Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    I think the whole notion of F2P needs to reworked. You can kill stuff fine with nothing in PS2, but to specialize to any extent you will probably want to spend cash. I am totally fine with this, but I understand if people are not, since it really does go against the game's marketing.

My only gripe is that everything is stupid expensive. For 10 euros in Tribes you could get a lot of stuff, here it gets you a weapon and a half..

Quote Originally Posted by Antares View Post
    I particular, I strongly dislike how crucial roles, mostly vehicle-related, are either locked out or simply underpowered unless one pays up or grinds for 30-40 hours for the weapon bringing it up to speed. AA is the best example, what with base turrets being rubbish and 1-burster MAXes being far inferior to the two-armed variant, but not the only one. OTOH, there's also the Liberator gun, the Lightning main cannon, the Magrider's Saron turret and of course the fighter's respective secondary weapons (to be honest, I don't know why you brought up the infantry weapons. Those are all fine sidegrades and I've yet to see anyone complain about them).
    The AA Turrets are actually pretty good, they just die way too quickly to ESF Rockets. A couple of manned AA turrets can easily scare off and often kill (Assuming the turret players know how to lead targets...) aircraft, but a single ESF can sneak up and blow up a turret in seconds with Rockets.

But agreed that some of the roles pretty much require SC unlocks. NC Anti-Infantry MAXes are one that I'd argue need SC unlocks since they start with a pseudo-shotgun, thus are useless outside of point-blank range, ESFs need the Rockets and the A2A Missiles, Lightnings are a lot better with a turret unlock or two, but infantry stuff is largely a wash. That's all a bit of a shame really, but SOE do need to make the moneys.

As a (mostly) infantry player, and pretty much exclusively Engineer currently, I don't feel like I'm missing out on 'power' having not spent a thing but I certainly notice how crapass my Lightning is without the HEAT turret or the Anti-Infantry turret, and I've yet to set foot into an ESF as I know​ how crap it'll be without the secondary weapons.

Yep. As someone who hasn't spent money on the game, I only use the ESF to get from A to B. It's not a viable combatant without missiles. It's the same with the Lightning and Liberator. Might as well not spawn those if you don't have the weapon unlock for it.

I get why SOE decided to do this, and I'm OK with it. For a one time purchase of $15 I can make all these problems go away and $15 is really cheap for a AAA title, especially an MMO.

The only thing I take issue with is that a default player has no viable AA. In general, some forms of AA could use a mild buff, so I propose this.

Buff the Skyguard, just a little. Then for the remaining vehicles, create a turret that basically mounts half a skyguard, so less than the power of 2 bursters. Put this in the 100 cert slot. This allows vehicles to mount credible AA screens if they choose to do so (and I expect a lot of Sunderers will roll with one of those vehicle bursters), but doesn't displace the roles of either the Skyguard or the double Burster MAX.

Or we could scrap that idea and just lower the magazine size on ESF rocketpods to 8 or 10. Because honestly, instantly dieing to something you can't counter is a bit shitty.

Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    I think the whole notion of F2P needs to reworked. You can kill stuff fine with nothing in PS2, but to specialize to any extent you will probably want to spend cash. I am totally fine with this, but I understand if people are not, since it really does go against the game's marketing.

My only gripe is that everything is stupid expensive. For 10 euros in Tribes you could get a lot of stuff, here it gets you a weapon and a half..
    My thoughts exactly. A little bit of cash in Tribes gives you good value for money spent, in Planetside 2, hell no. Which is why I'll only buy StationCash when double or preferably triple sales are in effect. Sadly, if people are buying StationCash and using it actively in Planetside 2, SOE have no incentive to reduce Stationcash price on weapons and cosmetic stuff. All my StationCash came from Alpha Squad + buying 2000 Stationcash during Halloween which was triple amount, ie getting 6000 cash. Spent it on some weapons and way too much cosmetic stuff.
    Steam: krusader83 | Origin: Sceptrum
    Planetside 2: SceptrumVS (Miller) : SceptrumNC (Mallory) : SceptrumTR (Lithcorp)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Sorry for my little rant yesterday. Was stressed, got sick. Became very grumpy that day

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    Sorry for my little rant yesterday. Was stressed, got sick. Became very grumpy that day
    Well, you honestly had good reasons to. AA in this game could need a tune-up, although think SOE/Smedley wants air to be more dominant. And Boris brings up a good point I really didn't think about, that if you want to be viable in anti-air you have to save up certs or fork out stationcash, as you only start with a Burster cannon. I usually think of AA has ground-based, so not counting Scythe, as not everyone wants to or are good at using aircraft, so they are kind of screwed in that regard. Me personally can't use a Scythe at all, I'm not just good at it. (Would have used joystick, but Microsoft have dropped support of Precision 2 and Win7 does not recognize it and found no unofficial drivers.)
    Planetside 2: SceptrumVS (Miller) : SceptrumNC (Mallory) : SceptrumTR (Lithcorp)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    My main issue with AA is not that it's ineffective, or that there's an asymmetry between that one guy in the air who can take on air, infantry and vehicles equally and that one guy on the ground with only a lock on ground-to-air launcher.

It's that those who take flying really seriously in PS2. Those who spend most of their time flying and developing that skill set. They go TR.

The mosquito's dynamics seems to attract those who are gonna spend most of their time in the air. The reaver is just a bit sluggish, the Scyth is loads of fun and interesting to fly, but it is basically a hovvering UFO. The mossie is the one that's most manouverable and most acts like a plane.

