Secondary Hivemind Nexus

A laptop that works like an etch-a-sketch (you'll like this)

Today's faulty laptop is interesting because it needs to be 'cleared' like an etch-a-sketch from time to time ;)

It's an oldish (2005) HP laptop running XP - it's been fine for years but it's recently started freezing/stuttering/slowing and generally 'not working well'.

I started-off thinking it just needed a good clean-up and maybe a new HDD (with 500 power-on-days it probably does but it tests OK!) but the first hour-or-so I used it, it was fine - clean - not really needing my attention at all.

So I put it back in the bag for a while - when I got it back out it was playing-up/freezing/stopping/keyboard and pad not responding - USB devices not powered etc. etc.

Thing is tho - when you move it - it starts responding again isntantly - but then after a while it stops again!

Shake it, starts responding again and so on.

Never crashes -no BSODS - no disk errors - not a loose connection or electrical issue - they would crash it.

Scratched my head for a while - disconnected everything I could easily access (wifi, bluetooth, extra memory, hdd, dvd) to see if it was a faulty device - nothing helped.

Then the thought hit me...

These HPs have a '3D Drive Guard' system - an accelerometer on the mobo which sleeps the HDD (and thus the PC) if it detects sudden movement. 10 says it's sticking/faulty and triggering at random - I checked the BIOS and there's not an option to disable it so I just disabled the hardware for it in the Device Manager instead - and removed the software app for good measure.

So far, so good - but it could be a day-or-2 before I'll know if I've actually fixed it - if not, the owner gets to give it the etch-a-sketch treatment until it dies :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That's a pretty cool story.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    p.s. there is an inadvertent downside to this tale too, as the owner just called me to check something

In amongst the other chat I told him "as this is an 8-year-old machine, it's obviously getting a bit long-in-the-tooth and it could easily have something loose/about to break"

"My wife bought me this brand-new 2 or 3 Christmases ago".

"Ah"

"Why do you think it's 8 years old"

"ROM Date, Battery Manuf. Date, Build Sticker "Property of Hewlett Packard" sticker and Warranty details (on the HP website) all say 2005.

I think I've caused a domestic.
    Last edited by trjp; 11-08-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I think I've caused a domestic.
    Helpdesks, we don't know what we did ;)

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    These HPs have a '3D Drive Guard' system - an accelerometer on the mobo which sleeps the HDD (and thus the PC) if it detects sudden movement.
    Huh, that's cool. Is it like a MEMS package or something?

Nice thinking to get that fixed! The helpdesk sitcom event was classic. Heh.
    Is not a leg.
    Frobnitz Ichor Liquor purveyors don't need compasses to tell which way the moon sounds.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well it's still working but whether it was disabling the accelerometer or just blind-luck that it's been 'shaken just right' we'll never know for sure - the software wasn't actually installed properly so it shouldn't have been able to 'pause' Windows anyway (but half-installed software could easily have been as much part of the problem I guess).

These sensors aren't uncommon - esp on business-focussed laptops. My Thinkpad (X200) has one - my old HP NC2400 has one - it's just an accelerometer on the MOBO and a driver which, when alerted by the sensor, parks the HDD heads so that when the laptop hits whatever it's falling towards - they're not on the surface of the disk.

In reality, how often do you move your laptop when it's working tho?