Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar

Engineer - what are the best upgrades?

Anyone with experience from the beta, where would you put your points in Engineer?
    Also what's your recommended gun for Engineers?

Obscure Node
    Upgrade your repair tool if you are doing lots of repairing, it will help a lot.
    Flak armour could be quite handy for engineers if you are behind vehicles repairing as they are being fired upon. Rank 1 flak armour is only 1 cert and provides 10 or 15% explosion damage reduction.
    As a VS the starting gun is actually pretty bloody awesome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    I don't think that there is THE gun to recommend. For the moment being I would say to use the standard one and rent the others ones every know and then and see if there is one you prefer.

Anti tank mines are powerfull, but also expensive to replenish and very situational. Also they can be easily blown up when spotted AND do friendly fire (at least a friendly engie was able to blwo me up with one a few days ag). So I would not recommend them.
    Anti Personel Mines have the same issues and I think grenades do a better job. So for now I would not spent certs in this area. Maybe for C4 but the rest is stuff you can get further down the line.

I do not have much experience with the rest of the engi specific certs. Maybe someone else here has.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    One or two levels in the repair gun is worthwhile, not much more than that though.

Ditto on the flak armour. If you're jumping out of a sundy / tank to repair, it's good to be able to survive a nearby tank shell or two.

Other than that, it's playstyle.

Although I think having anything that when certed replaces the ammo pack was a bad call in design. It's what engineers "do" as part of an infantry squad. It should be as central to their role as the medic's tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

I got myself the Solstice SF for beeing able to add smoke grenades to it. Often makes repairing a lot easier. And is general fun!
    Also i bought the Erscheinung (at least that is what it is called in the german client). That gun is not in the shop but can be bought from the engies cert page for SC (or cert ofc). It is a semi-automatic high-range rifle. I put the 4x scope on it, and it really works well at those ranges. I often equip that one when i want to stay back with my sundy so i can snipe into the action and still do emergency repairs.
    The Solstice SF can also be used by the light assault and the Erscheinung by the Heavy Assault, in case you want to play other classes every now and then.

Apart from that, i agree on flak armor and 1-2 lvls on the repair tool. I also feel that a few lvl in the ammo pack really help to get xp in hectic battles.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Thanks for all the useful replies

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Although I think having anything that when certed replaces the ammo pack was a bad call in design. It's what engineers "do" as part of an infantry squad. It should be as central to their role as the medic's tool.
    You still have a ammo pack even if you replace it. Pull out your Mana Turret and press b (by default) and you will get to an ammo pack even if you replaced it with some thing else. Although in the beta cert upgrades to it's radius/life didn't apply to this one, that may be fixed though I haven't tested.

As to upgrades it depends what sort of engineering you plan to do?

Vehicle Support: Buffed Engie gun and Flak Armor as you will be eating a decent amount of splash.
    Infantry Support: Buffed Engie gun, Nano Armor, Ammo Pack certs and which ever one of your faction guns get the Grenade Launcher attachment.

More will probably come to me later.

I wish I could replace the turret though, I dont like it at all.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    I love it. The glowing panels on the front make a perfect crosshair for a headshot, particularly in the dark.

It can be really fun, but i would never spend certs on it.
    Last night i defended the Vanu Archieves against a massive TR Armor gang (you cannot bring armor into the archieves, if you did not know) and i set my turret up next to point A, aiming at the door, and proceded to get at least a streak of 10. That might not sound much to you sniping scoundrels but for a humble engineer like me, that is awesome. ^^

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeVadder View Post
    I got myself the Solstice SF for beeing able to add smoke grenades to it. Often makes repairing a lot easier. And is general fun!
    Does that replace the standard LA Solstice or unlock a new firemode for the standard one? As far as I remember they're the same gun but one is full auto and the other is 3 burst?

I'm loving Anti-Tank mines.

During a base assault against a Tech Lab I racked up something like 6 vehicle kills by popping mines down just outside the anti-vehicle barrier, and legging it back to a Sunderer for a resupply. The enemy would come scooting out of their base in their nice shiny new vehicle and run right over the mines. Yum.

