Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Bit of a side note to the manly talk of ale but has anyone else noticed the rise of Crabbie's this year. I'm not sure whether I started drinking it before or after the marketing push started but it seems to be everywhere at the moment. Not that that's a bad thing, alcoholic ginger beer is a fine thing indeed.

Also I'll give DOOOOMBAAAR another thumbs up, it's been on the guest tap in one of my regular watering holes once or twice recently and it's indeed rather drinkable.

Oh and while I'm not a massive fan of much of Wychwood's stuff they do have to get a mention for one of their tastier ales, the somewhat inappropriately named Dirty Tackle.

Mostly tea

Mit milch?

When to London once, most of the beers sold there are baaad :(

When you're accustomed to German and Belgian beer, there is no coming back.

Hey, talking about it, i see you talking about Ale, Beer, Lager, and all sorts of different words, since i'm french and in French all kinds of beers are called "bière", i don't get the difference
    Last edited by Darkath; 04-06-2011 at 11:27 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Another vote for Bath Ales over here. I'm not a big beer drinker but Gem is lovely.
    Regarding Crabbie's - it's ok, but Fentimans do a much nicer one called John Hollows. More gingery, less sweet. It tastes more like what you would get if you just mixed ginger beer and actual beer together. Delicious.

Although obviously, being British, tea is a must. I've got five different teas in my cupboard at the moment, but this summery weather makes it uncomfortable to drink hot beverages!

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkath View Post
    Hey, talking about it, i see you talking about Ale, Beer, Lager, and all sorts of different words, since i'm french and in French all kinds of beers are called "bière", i don't get the difference
    Hmmm, I'm no kind of expert. I think there are slightly different brewing processes, but they are all just types of beer;

Ale: tend to be slightly more bitter, flavoursome and less fizzy.
    Lager: tend to be milder, fizzier and paler. Served cold. This category covers Belgian and German beers I think.
    Stouts or Porters. tend to be dark coloured, strong tasting, heavy beers like Guinness.

The Jonathan beer decision process:

1) Whatever tasty-looking real ales the pub has.
    2) Caledonian 80 if the pub doesn't satisfy (1).
    3) Guinness if the pub doesn't have that.
    4) Whiskey or find a different pub.

My favourite pub is probably the Church Inn in Saddleworth/Oldham. It has a microbrewery and there's always something delicious to try. It's also at the top of a hill and just about in the countryside, so it feels extra rewarding to sit down with a pint up there.
    Last edited by Jams O'Donnell; 05-06-2011 at 01:09 PM.

Obscure Node
    http://www.corona.com/home/index.jsp

With lime of course.

Standard.

I dont drink any beer. Luckily I am in Wales which is near to the West of England with plenty of cider usually available when I take trips to Bristol.

Other than that it is usually strongbow, often with blackcurrent.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbecile View Post
    Hmmm, I'm no kind of expert. I think there are slightly different brewing processes, but they are all just types of beer;

Ale: tend to be slightly more bitter, flavoursome and less fizzy.
    Lager: tend to be milder, fizzier and paler. Served cold. This category covers Belgian and German beers I think.
    Stouts or Porters. tend to be dark coloured, strong tasting, heavy beers like Guinness.
    Okay thanks, in france the way we differentiate our beers is mostly about the color so we say blond beer, red beer, brown beer, black beer, white beer....

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Imbecile View Post
    I'm really not any kind of spelling nazi, but that was an awesome typo :)
    No wonder my throat has been so rough! :P

Seriously though, I've gotta stop typing while half-asleep....

Personally, I drink Stella at the local, but if I'm in a pub I if there's a beer I haven't tried, I'll generally have that and see what its like, as long as its cold and has a good head !

Quote Originally Posted by frenz0rz View Post
    Oh man I love Doombar. Alas, in my three years of university I found only one pub in all of Reading that served it, and it was bloody expensive. Now I'm back home, however, I'm lucky enough to have it at one of my local pubs for under £3 a pint, which is pretty reasonable around these parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by laneford View Post
    Best thread ever on RPS?

Anyway, much love for all the Bath Ales stuff (The pub that they own in Bath, the Salamander I think it's called? Is excellent) from me also.

DOOOOOOOOOM Bar seems to be everywhere these days.

[/URL]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post

Also I'll give DOOOOMBAAAR another thumbs up, it's been on the guest tap in one of my regular watering holes once or twice recently and it's indeed rather drinkable.
    I'm rather lucky in that I live in Cornwall, home of Sharps brewery! Also of note is Sharps Special, which is much like Doom only stronger. Lots of lovely local ales here, and one of the best CAMRA pubs just down the road. Huge selection of different ales every week.

Abit off topic, but i'm sure one of you will gladly share some advice.

Your favorite pub(s) in London? Not looking for any nightclub advice, just above average pubs.

If I'm buying anything from a shop to drink at home or at a mates then it's almost always Bud, but if I'm in a pub then it's an assortment of ales. Usually ones I haven't tried before

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Joseph, I firmly believe that more people should have avatars as wonderful as yours. Stickman astride a sausage roll? Brilliant!

And I thought I'd never get to type those words.

This thread makes me sad that there isn't a pub within walking distance of where I live that I'd actually want to go into.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

I tried Brewdog's Punk IPA and it was very nice indeed. Hail to the beer thread!
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

I just cant say no to a good old wife beater (stella)