Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I see a mix of negative and positive... And I think all is true. What I cant predict is my own opinion. I miss demos.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Thanks to those giving their feedback, it's been helpful! Since the Americans are late, MetaCritic doesn't yet allow actual player reviews and that's usually a nice way to quickly get the pros and cons without going to all kinds of different forums or search through article comments. I think I'm glad I held off on this one. The negative responses point out exactly those things I wasn't too sure about when reading and watching some reviews.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Activated Node
    10/10

So much re-playability

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by augustuskent View Post
    10/10

So much re-playability
    But the game's only been out a few days. How can you know this :/

Steam says I've played 24 hours now. I think I'm about half way through the story, since I just recently arrived to the second island. I'm still loving it, probably the best game this year for me.

I mostly get Skyrim or GW2 vibes, just going around and constantly getting distracted (oo what's there). Maybe it's just me but I enjoy those radio towers a lot. It sure has a lot of Assassin's Creed in it too. A curious mix. I've always been a huge fan of these immersive animations that they had in fc2 already. Your character actually pushes buttons and turns levers and so on.

The crafting is a nice addition. It's superficial and definitely gamey, but it gives you a reason to go hunt for certain animals, which again is a nice change from hunting men. The poker is well made too, animations especially. Think I've played that in game for at least two hours too :D

It's a shooter but I kind'a feel that it's a more varied sandbox than Skyrim. But yeah, without horribad menus and with some more survival depth this would be 12/10 game. Now it's just 9/10.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
    But the game's only been out a few days. How can you know this :/
    Well there's so much Ubisoft Padding™... You're replaying everything you saw in the first couple of hours over and over again.
    Far Cry 2 was more focused. It had more interesting outposts and locations and reacted better to the player's actions. The charging enemies and heavies of Far Cry 3 are a mistake (although heavy takedowns are great). Overall the enemies feel so goddamn boring compared to FC2's mercs.

I sure hope it has a New Game + option where I don't have to waste my time hunting, unlocking skills and weapons. The takedowns are very fun and the wingsuit is beyond awesome. I dread going through the story missions again but I'm up for more sandbox carnage if I keep all the skills and weapons. Grinding for camo and attachments is fine, they're not that important.

It's a good game but I wanted Far Cry 2 - Part 2 not Far Cry: Assassin's Creed Edition. I hoped the series would get an AC1-to-AC2 style upgrade - but not literally. It's too bloated and unfocused. FC2 worked because it focused on a couple of things which it did really well and trusted the player.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The acting stands out to me. I'm only a couple hours in, met the first survivor, and I'm impressed with both Vaas and the German professor, the little eccentricities, the dramatic pauses, the hand-waving, it all just makes the characters feel more alive than most games I've played. The MC's voice actor is decent too, I like the fact that he sounds more like a frightened and confused man rather than a Sgt. Roid MacBalls.
    It's too early for me to say something about the gameplay, but the game does feel pretty easy from the section I have played. I hope it gets harder later on.

@SirKicksalot You've convinced me to give FC 2 another go. I liked the game, but, like everyone else, I was pissed off by the respawning checkpoints.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    I enjoy this game. Especially big firefights with lots of enemies, friendlies, reinforcements and wild life. Almost any such firefight can be played with Yakety Sax on the background, people running around pursued by bears( sometimes on fire), firing randomly, everything is on fire and exploding etc etc. One of the most memorable moments in 2012 was me hunting a large deer or buffalo only to startle a pirate patrol who forced me to escape with 1hp and when I thought I was safe that damn buffalo rammed me with his horns and I died. Or that firefight when some friendly stole an empty enemy truck and made his escape while roadkilling an ostrich. It's a fun game.

It is easily a better STALKER game than STALKER( or at least it's "sequels"). \trolling, but not really
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Network Hub
    About the "It's a better STALKER": I'd agree, at least in the making the wildlife interesting/dangerous.
    Sprint skills, sprint potion and wingsuit is best combo. Shame I can't Fraps it well.

