Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Can't wait 'til December when Bah Humbug goes back on sale.

http://www.wychwood.co.uk/hobgoblin/...oblin/beers/14 (stupid flash linking - red banner at the bottom select december)

Love Seasonal Ales but hate the fact they're Seasonal.

Going to be going to one of these:
    https://www.itison.com/Glasgow/deals...latter-save-65

My brother-in-law got one for two people for his birthday so we're going to go at the start of next month. Should be fun.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Going to be going to one of these:
    AWESOME BEER SESSION

My brother-in-law got one for two people for his birthday so we're going to go at the start of next month. Should be fun.
    Mate! Colour me severely jealous. Will have to persuade new scottish friend to take me up to Glasgow co-incidentally when one of those is on.

Activated Node
    Bluebird Bitter, but I've never seen it anywhere out of then locale. Windermere Ale (I think it's called, I rarely see it outside own branch of a supermarket) is alright.

As those pesky Yorkshire people have mentioned, Black Sheep is very good (and more widely available). I do love a pint of it.

I am partial to an Asahi. *blush*

Guinness is my "safe drink" (if nothing else is available, Guinness MUST be). Better than Tennets by far (yuck! Soooo cheap though).

Funny thing with Tennents. At uni our student union was utter balls and I already knew I wasn't keen on the other lagers they had on tap (Stella and Bud, I think) so I tried Tennents. It too is crap but I'd got used to it.

Recently went for a beer in the airport while waiting for my mum and dad to arrive and had a Tennents as there was no other beer on offer aside from much-less-than-a-pint-but-just-as-expensive bottles. When they called and said they were coming through the the arrivals bit I went to neck the second half/last third of my pint. Clearly out of practice of drinking Tennents, my gag reflex was sternly tested. :P

In hindsight I really ought to have made the effort to get into Guinness. I can drink it but I've never been bothered enough to go out of my way for it.

Quote Originally Posted by laneford View Post
    Mate! Colour me severely jealous. Will have to persuade new scottish friend to take me up to Glasgow co-incidentally when one of those is on.
    Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it having recently tried some of theirs (thanks to this thread!) I just hope the bit where they talk about the beer is neither too dry and boring or too "US HERE AT BREWDOG ARE WELL ZANY!" I'd hope neither given their whole remit seems to be taking ale seriously without being dull and old-fashioned about it.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

It's Brewdog day!

And beforehand we're going into a pub called "The Three Judges", which claims to have 9 real ales on offer.

The beer tasting was excellent, though it might have got me a bit drunk.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tams80 View Post
    Guinness is my "safe drink" (if nothing else is available, Guinness MUST be) ...
    I was given a 6 pack of Guinness for my birthday this year. It was in bottles and at room temperature so I knew they really cared. Still, after reading this thread I kinda feel ripped off. I need to prolong my next layover and actually stop to drink some next trip 'cross the pond.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    The beer tasting was excellent, though it might have got me a bit drunk.
    Would you reccomend the bar too? (Is going up to Glasgow in December)

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westyfield View Post
    No exporting :(
    Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    I just cant say no to a good old wife beater (stella)
    Funny fact: Went to a fancy beer bar in NYC, and one of their boasts was having wifebeater on tap. (For exorbitant prices too.)

Guinness tip: Kavanaghs in Glasnevin Cemetery. No shit, the best in Dublin.

Oh mine's a Smithwicks. Cheers.

Activated Node
    I kind of like Tennets only for the fact I can get drunk on it for under a tenner. Well just over now that the union has raised its prices. ¬.¬

As for Stella being considered 'fine ale'. Uneducated cretins.

Quote Originally Posted by westyfield View Post
    Thanks. ¬.¬ Now I have to try that. My Christmas Day won;t feel complete without it.

My favourite beer of all time is Station Porter by the Wickwar brewery. http://www.wickwarbrewing.co.uk/inde...chk=1&Itemid=2 I do so like porter and that is the finest one I've tried. Bankers Draft and Cotswold Way also by the Wickwar brewery are also quite good.

Also have enjoyed lots and lots of ales from various microbreweries up and down the length and breadth of the country. Where ever I go in the UK I always try and sample the local ales.