Second thing I liked, was an Anti-Tank dive-bomb against a squad who'd snuck a Sunderer behind one of our towers. Basically did a banzai charge against the Sunderer and my AT mines blew it, me, and 5 enemies away. Not sure why the AT mines went up, as clearly I couldn't put the mines under the Sunderer with it stationary. Either the mine have a radius of activation and explosion, the enemies shot them (Unlikely) or infantry can set off AT mines. Or perhaps I​ set off the AT mines, I did end up causing something like 65% of the damage to myself.

Today I heard that the best gun is the V8 or somesuch. I went on to "trial" it, and I have to say, Im very impressed. Its also usable by light assaults too.

Also, that "drop ammo box by cycling the turret" is awesome. Feels more responsive than the ammo drop, for some reason, but I assume you can only drop one at any given time, right? not like the ammo boxes?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Does that replace the standard LA Solstice or unlock a new firemode for the standard one? As far as I remember they're the same gun but one is full auto and the other is 3 burst?
    It is another weapon. That means you cannot use unlocks you made for the basic Solstice on your SF. But any upgrade you unlock for the SF will be there for both classes that can use it. You will not need to unlock a sight twice to use it on engi and la.
    There are three Solstices.
    The basic one, that you have from the beginning.
    The Solstice Burst, which only has a burst mode but is slightly stronger (better Rof and reload time i believe) in exchange (and apparently burst fire mode is considered better at longer range but it seems as if just manually bursting with full auto guns has the same effect).
    The Solstice SF which has the same stats as the basic Solstice but is the only one that offers better attachements (underbarrel shotgun, grenade launcher and smoke launcher) and you can switch between full-auto, burst-fire-mode and semi-auto.
    All in all, the SF is an upgrade from the basic one because of the attachements with no drawbacks and the Burst is kind of a sidegrade as it offers (very) slightly better damage but forces you to frantically spam the fire button if you need automatic fire (as in close combat).
    Last edited by DeVadder; 26-11-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    The SF sounds great!

It is indeed. It is hard to describe how much fun smoke grenades are.
    And you can actually kill people with bouncing one off their back. Best kills ever. Happened a lot to me because i was used to scroll two weapons up from my repair tool when i need to shoot something. But that is where the smoke grenades are now, which also happen to look like my normal gun on the mainscreen because they are underbarrel.

Quote Originally Posted by DeVadder View Post
    It is indeed. It is hard to describe how much fun smoke grenades are.
    And you can actually kill people with bouncing one off their back. Best kills ever. Happened a lot to me because i was used to scroll two weapons up from my repair tool when i need to shoot something. But that is where the smoke grenades are now, which also happen to look like my normal gun on the mainscreen because they are underbarrel.
    I hope you're wrong (not that I'm doubting you) because that totally goes against the notion of "sidegrades, not upgrades."

You can easily verify that yourself with comparing the stats of the two in the shop or the wiki and looking through the certs.
    The SF is not a massive upgrade for sure, the damage is exactly the same, but yes, it is strictly better than the basic version because it offers more options.
    Smoke grenades and even normal grenades are of course highly situational and may easily harm your own team and do harm the guns perfomance (takes longer to change to the weapon, a bigger drawback to the engi than it sounds) but they are additional options and thus a clear improvement.
    To make matters worse (well, imho they are not really bad, but...) you can even cert different ammo for the SF, each having drawbacks and advantages.

I can understand why that may be a problem for some people, but i have to admit, this is not some cheap F2P copy of another game, this is a highly expensive quite original game in its scale and graphics. I would never expect to be able to play a game like this for less than 40€. Especially not while it is completely new. And 40€ easily bought me all the guns i wanted (some more, if only i had known about testing weapons earlier) with enough SC remaining to later buy me some vehicle guns, once i know what i want there. While i also was able to play the game for dozens of hours before paying anything.
    And i can play the game together with friends of mine who did not spend any money on it. That last part is the best part of F2P for me.

But this is certainly not the thread for that discussion. I sugest oppening a new one if anyone wants to have it.
    Last edited by DeVadder; 27-11-2012 at 02:50 AM.

why should there only be sidegrades? its not like they're "buy only". It makes sense to reward players with "better" tech if they play a lot, no matter if they pay or not.

But of course, do not fool yourself, they are here to make money and provide entertainment. As long as its not pay to win, which I get the distinct feeling it aint, its fine.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

The battle rifle is worth a test, especially if you like longer range engagements, especially once you put a x4 scope on it.