Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node

British people! What beer do you drink?

I am curious what brands/types of beer the average people in Britain drink. Say you go to the pub or one of these magical RPS Social Clubs, what are you ordering?

Banned
    Alamo i tell you what

I am also interested in this, as an American beer-lover. (Not American-beer lover: Budweiser, Coors, etc) Always looking for new brews to sample.

Obscure Node
    When I can get hold of it (ie a few local pubs & shops) then T.E.A (Traditional English Ale) from the Hogsback Brewery here: http://www.hogsback.co.uk/our-beers/

It is mild and light, not too bitter or strong and I like to support small 'Real Ale' (aka microbrewery in US-speak) beers.

Elsewhere I will normally ask if the pub has got any real ales, preferably something local I haven't seen before.

Have a look at the Campaign for Real Ale website for more info about the situation in the UK http://www.camra.org.uk/
    Last edited by TeeJay; 03-06-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Around these parts
    this http://www.bathales.com/ales/gem.html
    and this http://bristolbeerfactory.co.uk/
    and this http://www.butcombe.com/beers/beers.shtml

all wonderful. From what Americans would call microbreweries or what I'd just call the local beer.

This bein the West Country mind, mostly I drinks cider.

Always fond of a pale ale, Hoegaarden would be my first choice. It's not British but hey ho. I'm only a stones throw from these guys and their beer festival is generally awesome, some of that shit is like treacle. Right now though I have in my hand some of that poncy Stella Cidre. It's quite refreshing and comparable to Woodpecker, which was always my drink of choice in my wasted youth.

Well, my favourite tipples come from the following breweries:

Local:
    York Brewery
    Cropton Brewery
    Black Sheep Brewery

From other parts of UK:
    Badger Ales
    Thwaites
    Black Isle Brewery

There are so many microbreweries around, you're spoilt for choice at decent pubs/shops. Not much about the UK makes me proud, but the beer does!
    Last edited by Gerbick; 03-06-2011 at 09:58 PM. Reason: link FAIL!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    All of it! *badoom-tish*

I don't often drink these days, but when I do I usually drink something by Brew Dog, whose main claim to fame is an escalating cold war with a German outfit for the title of strongest beer in the world.

Activated Node
    Copper Dragon is my local beer and my favourite. I'm afraid I don't think it's available much outside the town which is a shame. The brewery also has a fantastic gastropub attached to it which does some excellent food as well. If that's not available then Black Sheep is probably the best second choice. Can't really be doing with beer that's not brewed in Yorkshire, apparently.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by EndelNurk View Post
    Copper Dragon is my local beer and my favourite. I'm afraid I don't think it's available much outside the town which is a shame. The brewery also has a fantastic gastropub attached to it which does some excellent food as well. If that's not available then Black Sheep is probably the best second choice. Can't really be doing with beer that's not brewed in Yorkshire, apparently.
    Thinking we're the same town mate!

For me, it would have to be Hoegaarden when it is on tap! Can't get enough of the stuff. After that I would be fairly easy going as to what my tipple of choice would be, it all depends on the mood o'the day.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    All sorts really.

In terms of genric stuff available pretty much anywhere I favour Guinness, Peroni and Desperados. If I'm feeling particularly extravagent I do enjoy a Leffe. If I'm drinking just to get absolutely smashed I'll lower myself to Becks and Fosters. I will never drink Tennants, Carling, Carlsberg or Miller unless I'm already absolutely steaming and probably only then if they are free or there is no other choice.

However I much prefer to have a nice ale, whether it's a guest ale at a pub or something from one of the established breweries which you can get at the supermarket. Badger are a particular favourite of mine and other breweries that spring to mind are Theakstones, Brakspears, Bellhaven, Brew Dog, Arran, Fullers, Black Sheep, White Horse, Everads and Harvest. In terms of what I like I'm generally a fan of golden, blonde or pale ales but I do like something a bit darker on occasion. About the only thing that turns me off is if something tastes too hoppy. I'm also not a massive fan of bitters as I tend to find they taste a bit bland.

As much as it galls me to say it as a Scotsman I feel that England is marginally superior in terms of choice and quality of ale. I lived in Loughborough for a year and am currently in Oxford and both have had excellent selections. Don't get me wrong Scotland is good (and well represented in my above list of breweries) but England is just that little bit better.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Hoegaarden is lovely. I miss it. It's annoyingly difficult to find anything but German and Czech beer in Germany. They're tasty and cheap, but not varied.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    If I'm feeling particularly extravagent I do enjoy a Leffe.
    You've reminded me that I'm a big fan of many belgian ales as well. There are a few local pubs (that perhaps RwCC will also be aware of) that have excellent selections.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    As much as it galls me to say it as a Scotsman I feel that England is marginally superior in terms of choice and quality of ale. I lived in Loughborough for a year and am currently in Oxford and both have had excellent selections. Don't get me wrong Scotland is good (and well represented in my above list of breweries) but England is just that little bit better.
    I've only had one Scottish ale. It was from a brewery called Stewart's in Edinburgh, I think. I was very impressed as I hadn't expected too much to be honest.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    My problem with Hoegaarden is that there's one variety of it that I like and another that makes me feel somewhat nauseous (not the instant "I want to be sick" reflex of tequilla but still not pleasant) and I can never remember which one is which.

All of this feedback is being compiled into a mighty list. I've got some searching and shopping to do. For the sake of fairness, and rather than only take, here's a little bit of give with 3 American breweries with some outstanding beers. I know all of these are available around Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and surrounding bits on the east coast.

Rogue Ales in Oregon: These guys have some ridiculously tasty brews and love to experiment. The hazelnut brown nectar might be my favorite beer of all time. Love these guys too, as they give incredible details on their beers (for those that care to know).

Weyerbacher Brewing Company in Pennsylvania: The double simcoe IPA is an amazing beer if you're a hop lover. For the stout folk, the Old Heathen gets better and better as it warms. Incredibly complex tastes from these guys.

Stone Brewing Company in California: The Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale will get you drunk, and you will thank him for it.

Cheers!

Another hand in the air for Badger, that's some quality stuff.

I'm also quite a big fan of Hobgoblin and the other Wychwood tipples. Good stuff indeed.

I drink Tennants when I'm in the pub as it's usually the cheapest beer in Glasgow.

I am poor.

I have pretty broad tastes myself. Anything from a good lager to a nice dark ale is lovely.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by EndelNurk View Post
    You've reminded me that I'm a big fan of many belgian ales as well. There are a few local pubs (that perhaps RwCC will also be aware of) that have excellent selections.
    I would imagine I could! I won't name them publicly, but one of my favourites only does proper lager / cider / beer, no "popular" pub-scene nonsense which makes it slightly expensive - but you pay for quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Auspex View Post
    I drink Tennants when I'm in the pub as it's usually the cheapest beer in Glasgow.

I am poor.
    Nothing wrong with Tennants friend; once you get past all the chemicals!

A couple of other tipples of choice for me would be:
    Budvar
    Spitfire
    Bass
    Anything by Cains (I think this is only served in Liverpool, not seen it elsewhere)

I prefer Bavarian white beer (Weissbier) whenever I can get it (usually that means Erdinger from my local Sainsbury's). But the best beer has to be Franziskaner, which actually tastes of bananas! ... and is sadly hard to come by in the UK.