Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Atlus for sale: Sega in to bid

Atlus, publisher a great variety of japanese games overseas (and publisher of non japanese games like Zeno Clash), is up for auction after their parent company went bankrupt. Shin Memagi Tensei/Persona and Trauma center are their most well known developed series. They also have published the likes of Disgaea, Demon Souls (thank them for making Dark Souls possible), and Sting Entertainment games (lots of different tactical RPGs).

Sega Sammy is one of the companies in the running to acquire them. Sega has been one of the few publishers who are willing to publisher on PC along with consoles. While I end up owning most consoles and end up owning a lot of Atlus games anyway, I do hope Sega gets them and pushes for PC releases. Cheaper Steam sale games and more great games are open to a larger audience. Even the portable based games would be a hit on PC.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/5/4589...-for-atlus-bid

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Would that mean that Sega could release Demon Souls on PC?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    ^Not really, they still need to have permission from Sony, I think.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    They also have published the likes...Demon[sic] Souls
    Only in the US and Canada (and even then it was their US division). Sony published it in Japan and Namco Bandai in the EU. NB also published (WW) and funded Dark Souls and are doing the same with DaSII. So it's really them we have to thank.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Demons Souls would not have gotten the chance to become as popular as it is if Atlus had not risked publishing and localizing it for overseas. It also brought back the discussion of "Games being difficult" as a good thing that has been missing from games.

With the critical and commercial success of the game, Sony Computer Entertainment VP of international software Yeonkyung Kim later admitted that it was a "mistake" to pass on the game, instead allowing Atlus to publish it, initially due to concerns over its difficulty and unusual design decisions
    Yah, it would be interesting if they would be able to get Demon Souls ported and published to PC. With the HD update ever the popular thing I would imagine there is money there to port it to PC.

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    If Sega does buy Atlus, I do hope they release Catherine on PC. That game always seemed interesting to me.
    But where did he come from, this fleck of spite in an abandoned paradise?

Since I loathe Sega as a company, I only hope with all my heart this does not happen.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Why do you loathe Sega, Battlehenkie? They're generally regarded as being pretty great, so I'm rather curious to know.

Sega Sammy recently posted a reasonable profit in their last financial release. I wouldn't be surprised if this does happen then. Also, it'd mean we could get a Dark Souls character in to Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed. (I have not played Dark Souls yet, so I have no idea who. It'd just be hilarious.)
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    With Football Manager and Sonic Racing being published by them it is hard not to like Sega.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Dark Souls - Developed by From Software, Published by Namco Bandai for all regions

Demon Souls - Developed by From Software, Published by Sony JP, Atlus USA, Namco Bandai EU

Atlus does not have any more association with the Souls series after the first game. Once it become a small hit Namco came through to fund and publish a sequel to all regions.

The Shin Megami Tensei series has a great variety of RPGs that has some sort of focus on Demons in some way. I think they would do well to a bigger audience. I have quite a few of the games and most are great games.

Trauma Center would work on PC. Its based around touch/pointer controls. Mouse can substitute for it.

Etrian Odyssey is up to #4 now and #1 is getting a remake with a Story mode (with named characters as you party). Seeing how Legend of Grimrock did this series has potential on PC

Published but not developed:

A lot of Sting Entertainment games are on game boy but seeing the appeal of indie games people would buy ports of them.

Ogre Battle, Dragoncrown, driving RPG game based on toy cars, Cubivore (before block-voxel was the cool thing to do), Luminous Arc, bunch of DS games, and other games. A lot what they local and publish you just don't see being developed from western developers. I hope they just see the potential to the PC market in the future and how it will have a lighter affect on cannibalizing other platform sales.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Also, it'd mean we could get a Dark Souls character in to Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed. (I have not played Dark Souls yet, so I have no idea who. It'd just be hilarious.)
    Off topic: My one major gripe with SASRT (?), is that a lot of the characters are awful. Oh and the Samba music is ear-rape.

On topic: Gimmie Dragon's Crown! Gimmie, gimmie gimmie!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    My primary concern is the fate of the Etrian Odyssey series. Would love to see those come to PC, actually.

Etrian Odyssey is up to #4 now and #1 is getting a remake with a Story mode (with named characters as you party). Seeing how Legend of Grimrock did this series has potential on PC
    Story mode? Premade characters? What the hell are they thinking, they're going to wreck the whole damned frachise.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The remake is still going to have the open party mode. Its going to be on the EO4 3DS engine and have both options. Its basically a easy mode like EO4 introduced.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/18/et...out-to-casual/

I finally beat the last stratum in EO1 a few months back. I hated having to use a defender to defeat the final boss and the dragons. The final boss follows a pattern unless you do something like a debuff on him. Frustrating design. Funny to get a weapon unlock from him, which seems kinda pointless since there is nothing left to kill. EO is a nice example not requiring but allowing a way to min/max your characters (you can retire characters which give bonus stats to a new character they mentor).

