I would like to pose the community a conundrum: Dragon Age 2 vs. Magicka. I can hear the grumbling beginning already.

Well, let's take Dragon Age 2 - a game that was rushed to release and lacked an expected polish in its finer details, addressed to a certain extent by later patches. There was a meaty DLC offered for free with pre-orders, and at regular price for those who chose to wait. The community was up in arms - DLC near the release day! How dare they? There were accusations that the game would be filled out with DLC after DLC. Here we are four months later, getting a preview for the game's second DLC.

Now let's compare it to Magicka - a game that was rushed to release and lacked an expected polish in its finer details, addressed to a certain extent by later patches. The community largely forgave this and, less than six months after release, we've had 8 DLCs, including one that gives your party a new set of robes. And yet, despite the obvious milking of the title through DLCs, there's no reaction whatsoever - no rage, no claims of gamers being gypped.

So what's the difference? I'm truly curious. Dragon Age 2 gave us a DLC that included a new companion, new mission, and offered it to many for free. Magicka gave us 8 DLCs in six months, some of them including nothing more than a near-empty handful of new items. And yet Dragon Age 2 is taken to represent the worst tendencies in handling DLC, while Magicka gets good reaction for every new DLC they announce. Someone has to explain it to me.