Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Capturing facilities

I tried the game out for the first time yesterday evening and was very impressed, if a little overwhelmed.

An initial question - me and about 50 other guys were trying to capture a large base. It had large orange shields protecting it which we were unable to pass through, and we were reduced to trying to fight our way through a tiny side door, which lead to a slaughter. How should we have resolved this?

I know that there's a shield generator, but that seemed to be in the building behind the shield itself! Should we have flown into the top of the building, or used light assaults to jump up and disable the shield?

I am an infiltrator. I apparently can hack things. What does that mean, and should I have done it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    You went Vanu on Miller like I told you, right? I'm sure I saw you join the RPS Outfit.
    Join up with one of our "highly professional manoeuvres" (tm) and you'll pretty much pick up the game by osmosis from the ones who have played longer.
    You're not really "an infiltrator" at this point though - you can spawn as any class, and I doubt you've put a lot of certs into infiltrator stuff yet. Try a handful of classes and see what you like. But yes, infiltrators can hack things - you know the vehicle spawning consoles, where you can spawn vehicles? Infiltrators can turn those from their colour to ours, and we can then spawn a Sundy and use it to respawn our deaders.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Infiltrators can hack vehicle and equipment terminals so that their own team can use them in a hostile base. As for shield-generators you can overload them by walking up to them and pressing E, and they will overload within a time period unless a defender walks up and stops the overload process.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    You're not really "an infiltrator" at this point though - you can spawn as any class, and I doubt you've put a lot of certs into infiltrator stuff yet.

I'd disagree with this. You really don't need to unlock anything to be a decent infiltrator. You just need to learn how and when to use your cloak, which is pretty much constantly. The only time it should be off is when it's charging.

Hacking is done by standing in front of an enemy terminal or generator and holding E. It is ridiculous that the game never tells you this, and even the half dozen wikis floating around don't either. It makes generators explode after a minute or so (enemies can reverse this, so keep your eyes peeled), which powers down various base systems. Terminals and base turrets become your yeam's. I've not tried it on an engineer's mini-turret yet, and suspect it wouldn't work.

Join up with one of our "highly professional manoeuvres" (tm) and you'll pretty much pick up the game by osmosis from the ones who have played longer.
    Honestly, I'd disagree with this, too. The best and most fun way to learn is to get stuck in with randoms, and whenever you're being butchered, or more likely, both sides are pointlessly spamming a billion people at each other without every gaining an inch, go and look for another nearby outpost (check the map and icons on your hud), another entrance, or the source of enemy reinforcements, which will usually be a nearby APC.

Most bases have smaller outposts around them, which can and should be captured to provide a spawning point. Some of them also have either jump pads or gravlifts that will take you to another entrance to the main base, and others will have a teleporter that lets you directly inside the base to open up a second flank which about 98% of players never try to defend. These are your best bet if you're an infiltrator.
    Last edited by sinister agent; 26-11-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    well I disagree with your disagreements - all I meant was his decision to choose infiltrator for the first day or two doesn't force him to be one forever.
    Last edited by President Weasel; 26-11-2012 at 08:30 PM.

I figured i'd make a thread giving a quick walkthrough for the three kinds of facilities: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...ing-Facilities

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    well I disagree with your disagreements - all I meant was his decision to choose infiltrator for the first day or two doesn't force him to be one forever.
    I am a fool. Sorry, I misunderstood completely.