Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    On power supplies - there's almost nothing sensible a decent 500W can't power these days. PSUs above that are a mixture of 'marketting' and 'mentalists running mad overclocks and 3 GPUs and liquid cooling and shit'.

Power Supplies do have a finite life tho - even the best PSUs will lose 20-25% of their effective power over 3-5 years (crap ones lose 20% a year) which means even good PSUs are less than ideal as they approach the 4/5 year old mark (I've yet to see an PSU pass 6 without issues).

To the OP - I'd say that a new GPU will be useful when you decide to upgrade everything else anyway - that 5770 would be sub-par for a nice shiny-new i5+mobo tho so perhaps that's where you should start - you'll see some benefits for sure (and I'll have your 5770 :) ) :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    As long as the caps are quality, PSUs can live a very long time.

And also: 450-550W is regular system territory. 650-750W is SLI/Crossfire territory. If you want SLI/Crossfire, a 750W PSU is a good choice.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    I think it is fair to say that it is overkill now, and overkill forever. The main aim on tech these days is not performance, but power effeciency, with newer generations of hardware requiring less and less power (Look at, say, the power difference between the Q8400 and the Ivy Bridge i5 - the latter is faster but requires less power).

On the other hand, having a 750 watt PSU will mean that you probably will never have to upgrade that thing ever again. And, as a side bonus, a PSU that can perform reliably at 750 watt will most certainly perform extremely reliably at 500 watts, and reliability is all you want when getting more expensive components (PSUs have a nasty tendency of doing splash damage when they go down). It will probably also last quite a bit longer.

Personally, though, I'd rather go for a 600 or 650 watt PSU, and invest the money you save on the other components. A 750 watt PSU is only requiered when you plan to build a computer with the high end i7s or AMD processors, and if you crossfire or SLI two or more graphics card. But if you had the buying power to do that, you wouldn't be here asking if you should upgrade your CPU or GPU first.

There is, unfortunately, no defintive answer I can give you on that point.
    It's overkill but if you upgrade you'll probably never have to upgrade!
    Derp.

OP stick with your 500W psu till it someday breaks or you want to go SLI. You need a better psu as much as your tv needs a monster cable.
    Last edited by Finicky; 30-11-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Okay, cool. Thanks for the clarification.

Last night, I tried something with PS2. With all low graphics settings, in a full blown massive scale battle, I was getting 3 fps.
    Out of some hybrid of frusturation and curiousity, I turned everything on high, enabled motion blur, whatever the fancy lighting filter is called, and restarted the game.

I'm now consistently getting 14 fps or so in large scale battles, and 30-40 in smaller skirmishes. It's also actually using my GPU sometimes now, sometimes during those big fights.

Anyone else thinking of upgrading for the sake of PS2, try putting it all on high. You might get even better results than I did.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    It's because the game was coded by monkeys and if you play on low settings in cpu heavy battles, your gpu will go into idle clocks mode. You want to turn up the settings untill it says 'gpu' next to the fps counter when you are at a low pop area to avoid that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    It's because the game was coded by monkeys and if you play on low settings in cpu heavy battles, your gpu will go into idle clocks mode.
    Actually, Monkeys wouldn't even think of doing that.

Obscure Node
    Hi folks, mind if I highjack this thread a little bit with the same question the OP had?

I'm considering an upgrade with a budget of about $500 (the prices may be different here, though - a GTX 760 costs around $310). I'm definitely getting an SSD (64 or 120, not sure yet), but I'm not sure if I should upgrade to a GTX 760, or if I need to upgrade the MB and CPU. Also, I could go the cheap way and get two more GTX 260s for a 3-way SLI, but that doesn't seem worth it (it's probably going to cost around $250 anyway).

My setup is:
    MB: ASUS M4N82 DELUXE - nForce 980a SLI, AM3/AM2+, DDR2, VGA, GLAN, 1394, ATX
    CPU: AMD ATHLON II X2 240 (2,8GHz, 2MB, AM3, 65W)
    GPU: Point Of View nVidia GeForce GTX260 896MB Premium, 2x DVI, TVout, PCIE2.0
    Cooling: CPU AMD Arctic-Cooling FREEZER 64 PRO (soc. 754,939,AM2)

RAM: 2x DIMM DDR2 2048MB 800MHZ
    HDD: SAMSUNG F2 1,5TB SATAII/300 32MB 5400 ECO Green

Thoughts? Tips? Opinions? Thanks!

What kind of games do you play?

By modern standards you've got a low-end GPU and an even more low-end CPU. Which is more in need of an upgrade depends on the type of games you play, since some games are more GPU-heavy and some are more CPU-heavy.

Obscure Node
    Hey Sakkura and thanks for response. It's a 4 years old computer. I mostly intend to play RPGs and strategies - I'm guessing Rome 2 will be wanting a better CPU, but my wife's Dragon Age 3 will want a GPU upgrade, no? I occasionally play a shooter, but I wouldn't base the decision on that.

I'm thinking something along these lines: buy GTX 760 + SSD now, and upgrade MB + CPU in about a year from now; would that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenda View Post
    I'm thinking something along these lines: buy GTX 760 + SSD now, and upgrade MB + CPU in about a year from now; would that work?
    That'd work but your old CPU won't like compute-heavy strategies and your SSD will be bottlenecked by the SATA revision on your motherboard (though this kind of thing is inevitable when mixing old & new hardware). If you're playing at 1920x or lower you could do with a lesser GPU (e.g. 7870 or 660) and that'd afford you money for CPU/mobo/RAM.

