Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    This is only very short notice but it's for tomorrow in Glasgow so somebody might be interested and able to make it.
    http://www.sainsburysbeerhunt.co.uk/glasgow/

Not sure I know anybody who'd be able to make it/be interesting in going on such short notice and it'd be a bit of a trek for me on my own given it'd then involve going to another pub after the half hour session to make the journey worthwhile.

Had I know about it earlier I'd have been all over it.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Damn shame I didn't see this yesterday. I didn't have any plans.

Stella Artois!

Last time I was in England the server told me that most British people were moving from their traditional Bitter Ales onto easier drinking lagers. Oddly enough he then recommended Stella Atois to us (could have just been making a sale). I remember thinking I didn't travel to England to drink Stella, but I was 16 at the time so I was also kinda stoked to not be getting ID'd. Personally I'm a big fan Of Newcastle Brown Ale and anything from the Guiness family except the cider, which I had a bad experience with and can no longer drink. For the kids out there, Strongbow is not meant to be shotgunned twice in a row, don't do that to yourself.

Obscure Node
    My (ex-)local beer is Butcombe. But now I live in France, so it's hard to find good ales on tap (not impossible, but most pubs are fake Irish bars that have Guinness and Kilkenny).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by InOrbit View Post
    Last time I was in England the server told me that most British people were moving from their traditional Bitter Ales onto easier drinking lagers. Oddly enough he then recommended Stella Atois to us (could have just been making a sale). I remember thinking I didn't travel to England to drink Stella, but I was 16 at the time so I was also kinda stoked to not be getting ID'd. Personally I'm a big fan Of Newcastle Brown Ale and anything from the Guiness family except the cider, which I had a bad experience with and can no longer drink. For the kids out there, Strongbow is not meant to be shotgunned twice in a row, don't do that to yourself.
    It's quite sad, but yeah lager's much easier to drink quickly than ale. They don't even drink good lager, either! I relish my trips to the continent to get away from the same 6 brands that every pub has.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

If you like lager but don't fancy a pint of Scruttocks Ol' Dirigible Bitter try some of the fine craft IPA's coming out in kegs.
    Punk IPA and Jaipur IPA spring to mind. They're "reassuringly expensive" but fine, fine beers.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorltonwheelie View Post
    If you like lager but don't fancy a pint of Scruttocks Ol' Dirigible Bitter try some of the fine craft IPA's coming out in kegs.
    Punk IPA and Jaipur IPA spring to mind. They're "reassuringly expensive" but fine, fine beers.
    Really? I mean, I like a good IPA but Punk was really disappointing to me.

There is a new bottle shop in Glasgow.
    https://twitter.com/ValhallasGoat

Discovered it by chance when going for a pint at Inn Deep. It's excellent and as well as a number of rarer, more expensive ones there are some very reasonable ones too. Including anything by Williams Bros which were 1.70 I think as they own the shop.

At Inn Deep I had a pint of Thornbridge Halcyon which was very expensive but delicious.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Nice find, Ian!

On a somewhat-related note, is anyone (else) going to the BrewDog AGM on the 22nd?

Quote Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
    No. Not really. I made it all up. #justjoshingmatey

I can see if you like a traditional cask IPA then Punk, Thornbridges and a some of the American efforts might be baffling but I'll stick by what I said.

On their own terms they come with bags of depth and flavour. I can't account for everybody's individual taste but when I've introduced foodies and wine buffs to them the reaction has always been good. Last time Jay Rayner (Observer's acerbic food critic) was up in Manc he had a pint at Brewdogs newish poseur-gaff and declared his taste buds well and truly tickled ("beer to bring a tear to a hard mans eye" was more or less what he said).
    I'd give it, or similar, a second chance if I were you....maybe remortgage your house and try four or five?

Moving on. Tonight I am mostly drinking Dunham Massey Porter. Worth checking out their web site to see how to use sex to move your product. That's Lurch at the back isn't it?

Went to the Jodrell Bank Transmission to see New Order the other day.

Among many other civilised things I didn't expect to find were a fine selection of real ales on draught at all the bars.
    "Dark Side of the Moon", "Rocket to ..,erm something.." and Iron Maiden's (I know, I know...their beers better than the rawk) "Trooper" plus loads of other local brews that wouldn't be out of place at an ale fest.

Way better than the usual plastic bottle of absolute piss for a fiver.
    More of this sort of thing!

(Great day by the way; clicky here.... http://photos.jodrellbanklive.co.uk/005/ )

Quote Originally Posted by Chorltonwheelie View Post
    Went to the Jodrell Bank Transmission to see New Order the other day.

(Great day by the way; clicky here.... http://photos.jodrellbanklive.co.uk/005/ )

Hoy Shit Bernard Sumner looks old! And that makes me feel old... but seriously, long time since i've seen him and the passing of time is writ large on his wrinkly face and white hair.

It's G&T weather, clearly.
    I'm a Bombay Sapphire, loads of ice, lemon and lime sliced man meself.......in a pint pot!

For my drinking at the Bloodstock festival!!

Now that's pretty swish.

Obscure Node
    If there's something on tap by Thornbridge, I'll usually give it a go.

Agreed, however, their Hardcore IPA is much nicer.

A thread about the British and beer can not be allowed to slip off the end!

This week I am mostly drinking Zywiec from Poland.
    It's 4.50 for four in BargainBooze.
    BargainBooze is Mark E. Smith's favourite shop.
    I have heard tell that Zywiec produce a dark porter. I am currently hunting it down.

Being out of work and thus on an economy drive I've hardly had a decent beer in weeks. :(