Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar

Singleplayer Borderlands experience?

I'm about to move onto a new game and have Borderlands GOTY sitting there for me, but I'm findng it hard to discover thoughts on it singleplayer as opposed to co-op for some reason?

Does anyone a) recommend it single player or b) want to be my friend and play it with me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Borderlands 1 is playable in singleplayer, but it will get frustrating. And don't even bother trying a new-game+ without a coop partner.

I found Lilith to be the most SP-friendly since her action skill is actually useful (Roland's turret is crap, Mordechai's bloodwing is so awkward that they make fun of it in Borderlands 2, and Brick's punching crap is fun but tactically stupid).

Just don't expect to do Mad Moxxi's DLC by yourself. It is doable, but gets very frustrating without someone to split the enemies.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Other than the Mad Moxxi DLC, the first time I completed BL1 I did it by myself and had a good time (as Mordecai). There are advantages and disadvantages to both SP and co-op, so I wouldn't necessarily say one is better than the other. I had plenty fun both ways.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

I got extremely frustrated trying to play this game in single player, though I admit I was playing as the soldier guy with the useless turret.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    I played through it solo using the soldier guy with the turret and had a blast. But then, I am easily amused by loud noises. I did draw the line at the Underdome though - once was more than enough.
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

I originally began play as Roland... but it's difficult without a partner because Roland's turret ability doesn't appear to be nearly as beneficial as a source of extra firepower without a teammate or two to back you up.

I had 9 max level char and about 1000 hrs of gameplay in the original BL so I can tell a thing or two about it I guess. Siren is most newbie friendly, however any class is good for damage output. You will need to farm Craw or Knoxx for weapons though. Go to the GBX forums and see the BL 1 section for parts guide (to spot what parts weapon has and how do they affect it). Looking at build guides could also be a big help. But dont pigeon hole yourself into a build before end-game as you will most probably would not have gear to match it. How much you can farm for gear depends on your likeness of "farming" activities. But I'd advice doing that with people or friends so that there is a chance or more (or allegedly better loot). Here is what I have to say about characters:
    1. Siren: Most newbie friendly and lot of versatility. Later you can learn how to even use Phasewalk offensively (See Tormenter and Catalyst build guide)
    2. Soldier: Lets get it out of the way "Turret is crap and worth only for distraction and spreading DoT. But it serves that purpose". Commando and Heavy Gunner are damage monsters in the end-game
    3. Hunter: Best single target dmg output I think (with Ranger + Unforgiven Masher). Also, the bird is awesome for stunning enemies and health steal.
    4. Brick: Best tank I think. Highest bleedout time and one of the quickest shield recharges and once you go with explosive dmg weapons, you blast everything to bits end game.
    Of course, all of this is end game. I highly recommend going through the "New User guide" in the BL General Discussion section before anything.

I played Borderlands solo for... 116 minutes, according to Steam. The respawning stuff whenever I went anywhere was rather boring - uninstalled and never felt like coming back. Kind of a shame.

I very much enjoyed it in singleplayer. I don't think multiplayer is particularly necessary to enjoy either BL, to be honest.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Dunno about BL1 but in BL2, co-op is eons easier than SP because a lot of the mobs are put in place specifically to fuck with your day.

Yes, you can deal with a Super Badass Pyre Thresher and his half-dozen thresher friends while solo, but when the motherfucker downs you every time it pops out the ground, you'd better get really good at keeping soft targets alive so you can revive off of them. By comparison, in co-op, a single Siren can take the pressure off even the ridiculous legions of enemies in a full four-man thanks to her insta-rez ability and passive healing, to say nothing of having the enemies' focus diffused among all the players and their turrets/pets.

That said, solo's still doable and I soloed my way to finish the game on True Vault Hunter Mode.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I played it through in SP and enjoyed it - my advice is

1 play the mentalist Berserker guy because he's just much more fun to play and MUCH more solo friendly

2 play on a higher difficulty - this counters the effect the game has of letting you 'get ahead of the content'

3 don't play any DLC at all until you've completed the game (because that makes 2 worse again)

Horses for courses but if you like shooting shit, Borderlands has more of that than any other SP game I can think of and it's never that repetitive (other than the fact it makes you play the whole game twice to be high enough level to play the DLC - which was stupid)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    (other than the fact it makes you play the whole game twice to be high enough level to play the DLC - which was stupid)
    That's not true. The DLC has a "first pass" and "second pass" (and a second pass +) just like the basic game content. You can easily play through the DLC at the end of a first playthrough, though it will cause you to be overlevel if you decide to start a new game + of the original.

Network Hub
    I don't know why people think the turret is bad...mostly because it doesn't outright kill enemies I guess. When I played through BL1 solo as a Roland I used my turret as a giant health and ammo dispenser. It was quite useful when I was nearly dead to pop it out while I was behind a wall and let it heal and rearm me so could come out and do the killing. If I deployed it other than those occasions it was to draw monsters away from me. By the end I actually felt like I may have relied on it as a crutch too much to get me through the game, so I really don't know how people think it is underpowered. If anything this thread shows that any class is viable in SP if you are just willing to experiment with all the builds to figure out what works for your playstyle.

Activated Node
    I quite enjoyed BL1 in singleplayer. Never did much co-op.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Perfectly good fun in SP, played through with Mordecai and happily got through Zombie Island and General Knoxx DLCs (although burned out by Claptrap seeing as I was massively overleveleld). His bloodwing skill is kind of rubbish early on but once you unlock the skill that allows it to take down multiple enemies it becomes a pretty good companion. Also had a lot of fun doing gunslinger builds instead of sniper, as some of the 2-shot revolvers are really good and reloading becomes easy when you get the skill which makes it happen quicker the more you kill/damage.

It's a bit Divine Divinity-ish though in allowing you to go places easrly on which will wreck you. Whereas Diablo gives you a nice progression, go down the wrong cave in Borderlands and you come face to face with some sort of badass, blue-glowing asshat who shrugs off that gun which has eviscerated everything up to this point. So there can be a bit of grinding to be done.

Main complaint is the vehicles are dull and a pain to use.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    I didn't enjoy it in SP, the only time I had any fun was with a coop partner, and even then I found the first one pretty boring. Unlike the others I'd suggest just picking whatever class you feel like playing and go from there, but you will need to be more careful in SP. Otherwise you'll just get rushed all the time and that's no fun.

Network Hub
    Singleplayer is fun, even more fun than coop i guess. it's good to follow the story behind the game before immersing in MP.

Banned
    If you liked Diablo 2 there's no reason to not like BL.

I too would recommend the Siren on the grounds that her skill also has uses out of combat, when you simply and ordinarily just need to go from one place to another.

Just stay away from the elemental guns.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Borderlands 1 is playable in singleplayer, but it will get frustrating. And don't even bother trying a new-game+ without a coop partner.

I found Lilith to be the most SP-friendly since her action skill is actually useful (Roland's turret is crap, Mordechai's bloodwing is so awkward that they make fun of it in Borderlands 2, and Brick's punching crap is fun but tactically stupid).

Just don't expect to do Mad Moxxi's DLC by yourself. It is doable, but gets very frustrating without someone to split the enemies.
    You don't usually post stuff with as little consideration as to what you're saying gundato. Then again, I guess everyone's experience of the game is going to be different.

BL1 is very playable in single player, especially in playthrough 2 which is when the game gets very good. Just make sure you don't over-level yourself (see the Gearbox forums for guides on avoiding it).
    Last edited by popej; 14-12-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. Think I'll give it a go in singleplayer once I rule Japan (and in the game).