A local favourite of mine from here in Gloucester is the Cats Whiskers from the Whittingtons Brewery. http://www.three-choirs-shop.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=86

The Wye Valley brews seem to be the most popular around here though, Butty Bach being a popular one. http://www.wyevalleybrewery.co.uk/

Hereford Brewery also do some nice ones, with Gamekeepers Bitter being a favourite of mine. http://www.herefordbrewery.co.uk/beers.htm

Unlike others on here I have to confess to being not too keen on the Bath Ales though I'm afraid, just can't seem to get on with any of their beers.

Elsewhere, when I was down in Devon recently there seemed to be a local brewery in every other town, too many good beers too numerous to mention but Topsail by Bays was one of my favourite pints. http://baysbrewery.co.uk/ I came back home with about 12 different beers from various local small brewerys I'd found in a small local supermarket.

Timothy Taylor "Landlord" is another great beer, deserves a mention. http://www.timothytaylor.co.uk/OurPr..._Landlord.aspx

Also when I was up in Cumbria a few years back doing the Hardrians Wall walk I always remember the Geltsdale beers being very nice indeed. Shame there doesn't seem to be any way of ordering a few bottles online. http://www.geltsdalebrewery.com/gelt...ry_ourbeer.php

Also being from the West Country, cider is obviously also a popular drink around these parts. The best one in my opinion being Westons Vintage, but Stowford Press being a popular pint down the pub. http://www.westons-cider.co.uk/Shop/...ge-~~12x500ml/ Other favourite of mine are Scrumpy Jack and Thatchers Gold. Tried some South African stuff a few weeks back, Savanna, it was bloody horrible.
    Last edited by Chaz; 15-11-2011 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    The Wye Valley brews seem to be the most popular around here though, Butty Bach being a popular one. http://www.wyevalleybrewery.co.uk/
    Nice pint, I tried that for the first time this weekend at a gorgeous 15th century pub the Cottage of Content at the top of the Wye Valley.
    Ended up on a long and late session drinking that and Hobsons Best from Shropshire, also a great beer.

Activated Node
    I always just like to walk into a pub and order any ale I've never seen before. The explosion in microbreweries + copious numbers of pubs in London mean I'm nowhere near exhausting my choices.

It's too hard to find cider on pump though. That beats everything.
    saos.posterous.com for knowledge

I'm Irish rather than British, but it looks like I'm not the first to post on this thread.

I drink Guinness, occasionally Smithwicks, in "normal" pubs. Macardles is another mass-produced ale, a bit like Smithwicks, which can be nice. I like the Porterhouse plain (porter), but recently I tried Dark Arts, which I really liked and is probably my new favourite. I also like O'Hara's Red, which is brewed in Carlow. I quite like Staropramen, which would be my usual to keep in the fridge at home (budget allowing - it's one of the pricier here). Sam Adams is a not-bad American ale.

Other than that, I had Cooper's Sparkling Ale (Australian) once and liked it. Schlenkerla Rauchbier (Bamberg) is worth trying, although definitely not to everyone's taste. Pen Lon is a Welsh company and I really liked their stuff while across the water - unfortunately haven't seen it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pertusaria View Post
    Macardles is another mass-produced ale, a bit like Smithwicks, which can be nice.
    I've only ever seen Macardles in Mulligan's on Poolbeg Street. Where else can you get it?

Activated Node
    I'm not British, but I'll join in anyway.

I usually start with an IPA, as I enjoy the bitter taste of hops. I recently tried the Rated XxX from Amager Bryghus, with 30 different types of hops, and while I did enjoy it plenty, it might be a bit overkill.

Then I usually follow it up by a beer I've never tasted. Last time it was God Jul by Nøgne Ø, which is a delicious christmas ale.

I then end the evening with a Rochefort Trappistes 10 which is a lovely Belgian Quadrupel.

Quote Originally Posted by arienette View Post

It's too hard to find cider on pump though. That beats everything.
    Where abouts are you based, London? Where I am most pubs at least have Strongbow on tap, some will have Stowford Press or Thatchers Gold. I suppose it helps that the West Country is just across the border though. I'd have thought Cider was pretty easy to come across in London.