return to the rental idea in a future title, because it was a huge shot in the arm for the franchise.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think it does so many great things with the somewhat familiar world from LttP. I love how if you bother to go to an important location from LttP, just to see what's there, you are almost always rewarded for stopping by. Like the heart container that's where the bush covering the tunnel into the castle was. Anyone who faults the game for using the same map is just crazy.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I can't say I've seen any negative reviews. Some less happy than others, but overall I wouldn't be surprised if it snagged a few eleventh hour GOTY awards. I'm waiting on picking it up; my birthday is soon and if it doesn't happen to be bought for me, I'll be gifting it to myself. Link to the Past is one of my all-time favourite games, my first foray into the Zelda universe and was just a mesmerising experience. From one of the best openings in any video game (who could forget the entire stretch from leaving your house to escaping to Sanctuary, with the storm and then the gallant Hyrule Castle theme blaring at you for a daring rescue) it really captured a sense of an epic adventure.

Sufficed to say, I'm pretty excited about getting my mits on it.

For what it's worth, I recently completed Phantom Hourglass. I actually started it mid last year but the controls immediately put me off. Started it back up a few months back and really got into it. I think it did some fun/interesting things, but obviously wasn't as complex as what I was hoping for. If Nintendo actually got around to having a unified account system so that online purchased games were tied to my account and not hardware, I'd drop a load on getting some of the classic 2D titles I've not yet played, especially where they would seem like such a good fit on the 3DS.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    If Nintendo actually got around to having a unified account system so that online purchased games were tied to my account and not hardware, I'd drop a load on getting some of the classic 2D titles I've not yet played, especially where they would seem like such a good fit on the 3DS.
    Nintendo is so backwards about this. If you don't mind buying something inexpensive that will be tied forever to one 3DS, I highly recommend the Game Boy Color Zeldas (Link's Awakening DX and the Oracle Games). Still my favorites.

I definitely want to pick them up. As it goes, Ninty are unifying Wii U and 3DS funds into one account, so...we're getting there, painfully slowly.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Phantom Hourglass was a good game, but the main temple totally killed any replay value the game might have had. By the time you finish the game, you have gone through the same parts of the temple a dozen times. I started a second play through of it, and immediately lost interest as soon as I got back to the temple. That was actually the first Zelda I ever traded in, because I knew I would never want to play it again. I traded in Spirit Tracks too. That was an awful, awful game. The worst game I ever played to completion. And I only stuck it out because it was a Zelda game. If you took that same game and removed the Zelda namesake from it, and it was just called Train Quest or something, there isn't a single reviewer who would've given it more than a 5/10.

I think you just missed the Zelda sale on the 3DS eshop. They had all the old titles, even the NES ones, for something like $3 each.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Does it have that abysmal "touch screen to move your character" mechanics? It killed many DS games for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Nope, that's what's so great about it. It uses the stick and face buttons. I'm not sure if you can use the D-pad, as I've not tried it. The only thing I've had to use the stylus for was for placing pins on the map for things I want to come back to with the appropriate item. That doesn't work well with just my fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Does it have that abysmal "touch screen to move your character" mechanics? It killed many DS games for me.
    No, you use the analog stick. It feels a little loose compared to how Link usually controls (in both 2D and 3D) but once you get used to it he zips around like never before. It's invigorating.

@db1331:

The d-pad is used to move the camera slightly. I used this one time when I met the guy who explains it. Not very useful, and I think it would have been better as a quick switch for items.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ah, that's right. I have used it to move the camera. The stick has been perfect for me though. Never had any problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    Ah, that's right. I have used it to move the camera. The stick has been perfect for me though. Never had any problem with it.
    I never had a problem either, it just feels different from other Zeldas and after so many years that stands out.

Probably getting a 2DS for Christmas, and really looking forward to this now. I also really want to play Ocarina of Time, which I've kind of played on the N64, but mainly watched being played.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

My real question is, how does it compare to Links' Awakening, the greatest Zelda of them all?
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    No that would be Majora's Mask I have you find

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Greatest Zelda would Zelda: Four Swords on the gamecube with four GBA SPs + four people willing to sit through the entire thing with you. Its a glorious game when you can gather a full contingent of players.

Minish Cap remains my favourite Zelda on the handheld machines however. It has a sense of fun and charm that many games fail to appreciate. It doesn't have the same sense of epic adventure that many other Zelda games do but Capcom go all out in creating their own little take on Link's universe. And the way it combines influences from LttP, Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time works greatly in its favour. The key feature of normal vs. miniature sized Link is also excellently used in both gameplay and exploration aspects.

I'm going to have to get a Wii U at some point just for Wind Waker HD. I adore that game and the idea of savouring it in HD makes my joy sensors tingle.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They did give away Four Swords to 3DS users for awhile. Not sure if it is still available to purchase.

Oracle of Seasons/Ages was also co-developed by Capcom.

Monolith Soft co-developed Between Worlds, Skyward Sword along with Pikmin 3, Animal Crossing:New Leaf, and other games.

Look what got announced;

Honestly, I don't know why Nintendo have never launched PC ports of their major franchises.
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

So I saw a load of hype for that earlier and...that's...it? Putting aside the graphics because it's clearly not finished and the style is okay, the game-play just looked a bit plain. That said, I did like how they worked in his abilities, but considering the brain dead AI it didn't look very satisfying.

As for why they don't get ported to the PC, for the same reason they don't get ported anywhere else; they work as hard as possible to ensure the quality on the one platform is the best it can be. I'd put good money on the fact that in terms of relative performance, Nintendo exclusives will perform and look the best out of the three consoles. Also, if Nintendo's games were released on any other platform, there'd barely be any point to getting their console.