Decent opensource games

Hey guys this is really just for you guys to post some of those opensource games that deserve some of the limelight from the big devs.

Just to start things off really I stumbled across Zero-K, an RTS very much like Total annihilation (including commanders, spiders, nukes, Big burthas). What surprises me really is that the community is rather small (think about 100-200 people) But the game is SOOOOOOO fun!

The community members themselves are a good laugh they are always willing to have a chat with you and help you out, especially as in your game you will mostly have spectators just interested in watching, giving tips and hints to you about what to build and where.

Despite the community being so small the game feels really REALLY well developed. With tactics coming into play really heavily, especially when it comes to 6v6 + games. Besides, its free? What have you got to loose? (And it even runs on linux!)

screen shots:
    http://code.google.com/p/zero-k/wiki/Media

The website :
    http://zero-k.info/
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Tremulous is highly decent.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremulous
    steam

Network Hub
    Battle of Wesnoth, Quake 1,2,3, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, Abuse, Arx Fatalis, xmoto

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Yes, but something like Arx Fatalis can't be played without the art assets and game content, which are not GPLed

Obscure Node
    The Ur-Quan Masters is the open-source port of the classic Star Control II. Looks like it just got its first major update in ages, too.

The Ur-Quan Masters is in my opinion the best open-source game available right now, but that's probably because I liked it before it went open-source, and because it wasn't originally developed as open-source. Not for modern gamers, though; you'll need pen and paper, and preferably a printed-out version of the starmap.

Tremulous is also good fun. I've played it a lot a few years ago. Requires some teamwork, though, and last time I played it it was full of griefers, so you'll want to find a server that has some active admins around, unless these days griefing has gone down significantly.

As far as open-source but with non-Free content goes, there's Freespace 2 Open which is quite amazing if you install recent graphical goodie updates.

Lastly, there's stuff like NAEV, Frogatto, Xonotic, Sauerbraten, and Red Eclipse. These are all quite neat, somewhat polished, and are still being worked on. NAEV and Frogatto are probably projects to keep tabs on. The guys behind NAEV are doing a lot of interesting stuff, and NAEV has really improved significantly in the past few years.

Obscure Node
    FWIW, via the bay12 forums:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...CNScwJoF#gid=0

Probably not all open source, but all freeware. You'll probably want to copy the spreadsheet to your own Google Docs account before you start sorting through it, just in case.

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    Ur-Quan and Wesnoth are both brillant. Stone Soup is good (Though currently playing Dredmor). Dont actually know any others, I dont think.

I like the Cube engine games (Cube 1 more than Sauerbraten... i find the latter's clash of styles too distracting).
    ~bs~

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quake 1,2,3
    The engines are open source, the games themselves are not. An engine being released as open source does not mean the game is suddenly free to play.

The Ur-Quan Masters is in my opinion the best open-source game available right now
    I agree, and I didn't even know about it when it was first released. It's just a fantastic game with a solid storyline, and an interesting cast of characters.

I'd also echo Sauerbraten but it's become a bit too... dead for my liking. I used to love mapping with Cube and Sauerbraten because it's a joy to use, but neither have really materialised into a solid game.

Frets on Fire, an open-source Guitar Hero clone.
    I don't know how active the community is these days but I played it a lot a few years ago.

Network Hub
    Clonk and OpenClonk.
    The best description would probably be a 2d sandbox platformer. You control one or several little people and build settlements and/or fight against each other.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I know the artwork is not open source, but I got a lot of fun from OpenTTD years ago (maybe 10 years?), it probably is the best open source game (If you are not into Tremulous, or a a OpenArena fan).

I am not a big fan of Civ, but I sould mention FreeCiv.

Globulation is another tiny interesting game. And maybe GLest.

While I don't know of any game like Mount & Blade. Theres a lot of open source roguelikes. And if you like MMO games, theres a lot of MUDS (being most muds open source since more than 30 years ago, I think).

I think theres a open source Total Anhilation engine, and aparently is really powerfull, but I have not seen any package that is easy to run for nuubs like me.

I probably sould mention again OpenArena, and all the Quake3-like games that use ioQuake3 as engine.. but I don't know very well that. I think theres the Alien Red (or similar name), and theres a few mods gone standalone... these are probably similar in size and interest to Tremulous.

A good page for open source and linux games is this one:
    http://happypenguin.org/

I didn't know Clonk had gone OSS - I'm very, very interested by this.

I'm really interested by the new Clonk scripting plugin for the Eclipse IDE. I love Eclipse

Activated Node
    Open Clonk is fantastic, even at this early stage. You need to be a bloody wizard to use any patch that's not official though. Unless you go with a development snapshot and even then it's not guaranteed to work.
    Last edited by Teddy Leach; 15-07-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Our Of Order recently went Open Source I think - great game engine too.