What is this rock I found in my back garden?

Found this in my back garden in North West Leicestershire. I think it might be obsidian, looking at images of rocks online. I'm pretty close to Bradgate Park which has some of the oldest precambrian rocks in England. The area would have seen volcanic activity more than 600 million years ago and would have scattered rocks like this far and wide over Leicester.

This isn't the first time this sort of rock has been found in my garden but this is certainly the biggest found to date. Strangely we've never thought to actually discover what they are before. Although to be honest the last time we found a rock like this was before the internet came into being so we only had books from the library to help out!

It is smooth, black and shiny. It has obviously been subjected to an incredible amount of heat producing an almost glass-like structure with bubbles.

The underside is pretty strange, a grey rough side with bits of brown that could be iron as it is slightly attracted to a magnet.

For scale.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    It's an original Xbox controller without the cable(wireless prototype?).
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Well, okay. But I'm not on Reddit which is why I posted here...in the Other Stuff forum...you know, for other stuff not to do with gaming.

looks to me like it could be a flint rock. Try to take a knife and strike it against the stone, if sparks fly then you have a piece of flint

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Veranen View Post
    looks to me like it could be a flint rock. Try to take a knife and strike it against the stone, if sparks fly then you have a piece of flint
    If the rock starts bleeding and screaming then it was an [EXPUNGED] and the best thing you can do is wrap it in raw steak, sow the steak up and feed it to a chained up dog and kill it with a full length scythe before the dog can transform.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Veranen View Post
    yeah, looks rather flinty to me too.

Is flint rare in the UK? (I vaguely remember something about it being much more common in Scandinavia, but I'm not sure if that's correct).

Not flint or obsidian, it's slag or more specifically slag glass. It's a by-product of steel making which makes sense as the house I live in was built right on top of where a seventeenth century blacksmith's used to be. Found a horse shoe and hip bone years ago.