Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
    Network Hub
    A new off-licence opened dangerously nearby in Manchester, which has led to a collection of new beers. They lack a proper website but it's the Beermoth in the city centre. The two guys running it sure know their beer and I've already spent far too much there. Highlights so far are:

Cuvée van de Keizer Blauw
    The bottle says Gouden Carolus Blauw, the website says something else, I don't really know. I've not had a beer quite like this before. The nearest are probably abbey ales but this is far better. It's very close to wine in most regards and it's absolutely fantastic.

Alaskan Smoked Porter
    One part porter, three parts smoke. Smoked beers are a bit hit and miss for me but this is my favourite. Seriously smokey, with some more smoke piled on top. Apparently it ages very well but I don't know how I'd ever keep it that long.

Porters by Nogne O and To Ol (lacking the crazy characters) were both excellent. The latter is probably slightly better but I'd happily drink a few of both.

Off to Munro's for an on-the-way-home swifty tonight. I'll be indulging in a pint of this I reckon:
    http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/magic-r...onball/145151/
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawHands View Post
    The good news is BrewDog have it in the bar! The bad news is, of course, how much it costs. Still, delicious stuff.
    Just a guest beer? I forget how long they keep those. That bar looks quality Ian!

Munro's was excellent and I was disappointed that we had to leave. Though given I immediately fell in love with Cannonball that might be for the best given it's 7.4%.

What I saw of the food looked tidy too. Definitely be making some return visits.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

I've had to keep off the booze for a while due to my meds. But I've had a few pints tonight*, and feel ok, so of to the York Tap I go next week. Will regale the tales of the ales as and when.

* Barnsley Gold, York Terrier and Wainwrights x 2

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Just a guest beer? I forget how long they keep those. That bar looks quality Ian!
    Some bottles in the fridge. Not very many, but I doubt it'll sell quickly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    The Camden Town: Ink is very nice, visited the brewery at the weekend. Also London Fields Brewery is pretty dang good.

I tried two beers from this Welsh brewery at the weekend.
    http://www.celtexperience.com/craftbeer/

I had the Scrum Pox and Bleddyn and both were very nice indeed.

I also had a "rhubarb saison" by Ilkley brewery which was fantastic.

Obscure Node
    I don't really like the beer but when I have some party with my friends in clubs. I some time order for lannister beer its casterly rocks premium beer with the large pack of soda. But most of the time I keep away my self from beer because it's not souitable for my body weight.

Last edited by Carver; 15-01-2014 at 07:52 AM.
    Have a wonderful day!

Having tried some beers by The Kernel (bottled via the excellent Hippo Beers) I'm really rather keen to try some on tap.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Having tried some beers by The Kernel (bottled via the excellent Hippo Beers) I'm really rather keen to try some on tap.
    I've loved everything I've tried by The Kernel so far. I think my favourites at the moment are their Export Stout and Imperial Brown but it's a close call. Sadly, I can't find it on tap anywhere nearby. The bottles are more than good enough for now though.

Magic Rock are also doing some great beers at the moment. Again, I'd probably go for their Dark Arts stout but I'd happily drink most of them. Their beers are certainly easier to find on tap around here at least.

Tart of Darkness was relentlessly sour to the end and absolutely brilliant. Definitely one to drink slowly and well worth it if you like sour beers at all. I've also got a big bottle of Brooklyn Black Ops waiting, which I'm particularly looking forward to. Their black chocolate stout is always good and this should be even better, it's just waiting for the right occasion.

Apparently since making an account on RateBeer about a year ago to help me keep track of what I like I've rated 180 beers. That's 180 different beers I've tried in that time. :|

Network Hub
    For me I really like Timmermans Strawberry Ale and a strange affection for Chang lager, although only on a really nice day :)

My partner is the beer drinker in the house tbh, he likes pretty much most UK beers; recently he found a Raisin one he's in love with and he likes the odd bottle of "Tribute" as it reminds him of proposing to me last year in Cornwall :P

Generally when I'm shopping I pick him beers based on the names being funny :D

We're really lucky that we live near an awesome bar called Hops which is a CAMRA registered bar :)

I've had Tribute in bottles. It's very nice. Went into a pub up here one day, saw they had it on and eagerly ordered a pint only to be told it'd just finished.

Finally got to try Batemans' Mocha on tap. It was worth the wait.

Also, having now spent more time there and eaten in Munro's I can recommend it to residents of/visitors to Glasgow.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Cool: I was a bit hesitant when the first beer on their list was Tennent's...

I was a bit disappointed to see the number of people in there who appeared to be ordering the stuff at first but then I'd bought my mate a Schiehallion (or maybe the Munro's own lager, I forget which) and it came in a Tennent's glass so at least some of those people may actually have been ordering something nice.

Their selection has been good each time I've gone in with there being three guests each for crafts and casks. And Schiehallion and St. Mungo's are both ace regulars to have on though they've now stuck St. Mungo's at the end of the bar out of the way as it was selling too well for the small amount of profit it makes them compared to the casks and crafts.

Last night I had a bottle of The Kernel's "Imperial Brown Stout."

Goodness me, it was outstanding.
    Last edited by Ian; 15-05-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawHands View Post
    I was at a bottle tasting at BrewDog Glasgow the other week (met the guys from Hippo Beers, as it happens) and got to try AleSmith's Speedway Stout, which I'm pretty sure is the best beer I've ever had.
    I know this was from a while ago, I've just stumbled on your post. I'm pretty sure I was at this tasting as well. I was sitting at the table with the guys from Hippo Beers. Was just wondering if you were at that table as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Last night I had a bottle of The Kernel's "Imperial Brown Stout."

Godness me, it was outstanding.
    It's a really nice beer. And in keeping with the thread, I'm a great fan of The Kernel in general, along with Magic Rock, Alesmith, Mikkeller, Evil Twin, Stone, Cromarty, Tempest, Green Flash, Sierra Nevada and Flying Dog. Some locals others not so local.

So many others as well.