Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 248
  1. #101
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    60
    Well I really am enjoying it and I'm a bit surprised at that to be honest. I can never shake a feeling of, um... 'dilution'* when playing Ubisoft games normally. Farcry 3 has it a bit but not so much that it get's boring fast.

    One problem, it's faaaaaaar too easy even on the hardest difficulty setting and with 'enemy tagging' off. The only time you really die is in exploding vehicles and as a result of falling.

    *By dilution I mean diluted gameplay concepts and mechanics. Borrows from many genres or other games but is master of none of them. (I know what I mean :P)
    Last edited by popej; 03-12-2012 at 09:03 AM.

  2. #102
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    56
    I hate the main character and his friends. They are exactly the sort of people I went out of my way to get out of their way when I was backpacking in Vietnam. Fucking american booze'n'boobs tourists. I hated these people with all my heart (note: I hated the german, english, dutch, israeli and aussi booze'n'boobs tourists as well. there just weren't as many as there were americans and the americans tended to be the loudest. Though not quite as loud as middle aged german tourists.) and actually wanted bad things to happen to them.

    I love the villains though. And the drug doctor. Generally, this game has some of the best developed and best acted characters I've seen in a game in a long time. This does include the horrible american young people, by the way. My dislike of them is so pronounced, because they're so believable.

    I loved the part at the beginning where the crazy black guy introduces you to the oppressed brown guys and says "Look, here's the white guy who will save us all!"

  3. #103
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,937
    I posted this in the screenshot thread but, for those of you that don't frequent that part of the forum...

    As i've said before, I find the HUD in Far Cry 3 to be a real immersion breaker so I emailed the guys at CheatHappens.com to see if they could incorporate a no HUD feature into their Far Cry 3 trainer and, within an hour, they released an updated trainer with a toggle function for the HUD included

    Some screens...








    Admittedly, you do have to pay for their trainers but it works out to be $3.25 a month and they have trainer sfor almost every game out there.

  4. #104
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,937







  5. #105
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Okami View Post

    I love the villains though. And the drug doctor. Generally, this game has some of the best developed and best acted characters I've seen in a game in a long time.
    I may be an ass for spoiling this but if anyone's planning to buy the game for the characters, DON'T. Vaas is in the game for like 10 minutes max and everybody else except Tutorial Guy for even less.
    All that hype for nothing.
    The hell is Vaas even doing on the cover anyway?

  6. #106
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    126
    If anyone if on the fence, after a dozen or so hours I can confirm that this is Just Cause 2 without the grapple hook but with huntable wildlife. The AI is as dismal as JC2 and I'm getting a little bored.

    If you loved JC2 and like the Assassins Creed style of gameplay then you will like this.

  7. #107
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by JimDigritz View Post
    If anyone if on the fence, after a dozen or so hours I can confirm that this is Just Cause 2 without the grapple hook but with huntable wildlife. The AI is as dismal as JC2 and I'm getting a little bored.

    If you loved JC2 and like the Assassins Creed style of gameplay then you will like this.
    I'd say this is to JC2 what GTA4 was to SR2.

  8. #108
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    85
    This game is seems so divisive I gotta play it.

  9. #109
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,603
    Far Cry's disability to save whenever I want is really putting me off, doing a big portion all over again every time I die is so tedious. That and the awful slow map and menu's, it takes forever to access the crafting menu and takes you out of the game.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

  10. #110
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Far Cry's disability to save whenever I want is really putting me off, doing a big portion all over again every time I die is so tedious. That and the awful slow map and menu's, it takes forever to access the crafting menu and takes you out of the game.
    F1 brings up the crafting menu.

  11. #111
    Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    550
    Why, oh why did they have to ditch the map mechanic from Far Cry 2?

    The thing I liked the most about FC2 was how organic the gameplay felt. Everything from the minimal usage of HUD elements to the way the player character interacted with the environment (opening doors, grabbing for diamonds, applying bandages) added to that. And yes, you had to actually look at the map to orient yourself; no sprinting like a mad man or handling a bazooka while navigating. I'm kinda sad to see this gone.

    Other than that, Far Cry 3 looks really solid.

  12. #112
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus jnx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    1,198
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    Why, oh why did they have to ditch the map mechanic from Far Cry 2?

    The thing I liked the most about FC2 was how organic the gameplay felt. Everything from the minimal usage of HUD elements to the way the player character interacted with the environment (opening doors, grabbing for diamonds, applying bandages) added to that. And yes, you had to actually look at the map to orient yourself; no sprinting like a mad man or handling a bazooka while navigating. I'm kinda sad to see this gone.

    Other than that, Far Cry 3 looks really solid.
    Not only that but the new map is cumbersome since you'll be referring to it quite a lot. I too miss the maps from FC2. Though the zoomlevels were always a bit confusing.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

  13. #113
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,323
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    Not only that but the new map is cumbersome since you'll be referring to it quite a lot. I too miss the maps from FC2. Though the zoomlevels were always a bit confusing.
    It's not just cumbersome, it's broken. The zoom and the pan functions completely stop working periodically, at least for me. I don't know why fixing the stale gameplay had to come at the cost of all FC2's immersive elements, but I do think that FC3 is a better game.

  14. #114
    Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    Not only that but the new map is cumbersome since you'll be referring to it quite a lot. I too miss the maps from FC2. Though the zoomlevels were always a bit confusing.
    Yes, the actual implementation was far from perfect, I agree (it took me quite a while to realize you could change zoom levels with the reload key after taking a longer break from the game). But the concept itself was novel and fitting the game quite nicely. It's a bit disappointing to see that they opted against building on the idea and improving the mechanic and instead simply replaced it by a conventional mini-map.

  15. #115
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    It's not just cumbersome, it's broken. The zoom and the pan functions completely stop working periodically, at least for me. I don't know why fixing the stale gameplay had to come at the cost of all FC2's immersive elements, but I do think that FC3 is a better game.
    On the most recent Idle Thumbs they address this; 'easier to play' does not mean 'better game'.

    I'm enjoying the game that is FC3, but on balance I think I prefer FC2. It places you in that world more, and makes you uncomfortable to be there. FC3 is a big stupid party. A fun party, but a party nonetheless. FC2 was a journey.

  16. #116
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    143
    I hate journeys. Think I'll stick to the party!

  17. #117
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8
    A valid choice. :)

  18. #118
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,547
    Did anyone figure out how to play/launch a private Coop game with less than 4 players?

  19. #119
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Far Cry's disability to save whenever I want is really putting me off, doing a big portion all over again every time I die is so tedious. That and the awful slow map and menu's, it takes forever to access the crafting menu and takes you out of the game.
    F9 quicksaves, F11 quickloads. F1-F4 open menus.

  20. #120
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    85
    Has anyone played Far Cry 2 with that one total conversion mod?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •