Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Had some Tom Crean's a while ago. Real nice, very dry and I do like me my dry lagers (any recommendations, much appreciated)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    having read the thread, I dunno if I wanna admit to some of the stuff that I drink, lol!

But, as a student, most of my friends aren't earning and thus don't go to pubs with good beer. So yea, I'll drink Carling (with lime, mind, so I can stomach it), Fosters, etc... when I go to student pubs, because we're there to get drunk, not enjoy what we're drinking, and spirits do do go well with me if they're not gin, which means tonic, which is expensive.

If I am drinking to enjoy it, however... The standard that seems to be in most pubs in Leicester is Staropramen. I prefer Starobrno, but I've not been able to find that in Britain. There's a pub I used to go to that served Žatec, but it shut down and I can't find that any more either. My absolute favourite is Ottakringer Helles, but it tastes so much better at source that I rarely drink it unless I'm in Vienna because it just brings memories of better beer for the most part.

I can pick up tinnies of Tyskie for real low cheap from the local Polish shops, which is where I go for my beer at home.

As for ale... I only drink at one pub, at the village next to the one I was raised in. Nobby's Guilsborough Gold, brewed there. Cannot beat an ale from source. Occasionally I'll order a keg with some mates and we'll make a weekend out of it. Good times.

Activated Node
    Black Sheep is wonderful. It does make me quickly feel full though.

Crabbies is one of the few fizzy alcohol drinks I can stomach. Kopparberg being the other.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Didn't read the whole thread, sorry.
    But the best/my favourite british breweries are:
    Marble Breweries (Manchester)
    Dark Star (Sussex)
    Redemption (London)
    Camden Town (London)
    Brew Dog (Aberdeen somewhere I think)
    Thwaites (Lancaster)
    Thornbridge (Derbyshire)

You also get some great US microbrews, german and belgian beers. Czech lagers are great.... after that most other beer is pretty poor I think. Ok there are some nice Dutch ones.

Thornbridge IPA "Jaipur" is a lovely beer,and a good introduction to the American style hoppier IPAs.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by irishperil View Post
    Why cheap international calling cards?

We are well established company and have been in business since 2004. We have large and constantly growing number of happy customers! We offer the best choice of International Calling Cards and Finest quality services. Once you become our client you won't want to leave us!
    *We offer lowest Rates combined with Best Quality of calls
    *Rich Web Interface
    *24/7 Customer Support
    *Widest choice of Prepaid International Calling Cards
    *Start saving on your calls with us now!
    Uh, no.

/report

Well hacked off. Paisley beer fest next month and nobody I know is available to go. >:(

If it weren't such a trek for a few pints I'd go on my own.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Doom Bar. Discovered it recently and my god is that a fine ale.

Dunno if this is everywhere but the Tesco near my work has excellent offers on beer at the moment. Both ales and other stuff.

Enjoyed a nice big bottle of Leffe last night. Lovely.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanybabeS View Post
    Doom Bar. Discovered it recently and my god is that a fine ale.
    The best thing is that when you approach the bar, the bartender asks "what can I get you?" and you can reply by gripping the edge of the bar, leaning forward with a manic look in your eye and shouting "DOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM!".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Well hacked off. Paisley beer fest next month and nobody I know is available to go. >:(

If it weren't such a trek for a few pints I'd go on my own.
    To Paisley?
    Paisley Paisley?
    That would have to be some seriously good beer. (The word "Paisley" looks increasingly weird the more you type it).

The CAMRA Paisley beer festival is entirely excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Dunno if this is everywhere but the Tesco near my work has excellent offers on beer at the moment. Both ales and other stuff. Lovely.
    Is that the 3 for 2? It's a ridiculously good offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Also when I was up in Cumbria a few years back doing the Hardrians Wall walk I always remember the Geltsdale beers being very nice indeed. Shame there doesn't seem to be any way of ordering a few bottles online. http://www.geltsdalebrewery.com/gelt...ry_ourbeer.php

I agree they are based in Brampton (which is close to a section of the Hadrians wall walk). If anyone is ever in the area, I recommend you pop in and ask for a mixed crate.

Can't remember if we have any other Glasgow-based beer fans on here, but if so they need to get themselves to The Cave on Great Western Road, an excellent off-license in terms of ales and imported beers and the like.

I went in yesterday and they had an offer of 5 Williams Bros beers (from a possible 8 or 9) for 8. So I filled my boots with that. The imported/rarer stuff is, understandably, somewhat pricier but much of it I've not seen in other shops so I'd happily pick up one or two per shop. As it is I spent 7 (!!) on a pint bottle of Arrogant Bastard Ale as it's meant to be good.

So I am a new sailor on this journey we call "drinking", but I quite enjoy me some Peroni. Is this acceptable? I know it's not acceptable to my wallet :(.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Man, I'd love to go drinking properly in Glasgow again now that I've got a little bit more money than in my undergraduate days. Always had fun, but now I could afford to have fun and drink something nice!

@ Rakysh

Peroni is a very acceptable lager (though something I tend to buy infrequently when out as there's usually something just as good that costs a bit less). Plus it has the added bonus of coming in a rather nice pint glass that I'm always tempted to steal!

Peroni is very much acceptable, it's an excellent beer.
    I'm Respecting your culture!

Ok, phew. What else would you recommend to a novice, then? I don't mind Sol, and Desperado was... interesting, but I don't get on with ale very well, nor the Aussie-urine that is Fosters and its ilk. Anything too hopsy is definitely a turn-off.

Desperado's too easy to drink, I find. Time-release hangover in a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakysh View Post
    So I am a new sailor on this journey we call "drinking", but I quite enjoy me some Peroni. Is this acceptable? I know it's not acceptable to my wallet :(.
    From Peroni I guess you could forge a voyage towards the good lands of Italy, and see if you like Moretti.
    Or alternatively, go German, and see if stuff like Warsteiner takes your fancy.

Sticking aboard the good ship Light & Refreshing, give any of these a whirl:
    Staropramen
    Budvar
    Pilsener Urquell
    Oranjeboom
    Lindeboom