Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    My favourite ale is called DOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Ok, it's called Doombar..

But when you order it you cry "A pint of DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM please.

Aside from that, a large variety of real ales.

I am a bit of an ale geek.

Newcastle Brown Ale. You end up lifting the sheets in the morning with your farts. Well my missus does at least.

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Hoegaarden is lovely. I miss it. It's annoyingly difficult to find anything but German and Czech beer in Germany. They're tasty and cheap, but not varied.
    But German beer is absolutely great! Chech beer is mostly weak, even though Budweisser is kinda cool, but German... Hell, I remember once I was sitting in Berlin drinking this one Weissenstephaner, or something like that it had 'white' in the name and I felt as if I was drinkin' from the table of the God of Beer Square Square Triangle Square.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RwCC View Post
    Nothing wrong with Tennants friend; once you get past all the chemicals!
    So little wrong with it that Bier Hof in Glasgow calls it "Republic Ale" in the (successful) hope that in your ignorance you wll try this fantastically cheap lager only to be somewhat disappointed when you sit down and realise "oh it's Tennants." At least it's better than Carling, but that's really not saying much!

London-based beerhounds should be aware of the Euston Tap, which features a splendid array of ales, bitters, stouts and lagers from many different places.

Personally, I have of late mostly been drinking products from my local Camden Brewery. Top stuff.

Network Hub
    I used to be a Harvey's Sussex man, but I find my self very far from Sussex and it's Lewes brewery of late.

I am but a young waif who has only turned 18, so I tend to enjoy a pint of Becks. At the RPS Social, I was drinking Fosters and several varieties of colourful shots. One such variety was Creme De Menthes with Baileys. Yum.

I'll normally see what ales a pub's got on, next priority would be some sort of interesting European lager, last port of call is something like Kronenbourg or Staropramen, though I'll sometimes have one of them if I'm parched and want to guzzle something cool quickly.

Dunno what my favourite draught ale is, I like Tiger and Bombardier. Schiehallion's a good one. At the Paisley beer festival I've got stuck into some of the Kelburn ones a few times too, really like them.

Man, a beer festival-based RPS get-together would be awesome.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Depending on the establishment, I'll usually take a bottle of Hobgoblin (if they have it). If not, its usually some other form of Ale.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel J View Post
    Around these parts
    this http://www.bathales.com/ales/gem.html
    and this http://bristolbeerfactory.co.uk/
    and this http://www.butcombe.com/beers/beers.shtml

all wonderful. From what Americans would call microbreweries or what I'd just call the local beer.

This bein the West Country mind, mostly I drinks cider.
    Yeah, I'm a Bath Ales drinker too. Great stuff, though I'll drink lager (Kronenburg/Stella/Whatever) in a pinch. Oh and Fursty Ferret is very nice too.

http://www.hall-woodhouse.co.uk/beer...rstyferret.asp
    Last edited by Imbecile; 04-06-2011 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbecile View Post
    Oh and Fursty Ferret is very nice too.
    Sure is. And Hobgoblin gets a vote from me too. Especially as it was on draught at my wedding venue a few years back. Lovely!

This thread has reminded me that I've not had a decent pint for several weeks. Rum and wine have got in the way!

Williams Brothers (from Alloa, about 5 miles from my house as the crow flies). I especially like their "Seven Giraffes".

Brew Dog's Trashy Blonde... am not a big fan of the rest of their beers, but I like the occasional Trashy Blonde.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale... Not British. American. But still quite nice.

If I'm out drinking, I'll tend to drink Guinness, normal, regular Guinness. By the pint. Not the Extra Cold nonsense, but that seems to be the only stuff that's sold in a lot of places these days.

Are the Brewdog ones good then? I've always been a bit put off by the branding and ended up trying different stuff.

If they're good I should stop being such a plank and just buy some. :-P
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Obscure Node
    Liefemann (ALways spell it wrong), Hobgoblin, Bombardier, Harvey's and Hoegaarden are my usual weapons of choice. For nights out when as a poor student, I must buy shitty bears, I go for Kronenberg.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    I just hope nobody drinks Newcastle. For anything else, Stella, Paulaner and Kwak are bosses.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Selesnya View Post
    For nights out when as a poor student, I must buy shitty bears...
    I'm really not any kind of spelling nazi, but that was an awesome typo :)

Quote Originally Posted by DainIronfoot View Post
    My favourite ale is called DOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Ok, it's called Doombar..

But when you order it you cry "A pint of DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM please.

Aside from that, a large variety of real ales.

I am a bit of an ale geek.
    Oh man I love Doombar. Alas, in my three years of university I found only one pub in all of Reading that served it, and it was bloody expensive. Now I'm back home, however, I'm lucky enough to have it at one of my local pubs for under 3 a pint, which is pretty reasonable around these parts.

Its good to hear mention of Bombardier as well, I recently saw it going for 1 a bottle in Morrisons. Not sure if thats country-wide though, or even if it's still going.

By the way, are there any other Old Empire fans in the house?
    Last edited by frenz0rz; 04-06-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Best thread ever on RPS?

Anyway, much love for all the Bath Ales stuff (The pub that they own in Bath, the Salamander I think it's called? Is excellent) from me also.

Ian; the Brewdog stuff is quite good in my humble opinion, if you ignore the showier beers the IPA, for example, is lovely and tasty.

Being from South West london myself, my local is usually Fullers stuff, London Pride et al. But I look for anything interesting and new. DOOOOOOOOOM Bar seems to be everywhere these days. Quite like Meantime's stuff, their porter is delicious.

Edit; pakoito; I have a Kwak glass someone bought me as a gift, it's awesome. I hope you always use the correct receptacle for your beverage.