The drug fields mission has been a highlight so far, for sure. The first one that made me want to drop my sneaking and go gung-ho.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnox View Post
    About the "It's a better STALKER": I'd agree, at least in the making the wildlife interesting/dangerous.
    Sprint skills, sprint potion and wingsuit is best combo. Shame I can't Fraps it well.

The drug fields mission has been a highlight so far, for sure. The first one that made me want to drop my sneaking and go gung-ho.
    Its a good game but not even come close to STALKER games. in any shape or form.

Stalker was Masterpiece and this is just good game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    First STALKER is my number one FPS game but still,its no masterpiece.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    It is easily a better STALKER game than STALKER( or at least it's "sequels"). \trolling, but not really
    takes off the headphones, then sunglasses, looks condescendingly.gif

Network Hub
    The thing I Far Cry 3 is missing in comparison to Stalker and Skyrim is the commitment to world, everything you do in those games exists within the context of the world where as Far Cry 3 is much more gamey in it's approach. The world doesn't seem to have the same instances of storytelling through the environment that those games have in heaps where exploring just for the sake of exploring was it's own reward. I'm still enjoying it immensely but those are the things I feel it is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    First STALKER is my number one FPS game but still,its no masterpiece.
    Its your Fav Game of all time and still no Masterpiece?? how it make sense??

It means you love a game, no matter the flaws.

Also, RE: the patrols:

The patrols are only there until you "free" an area of a camp, then they dont appear at all anymore. Also, the more outposts you take over, the more patrols there are, which makes sense that theyre "posting more guards".
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

I really enjoyed the story, I do not agree with Jim Rossignol's opinion on it (Obviously it's his opinion, not saying he's wrong, just that I enjoyed what he didn't.).

Willis, Buck, Sam and Dennis were all really fun characters. The reggae-skrillex mission was incredible, as were the follow up missions and the final set-piece SPOILERS where you shoot everything from the Helicopter, Ride of the Valkyries playing.

Activated Node
    I fucking loved when the reggae kicked in on that mission!

Also, with teh stalker comparisons, we talk about being immersed but I like far cr better, why? Because of its systems!
    In any open world style game with FPS roots, I always judge it based on the options for playing. In Stalker, stealth was severely limited or broken, I can't tell the difference. Whilst the style and aesthetic of the world was so unique that it carried the game, the actual GAME mechanics don't support all the possible options, which is a shame. Don't get me wrong, I love the games to death, but Far Cry has always been very welcoming to different play styles in my experience.

Now Far Cry 3's world is something more familiar to me at least, but it's beauty is in the hidden secrets. The scenes of slaughter in derelict houses, the trails of destruction through abandoned WW2 bunkers and the awesome chinese tombs give me a strong sense of place within the world.

Also, I haven't read the letters, or the memory cards, but I'm sure the stories of the history of the islands would be very intriguing. Buck's history lessons were exceptional :D

Network Hub
    I've tested the for an hour...i say i want more. It's not difficult to say that this game is a good one this year.

Network Hub
    FC3 is a very entertaining game. You will still enjoy it though it's a single-player game. :)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Having passed all the tutorial crap by now, I can see it's getting more and more enjoyable this game. The story is ok, haven't progressed much into it and I can see there is a lot to explore in-between missions. While gliding I saw some caves or tombs that need some looking into. Gunplay is nice and now I got a bow I m really enjoying sneaking up on people.

However I really don't understand what prompts like 'you are leaving mission area' or 'you need to kill XXXX with a knife' are doing in an open world game. It's just ridiculous, it minimizes your choices so much. I think a patch that would remove the HUD and those silly prompts would make the game a lot better.

Also Far Cry has nothing on STALKER. In Far Cry I still get the sense that the world revolves around me, like TES, and that I can overcome the odds. STALKER is exactly the opposite and the gunplay is better in my opinion. At the same time, stealth in Far Cry seems to be based on stupid enemies. I hide in the grass, therefore they cannot see me... The bow makes it really interesting though, I can't wait to get the exploding arrows.

Still it's a really good game that I think I will spend a lot of time with but I think it will not replace my obsession with STALKER.