Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Excellent! Thanks for the information!
    BobHound - EVE Online

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Not always, no. But the same applies the other way around; a GTX 760 would end up being held back by your current CPU most of the time.

If you're getting an FX-8320 I would recommend the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3. Better voltage regulation, basically a better power supply for the CPU. Alternatively you could get a cheaper FX-6300 which is going to be just as good in most current games, and use the money for other upgrades.
    I'll probably go for the FX-6300, plus mobo, plus RAM and maybe plus SSD now, and get a GPU later this year. Although I might go for FX-8320 and put off the SSD for later too instead... still unsure.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wait on the SSD if you simply lookng to run games well. SSD is more quality of life upgrade allowing you to load applications and games faster, but little effect on in game quality for most games.

Obscure Node
    What kind of motherboard should I get, IF I decide to go for the FX6300 CPU and a GeForce 760 GTX? The one I mentioned before only has 2 RAM slots, and I want 4 (ideally with support for 2133 Hz RAM, since I'm buying two sticks off a friend)? Ideally, I'd like the option to SLI the GPUs in the future. Most of the mobos with an AM3 socket I see seem to only support SLI AMD GPUs, is this correct? And if it is, this doesn't necessarily mean incompatibility with NVidia GPUs (non-SLI), does it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    The GA-970A-DS3? That does have 4 RAM slots. No SLI or DDR3-2133 though. The GA-970A-UD3 I mentioned is similar in those respects, though it does offer better overclocking and reliability due to the better VRM setup.

Lots of motherboards only support Crossfire, which is AMDs equivalent of SLI. That's because Crossfire only requires an x4 connection, while SLI requires x8. Perhaps AMD Crossfire also seems a bit more attractive for motherboard vendors making motherboards for AMD CPUs. But SLI is certainly possible. It may look like it costs a lot more for a SLI-capable board than a Crossfire-capable one, but that's slightly deceptive; a board with x16/x4 is generally cheaper to make than one with x8/x8, but the latter offers superior Crossfire performance (as well as SLI support). So you're really comparing "bad Crossfire" to "good Crossfire" and "good SLI".

Oh, and you can use a single Nvidia card on a motherboard without SLI support.

Anyway, the cheapest board that offers DDR3-2133 and SLI support is probably the MSI 970A-G46. But it's mediocre quality at best. If you can step up to something like an MSI 990XA-GD55 you've got a much better board that will handle overclocks or processor upgrades, or just life in general, significantly better.