There's a reason TR seem to have contsant air dominance, it's because the intent is to have air support to combat air superiority and TR has the most & best pilots.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Activated Node
    WRT Cooper's point about TR having the best air options: I think that would actually be really interesting if SOE had tried to really model three asymmetric sides. I mean, it might make sense for TR to have air superiority, as they're the fascist military dictatorship and all, if the other two sides had some competitive advantages in some other areas that they'd have to exploit well in order to overcome TR's air.

But generally speaking, PS2 doesn't do asymmetry as much as the sides are the same, but different. So the differences that do stand out are the more glaring for it.

Interesting post on Planetside 2 Facebook page. Notice most of the comments, including the one guy who says rocket podding is a talent and HAs can shoot down ESF with one missile.

It's a talent. Not a very hard one, but still you can get it horribly wrong.

And no. I don't know if he flies into mountains to get rid of the LOCK warning, but my ESF with no upgrades whatsoever can eat 2 missiles.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sceptrum View Post
    Interesting post on Planetside 2 Facebook page. Notice most of the comments, including the one guy who says rocket podding is a talent and HAs can shoot down ESF with one missile.
    Ha's can shoot down an ESF with one rocket if the ESF "hovers like a derp". The post is correct, as I know to my cost. The unmodded scythe can take 2 and a bit guided missiles though.

Last night I experienced the disparity between the faction starting weapons, was noone around on Miller where I play NC so went and made a TR character on a US East server and my god their starting rifles, especially the Medic's T1 Cycler (which can kill at range with 2 short bursts, when the equivalent NC gun would be lucky to land a bullet) just dick on the NC starting weapons. Ended up racking up 40 certs in an hour, battle rank 5 and had a generally unfrustrating time :/ Found the prowler quite enjoyable too though I do enjoy the Vanguards playing style a little more.

And I know what you're saying about ESF pilots, I think I've only ever seen one instance of NC aerial superiority when we've had an even fight over a base, being perpetually pounded by rocket pods has almost become routine.
    so much for pathos

I could do with them allowing us to move the HUD around. I'm not calling for modding support, just have an adjustable HUD (not unheard of, just seems to be very rare in games). They have fallen for the "We put the info around the edge, because that's what we've always done" approach and so my ammo, shield and health are a good 8" from the crosshairs where my attention normally is. If it was a third of the way up the screen in the middle then I wouldn't run into fights with one bullet left in my magazine quite so often (yes, this is me being crap).

Or you could check the 'Centralized Hud' option in the general settings. \o/

To the guns, i had quite the opposite in the beta.
    I switched from TR to NC and suddenly hit a lot more and better. Now i am VS and suddenly i am almost capable at killing people. I suppose that has a lot to do with personal preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by DeVadder View Post
    Or you could check the 'Centralized Hud' option in the general settings. \o/

To the guns, i had quite the opposite in the beta.
    I switched from TR to NC and suddenly hit a lot more and better. Now i am VS and suddenly i am almost capable at killing people. I suppose that has a lot to do with personal preferences.
    Oh yeh in the beta the NC weapons were fine, but come release the Light Assault/Engineer carbine and HA LMG have had their recoil and cone of fire noticeabley increased. To the point where you could run into a room as a HA, get off 10 bullets aiming at someone's chest 10ft away and have none hit, which can be frustrating and innaccuracy of weapons means just means luck starts influencing fights more. The only redeeming weapon of the NC default arsenal is the 1-Hit Headshot sniper rifle the Infiltrator starts with.
    so much for pathos

I'm loving it a lot more than I did during beta. Definitely needs improvements to the meta game though, as at current it does feel alot like BF3. Vanu weapons are so much more responsive than terrans, so glad I made the switch to join you guys over here!

Banned
    Funny, my first impression with the game was "Wow, air force is such a joke in this game". Every tank comes with a reasonably effective AA gun(Basilisk), Sunderers come with two, let's not forget the AA emplacements and ESFs can be damaged even with infantry weapons including pistols. And, of course, your own air force... which pretty much limits air force to ESFs to getting a single salvo off then retreating because they're already at half health(which is horrendously inefficient for them) and Gunships hovering directly overhead out of the range of Basilisks(which never happens because it requires selflessness from the pilot who does nothing and gets nothing while the guy in second seat gets to kill everything for insane killstreaks and XP).

...but apparently it's been a "problem" and now AA is getting a buff?

Either I missed something or SOE has their heads completely up their asses. And considering the fact that SOE does indeed have their heads completely up their asses, I'm more inclined to go with the latter.

Activated Node
    Huh. I mean, you're entitled to your opinion and all, but it's not just SOE who think that anti-air needs some buffing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Funny, my first impression with the game was "Wow, air force is such a joke in this game". Every tank comes with a reasonably effective AA gun(Basilisk), Sunderers come with two, let's not forget the AA emplacements and ESFs can be damaged even with infantry weapons including pistols. And, of course, your own air force... which pretty much limits air force to ESFs to getting a single salvo off then retreating because they're already at half health(which is horrendously inefficient for them) and Gunships hovering directly overhead out of the range of Basilisks(which never happens because it requires selflessness from the pilot who does nothing and gets nothing while the guy in second seat gets to kill everything for insane killstreaks and XP).

...but apparently it's been a "problem" and now AA is getting a buff?

Either I missed something or SOE has their heads completely up their asses. And considering the fact that SOE does indeed have their heads completely up their asses, I'm more inclined to go with the latter.
    You seriously havent been playing.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Herkimer View Post
    Huh. I mean, you're entitled to your opinion and all, but it's not just SOE who think that anti-air needs some buffing.
    I second that motion!