Banned
    So basically only good thing they ever done was publishing Demon's Souls overseas which would've happened anyway if they weren't the ones to do it.

Pffft

Why do you loathe Sega, Battlehenkie? They're generally regarded as being pretty great, so I'm rather curious to know.

Sega Sammy recently posted a reasonable profit in their last financial release. I wouldn't be surprised if this does happen then. Also, it'd mean we could get a Dark Souls character in to Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed. (I have not played Dark Souls yet, so I have no idea who. It'd just be hilarious.)
    To be honest, the reasons are rather selfish but still valid and not really connected to PC gaming. The Dreamcast was my favorite console and there is no doubt in my mind that its utter and complete failure financially (not critically) is certainly due to Sega's incompetence of making people aware it even exists. My main gripe is how Shenmue 1&2 were commercial failures yet some of the highest critically acclaimed games ever, as well as my personal favorites. Sega has done nothing with the series since and refuses to transfer the license to the original maker. The franchise is rotting away somewhere. Where's Skies of Arcadia 2?

I agree with you that Sonic All Stars is a great game, but nevertheless has succeeded in drawing attention away from Sega releasing one utterly shite Sonic game after another for years on end. People often moan about Nintendo putting out the same IP's again and again, but Sega pulling the Sonic card is beyond comparison in the gaming industry.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar

Well Sega ain't without sin. They exploited youtube content claim system to promote their new game, while destroying shitloads of smaller channels and marking bigger ones.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    So basically only good thing they ever done was publishing Demon's Souls overseas which would've happened anyway if they weren't the ones to do it.

Pffft
    If Atlus had not published it I doubt we would have seen the game overseas at all. Was not picked up for EU until the success of the NA release.

If by good things for PC, then yes, thank them for Dark Souls happening and enough player interest to get a PC port. Hopefully if Sega gets them they will port some of their games to PC, since they seem willing to invest into PC ports and PC companies (Relic, Creative).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlehenkie View Post
    The Dreamcast was my favorite console and there is no doubt in my mind that its utter and complete failure financially (not critically)
    I was under the impression that it actually did well, just not setting the world alight kinda well, hence why it couldn't make up for the Saturn. I really wish I'd gone for the 10 Dreamcasts a Virgin Megastore near me was selling before they died. Ah well. I mean I can understand your rationale, although I do think it's somewhat dated. I'll get onto that in the response to the next person's post (hopefully you'll see why then).

I agree with you that Sonic All Stars is a great game, but nevertheless has succeeded in drawing attention away from Sega releasing one utterly shite Sonic game after another for years on end.
    That was true as of a few years ago, but the tide is turning. Sonic in 3D was a shambles - 3D Blast was nigh-uncontrollable, the Adventure series is now gazed upon with nostalgia glasses so thick you'd need a diamond-tipped tool to drill through them, Sonic Heroes was laughable and the less said about 2006 the better. Even Unleashed, where it started to turn around, was 66% poor (or 100% if you don't like the 'modern' gameplay style born from it) but Colours was received critically well, Generations equally/more so and the upcoming Lost World has people more excited about that than Super Mario 3D World because the console wars never truly ended. The dislike for Colours and Generations seemingly comes from those Complaining About Things You Haven't Played. Not in all cases, obviously, but they're of a much higher objective quality than previous titles, competent games in their own right and pretty fun.

Obviously it'd be nice for Sega to revive some of its other franchises that have been lost in limbo, but Sonic does sell and at least now they're making the effort to make it good again. As someone who grew up with 2D Sonic (and Mario) it's nice to actually be excited for a new game in the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    Well Sega ain't without sin. They exploited youtube content claim system to promote their new game, while destroying shitloads of smaller channels and marking bigger ones.
    Yeah, that was pretty stupid. It was also one part of Sega, namely the Japanese side. The western side (Europe and America, basically) really don't care about those things and are happy for them to go ahead. It's the Japanese side that's holding up the character voted DLC for All Stars Racing. A massive case of the left-hand not knowing what the right-hand is doing. The western side is the one putting a load of old content up available on almost every digital platform, doing the HD re-releases. The extent to this stupidity knows no bounds, considering in the west they hired the guy who re-did Sonic CD along with someone else to give Sonic 1 the same treatment and release it on smartphones (and hopefully elsewhere) whilst the Japanese division also did a re-release of Sonic 1 as a '3D classic' for the 3DS. Obviously different platforms, but come on guys, work it out?

Hell, I don't think you can actually get All Stars Racing in Japan. It's actually barmy. Sega have such a wealthy catalogue, but without great management, they're going to continue limping along.

If by good things for PC, then yes, thank them for Dark Souls happening and enough player interest to get a PC port. Hopefully if Sega gets them they will port some of their games to PC, since they seem willing to invest into PC ports and PC companies (Relic, Creative).
    In the recent financial report, Sega have further committed themselves to all digital platforms. I wouldn't be surprised if they happened to be the first publisher to go digital only, whenever that time comes.