Personally I'd save until I could get CPU/mobo/RAM/GPU altogether and worry about an SSD later even though I'm super-bullish on SSD adoption; my suggestion there would be Samsung's non-Pro 840 or their upcoming replacement for it, the 840 EVO. There's only so much you can do with $500 especially with the state of your market & currency (760s start at $250 in the US).
    Is not a leg.
    Frobnitz Ichor Liquor purveyors don't need compasses to tell which way the moon sounds.

Yeah I would probably also consider postponing the SSD in favor of a platform upgrade along with a new GPU. Might be possible with $500, or you could at least upgrade the mobo/CPU/RAM and save some money for a new GPU within the next few months. Rumor has it AMD will release their next generation of GPUs within that time frame, and then you can get more performance for your money (even with Nvidia, since they'd most likely be forced to respond with price cuts).

Obscure Node
    Hmm, very good points, thank you. I'd prefer to get a 760 than a lower-grade GPU, so I can SLI it next time I feel an upgrade is in order and still be ahead (I intended to do this when originally buying the 260, but obviously ended up not upgrading for four years). So perhaps it would be better to turn the order around and upgrade MB/CPU/RAM, and then either get an SSD and postpone the GPU, or get a cheaper GPU and postpone the SSD.
    What MB/CPU would you recommend?

Obscure Node
    On the other hand, if I upgrade the MB/CPU/RAM now, but keep the antiquated 260, I probably won't see much of a noticeable improvement in gameplay, will I?
    As for CPU/mobo, would AMD Vishera FX-8320 and Gigabyte 970A-DS3 be a good choice? (I didn't pick these entirely at random - it's the combination I found in a gaming rig I might theoretically buy if I was buying a new one) If I added a GTX 760 to this order and skipped RAM for now, I could probably stretch the budget to fit.

The GPU would probably produce more gameplay improvement but I'm not really sure; in any case, your CPU would be hobbled by strategy games with lots of units crawling around. That processor was a budget-class unit when it was new.

Your CPU/mobo choice is fine, or you could get e.g. an i3 3250 and ASRock H77-M for a touch less (in the US market, anyway) and come out ahead in single-threaded performance. You could OC the 8320, ofc.

You'll need new RAM for a current-generation CPU/mobo as they use DDR3.

Again, I'd just save until I could get the whole kit at once, but I guess I'm weird; I'd rather get the whole improvement at once than languish with spanking new silicon stuck in a clunker. Barring that (and given your apparent preferences) I'd get a 760 now and save until I could upgrade the core. By that time AMD's Steamroller might be out, which may be worthwhile even in relation to the current FX series and/or might cause some Intel competition at the same price tiers. I'd then worry about an SSD later on.
    Is not a leg.
    Frobnitz Ichor Liquor purveyors don't need compasses to tell which way the moon sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenda View Post
    On the other hand, if I upgrade the MB/CPU/RAM now, but keep the antiquated 260, I probably won't see much of a noticeable improvement in gameplay, will I?
    Not always, no. But the same applies the other way around; a GTX 760 would end up being held back by your current CPU most of the time.

If you're getting an FX-8320 I would recommend the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3. Better voltage regulation, basically a better power supply for the CPU. Alternatively you could get a cheaper FX-6300 which is going to be just as good in most current games, and use the money for other upgrades.

Hello! Hijacking this thread to ask advice about CPU upgrades.

I'm looking into buying a completely new desktop for gaming. From the page I'm getting it there are "templates" in which you can configure the setup from a few choices. The computer I'm looking at uses the following i5 as standard:

Intel Core i5-4670, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 6MB, 84W, HD4600, Boxed w/fan, Haswell

I can get the following two i7s by adding cash:

Intel Core i7-4770 Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 8MB, 84W, HD4600, Boxed w/fan +~129$
    Intel Core i7-4770K Quad Core, 3.5GHz, 8MB, 84W, HD4600, Boxed w/fan, Haswell +~184$

Are the i7 processors worth getting? Imagine I'm gonna be playing Planetside 2 and Rome 2 - will the i7 give me a significant boost in framerate etc. or are they only marginally better?

I'll be using a Gainward GeForce GTX 770 2GB as my GPU.

Edit: I could afford buying the processors since I have some money to spare. But perhaps I should throw some cash on something more worthwhile like the GPU?
    Last edited by Hanban; 13-08-2013 at 12:13 PM.
    BobHound - EVE Online

As far as I'm aware, the i7s aren't worth the extra cost. The performance per dollar is really low on that upgrade. If you don't have an SSD, use the 130 dollars for that. Otherwise, stick it in the bank for the next upgrade. That's what I'd do.

What kind of motherboard are you getting? You could get a Core i5-4670K instead of the plain 4670. That allows for overclocking only limited by the performance of the silicon, whereas the plain 4670 is artificially limited to a 400 MHz overclock. But overclocking requires a Z87 motherboard (and a good cooler).

Overclocking will make a bigger difference than hyperthreading, which is what the Core i7s bring to the table.

The motherboard is the "MSI Z87-G45 Gaming, Socket-1150 ATX, Z87, DDR3, 3xPCIe-x16, SLI/CFX, VGA,HDMI,DP,Killer 2200,SB Cinema, Haswell "

There are several to choose from. The 4670k was actually the standard one in the setup. The 4670 costs 16 SEK extra which made me figure it was better. Thanks for the info!

The computer is delivered with a "Cooler Master Seidon 120M CPU Cooler BULK" by default so I'm guessing I can clock it a bit then.
    BobHound - EVE Online

That's a pretty good motherboard (as long as you're okay with MSI - and with a fairly large dose of bling). Along with that cooler, overclocking should work well.